WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2019, 01:52 AM
Texas

Hails from United States
Sierra Victory

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sierra Victory
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Please give me info I can use to improve on any aspect of my painting you find lacking. I would like to have my future studies focus on areas that I need to improve. My entries have been denied acceptance into major painting competitions and I would like to focus on to improve. Thanks for your help!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would like to improve my brushwork and color application.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2019, 11:33 PM
Singapore

Hails from United States
Re: Sierra Victory

Nice painting!

I am a beginner, so my opinion may not be as important. However here it goes: Two things got my attention.

The cowboy on the horse is waving his arm with something in his hand. That arm seems too long to me. Proportion seems a little off.

The sitting person's right arm looks a little off. I think, I should be able to see the elbow of the right arm, even if in shadow.

That's my two cents. Good luck with the competitions.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2019, 02:22 AM

Marvellous painting, and a delightful style. At first I thought this was a digital painting, then I read the intro and saw it's actually oil on linen. I have yet to try linen and often wonder if the extra expense would be worth it. I can't find anything lacking, what with the superb detail and amazing light effects taking centre stage. The guitarist and fire act as the main focal points and the rest play a wonderful supporting role.

First class. Top drawer! Excellent!!

B
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2019, 07:54 PM

The contrasting orange and blue make for a very striking painting, and is a plan which works fairly well here. So you're on the right track here.

My overall impression is you tried to cram too much into too small of space and have compressed the spaces between the different items too much. The horse behind the guitar player would have to be standing in a hole to be as close as he is and still be standing. I notice you hiding a lot of anatomy - the hands of the upraised rider, the lower portions of the horses, and the feet of the guitar player. (as mentioned elsewhere, the arm is too long on the rider)

The poor guitar player! His feet are in the fire. If you had given some space between the player and the fire you could have placed the feet on him and so grounded him in place.

I feel you are also competing against yourself here. What is the subject? The fire blazing on the coffee pot, the guitar, the player, the rider with the upraised arm, or the chuck wagon. Each is competing equally for my attention so I jump from one to another. I have no reason to know what the saddle bags represent, but perhaps I am just dense. Consider the way the leather connecting strap between the two bags just lays there - maybe there was a way to design it to have more curve make it appear to be falling or rising to give more interest.

The guitar neck isn't pointed down the center line of the guitar and so looks weird to me.

Really, to me it is the space compression and the competition between the parts which are its most concerning faults to my eye. They're the things which made it feel claustrophobic almost to me. Separating the player from the rest of the items by moving the fire forward, the rider back could do some good to make it seem like some space. I dabbled roughly with the pic for a couple minutes and came up with this as an example of what I was discussing above.

This piece has so much promise, I hope to see more.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2019, 11:05 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenko
Nice painting!

I am a beginner, so my opinion may not be as important. However here it goes: Two things got my attention.

The cowboy on the horse is waving his arm with something in his hand. That arm seems too long to me. Proportion seems a little off.

The sitting person's right arm looks a little off. I think, I should be able to see the elbow of the right arm, even if in shadow.

That's my two cents. Good luck with the competitions.

Hi Shenko,

Thanks so much for your comments. I will take your proportion concerns to heart. Thanks so much for your input!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2019, 11:08 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemax
Marvellous painting, and a delightful style. At first I thought this was a digital painting, then I read the intro and saw it's actually oil on linen. I have yet to try linen and often wonder if the extra expense would be worth it. I can't find anything lacking, what with the superb detail and amazing light effects taking centre stage. The guitarist and fire act as the main focal points and the rest play a wonderful supporting role.

First class. Top drawer! Excellent!!

B

Hi Beemax,

Thanks so much for your kind words.. All the best!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2019, 11:27 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDabbler
The contrasting orange and blue make for a very striking painting, and is a plan which works fairly well here. So you're on the right track here.

