Home Forums Explore Subjects Animal and Wildlife Subjects 100 Birds Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 389 total)
  • Author
    winecountry

This thread is open to anyone anytime. The single requirement is to do 100 birds. If you draw a flock of snow geese with 100 in a single work, that counts, if you do 20 mallards on a lake in 5 different paintings, that counts, if you do 2 birds per page on 50 sketch book pages that counts….

The time frame you set to do this is all up to you one month or 1 year, doesn’t matter. You don’t have to post every bird, but let us know which number it is if you do post.

When you join, please make a short statement letting us know what your goals are, what you hope to achieve by doing this challenge, and what limits you are setting for yourself…That’s it, the rest is all up to you

this is the thrid time I’ve given this challenge to myself, there have been 100 cheetahs, 100 horses before. I can tell you there is an amazing transformation that takes place in committing to this and a great leap in self confidence, no matter what level you are now. If you actually finish this I guarantee, you will reap many gifts from your commitment, and your work will grow by leaps and bounds.

So please feel free to join in whatever level of artist you are:thumbsup:

Constructive critiques and comments welcome.

winecountry

My statement of goals for this project:
            As some may know I recently won a spot in a wonderful show with my first serious attempt at a bird, I was very lucky, and now I want to back that up with some real knowledge and skill, so I can go further into avian art.

Here is what I hope to have at the end
            basic knowledge of anatomy, of flight, of sketching from life, I would at the end feel ready to include birds both as portrait work and in landscapes, with at least a credible level of realism. I’m setting up a time frame of 60 days which means I should average over 1 a day, I want to complete at least one very detailed work, sketch a lot more, and begin to learn some of the differences in species. I want to develop a real feeling for birds and what they are as unique lifeforms. I’ll revisit this statement at the end to see if I got my goals met.

I welcome comments and useful critiques, esp from the experienced bird artists here on WC

winecountry

For inspiration and guidance I will be using “Drawing Birds” by John Busby as my main reference and guide. He has just been named Master of the Year for 2009, and is considered the greatest living master of painting birds from life. I find this simple to understand, very clearly written, with very good guidance on important items to understand,but completely non dogmatic, and containing no step by step how tos. He has been a teacher for decades and it shows. For more info and samples of his paintings goherehttp://www.newsofthenorth.net/article/Local_News_Briefs/Local_News_Briefs/Leigh_Yawkey_names_Scottish_painter_John_Busby_as_2009_Master_Wildlife_Artist/24811,

I bought this last year at Amazon, who knew I would actually get to meet him:clap: at the show. One of the great strengths of the book is his open ended acceptance and encouragement of diverse styles, the book has many many artists works in color, and lots of sketch book pages so you can see how others are thinking. A used copy is only $10, amazing, he gives you a whole lifetime of teaching and art in birds in the beautiful pages. If I could only have one book on bird art this would be it.http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Birds-John-Busby/dp/0881926973/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242447145&sr=1-1

Here is an excerpt from the forward

” And that brings me to one of the chief challenges and benefits of drawing birds. To draw them you have to look at them. Really look at them. Not just patterns and markings, but also distinctive shapes and postures. And as you look, you are bound also to appreciate what the bird is doing. How it moves, flies, feeds , sleeps, displays and so on……Above all else though, is enjoyment, both the satisfaction of seeing your work improve, and the sheer physical pleasure of drawing and sketching.

One thing for sure: you couldn’t have a better mentor than John Busby. Mind you, don’t be fooled by the apparent simplicity of his style. It may look easy but it most certainly isn’t….” Bill Oddie

Feel free to add other resources or favorite books to your posts, to make this thread as rich as we can. My clock will start on Sunday for my 100, I can feel the excitement of entering their world inspiring me to begin.

jody007

Colleen, I am really looking forward to seeing your paintings. I will be watching.
                    Jody

IanArt

Ya I am in. My goal is to paint 100 birds in a year. I know it is a long time but I like to do very detailed work. I want the majority of my pieces to be finished paintings.