My overall impression is you tried to cram too much into too small of space and have compressed the spaces between the different items too much. The horse behind the guitar player would have to be standing in a hole to be as close as he is and still be standing. I notice you hiding a lot of anatomy - the hands of the upraised rider, the lower portions of the horses, and the feet of the guitar player. (as mentioned elsewhere, the arm is too long on the rider)

The poor guitar player! His feet are in the fire. If you had given some space between the player and the fire you could have placed the feet on him and so grounded him in place.

I feel you are also competing against yourself here. What is the subject? The fire blazing on the coffee pot, the guitar, the player, the rider with the upraised arm, or the chuck wagon. Each is competing equally for my attention so I jump from one to another. I have no reason to know what the saddle bags represent, but perhaps I am just dense. Consider the way the leather connecting strap between the two bags just lays there - maybe there was a way to design it to have more curve make it appear to be falling or rising to give more interest.

The guitar neck isn't pointed down the center line of the guitar and so looks weird to me.

Really, to me it is the space compression and the competition between the parts which are its most concerning faults to my eye. They're the things which made it feel claustrophobic almost to me. Separating the player from the rest of the items by moving the fire forward, the rider back could do some good to make it seem like some space. I dabbled roughly with the pic for a couple minutes and came up with this as an example of what I was discussing above.

This piece has so much promise, I hope to see more.

Hello Dabbler,

Thanks so much for taking time out to critique my painting!

I really wanted an artist to tear things apart so I can be a better artist. I appreciate your comments immensely. This painting is created from ten (10) different photos by an artist with limited photoshop skills. All your criticisms are things that have bothered me about this painting. I am really considering painting some areas of this painting over again. I do not know how it will turn out because I have never done it before. Currently, this piece is hanging in a gallery, but I could get it back to work on it again. What do you think?

Thanks again for your wonderful comments. Many of them are confirmations of my thoughts too.

All the best!
James
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2019, 06:03 AM

I am glad you didn't take any offense, I re-read how I worded my post and realized I could have said things much better. My only excuse is I had already put in a 17 hour day and was pretty whipped. Again, my apologies for my bluntness.

Without knowing the gallery or the type of clientele, I haven't any advice as to whether someone would purchase it as it stands. It is just as likely someone will love it as it is currently. I looked at your stuff on your website and you really some really cool stuff.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2019, 11:04 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

Start at focal and working out from there -
jeans look very good, fire looks good, hat good, arm/hand seems fuzzy unrefined in comparison, guitar neck & shape balance is off
Really don't need the shovel or pan edge in R corner, plain dirt would be fine..
Wagon seems too close but too small if it is that close.
Something off with the shadows of the wagon wheels too I think they would be away from the fire light angle..not forward..
horse behind him seems a bit close but rider seems to be at a run some size/space mismatch happening there
riders arm & the cloud glow around the saddle bag in the sky doesn't fit

The fire & the warm glow of guitar cowboy will be attractive to many general buyers.
But since you realize a few things are not quite feeling right , it does help to have more eyes nit picking it ..LOL
We all notice different things..

Some of the lighting, size & shadows issues could be due to the multi refs being different in those ways.. multi refs can be tricky that way..

The background colors seems very plain brown tones, but maybe the full moon would light up some hints of soft color.. It feels so mono toned once you get past the pretty fire glow..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=528

Last edited by ~JMW~ : 11-23-2019 at 11:08 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2019, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

Wow. This is a very ambitious piece, lots going on. I like paintings like this that make me have to look around in all the nooks and crannies to find the hidden stuff. I didnít even see the dog until the tenth time I looked at the painting. But maybe thatís not what you were going for, I donít know. Having a short attention span, I usually try to draw focus to the main subject and then sort of go blurry or softer focus on everything else as this saves me from doing all the details. So without further adieu, here is an idea of how I might have accomplished that. BUT, you are clearly VERY talented and this piece is good as is. Happy Thanksgiving.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2019, 09:24 PM
Singapore

Hails from United States

It is a nice painting and since it is already in the gallery, leave it be. Why not to make another painting of a lonely cowboy by the fire with moonlighting. Just leave all other cowboys and the wagon out. May be put his horse at the background. You seemed to be very good with this topic. Good luck!