My main objective is to paint ALL the bird species native to my area. I hope to gain a better understanding of all my neighbours. I already have a fairly good knowledge of birds and hope to improve on that.

There is no way I can do 100 paintings in a year……so I am sure I will be doing a few pieces with several birds in it.

Ian

IanArt

I think I will lower my standards a bit. I will only do the ones that I see……because quite frankly I don’t have a hope of photographing half the species in this area :) Anyway, I will do my best.

Ian

timwootton

Colleen, you’ve done it this time, young lady!
                                Not only suggesting such a splendid theme and, albeit informal, structure, but you go and drop “sir” John Busby into the melt! I know you know John is a friend and mentor of mine (as well as hundreds of other artists who would aspire to attaining a modicum of his genius).
                                Although still struggling away with a certain project, and out most of the week with RSPB duties, I see no way that a challenge of this ilk could not be accepted. Therefore in the spirit of your own Artist’s Statement, mine will be to complete 100 sketchbook sheets of drawings from life in the next five months (or thereabouts). I certainly won’t post them all (sketchbooks are, after all, for personal expression and I occasionally ‘express’ more than I ought), but I’ll attempt at at least a couple a week.
                                Do we post on this thread?

Regarding bibliography; you have already cited the bible, so I’ll just add ‘Bird Island’ (or ‘On’, in its native Swedish) by the one and only Lars Jonsson.

New Book "Drawing & Painting Birds"

Wildlife and Landscape Painting: http://tim-wootton.blogspot.com

winecountry

Oh boy Tim this is just the BEST! having you along on this flight, after I saw Busby’s work I just knew he was a big influence on you, and thought you must know him as he’s in Scotland. Welcome to the challenge, can’t wait so see some work.:clap:

winecountry

Great Ian, will be wonderful to have you in the flock:lol: …..adjust the boundaries in any way you like, the only one set in stone is the 100

Colleen,
                                        This challenge is unbearably attractive to me and a bit daunting! I have a bunch of illustrations to do for a wildlife refuge which includes over 40 birds. Maybe I will include them in the total and then I might have a chance of finishing this challenge up sometime in my lifetime!

I followed the thread when you did the 100 horses challenge. It was fascinating!

winecountry

be great to have you Shari, only 60 extra to do:lol:

timwootton

Thanks Collen – just waiting for your first image post now ;)

New Book "Drawing & Painting Birds"

Wildlife and Landscape Painting: http://tim-wootton.blogspot.com

Rahul Parekh

Hi Colleen,

You challenge is looking achievable. I’m thinking to step in as once i depicted 40 birds in 1 painting. It was amazing as well as deadly experience :). That painting has taken my lots of days.

I’m IN. Promise will try my best to depict 100 indian birds in 1 painting with detailed work without depicting nature wrongfully :thumbsup:. Am i overconfident :confused:.

Hope will get the desired success :)

Wish your every dream come true & love to see your work too…Happy Painting.

Cheers…Rahul

www.rahulparekhwildlife.com rahulparekhwildlife.blogspot.com
                                                    Facebook
                                                    Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

moodymand

I think I am in…

100 birds over a year (no way I can be as speedy as I was with the horses), both sketches and paintings… I will be purchasing a dedicated sketchbook on Tuesday, and I also hope to produce some painted work. Since I am not completely confident on this subject, I think studies with some detail will help me more here, though I may go for some looser work as well, as I did with the horses.

My goal is to basically become more confident in drawing birds… their anatomy (especially the wings, which I have already looked at a little bit but still do not understand them completely) and the different types. There’s such a wealth of bird types that I have decided to stick to British birds (or rather, ones that can be seen in Britain – both native and migrants). I think I will leave the more exotic kinds for another time, although that might change further down the road… if I feel at some point I must paint a flamingo, so be it :lol:

THANKS for this Colleen and I look forward to seeing everyone’s work!!

daisyree

I think I’m in too. But I’m giving myself a year to complete the 100. I’m also planning on doing some life studies. Let’s hope it’ll work out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 389 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.