WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2009, 08:10 PM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: A Study on Natural Elements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticelf
Beats me, Patrick, but maybe Pamela and Harold could give it a try. Ya nevah know!
I knew someone would come up with some names
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2009, 11:43 PM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

Patrick, I'm not sure if you are asking about paint brushes or scratch brushes? If it's paint brushes I usually use fairly cheap synthetic ones, whatever will hold water. If it's scratch brushes I make my own using small brass tubes that you can get at most hardware stores or carving supplies stores. I buy a cheap wire brush with long stiff bristles, the kind that you might use to clean rust off metal, maybe $3.00 or so. I cut the bristles off the big wire brush and insert them in the small brass tubes them crimp the tube. Sometimes I solder them in, sometimes glue them. With this method I can make about any size brush I need with however many bristles I need. A big wire brush will make a bunch of little ones. Here's a couple pictures but in this instance I can't find my big brush, duh, so I used a very find carbon steel wire that I had when carving and used it. It's really stiff and hard to cut. I used the quarter for size reference. These are two different size tubes but you can actually get them in many sizes.

Here are the two brushes finished, one is 5 bristles and one is 2 bristles. Normal wire bristles are more flexible than these depending on how long you leave the bristles sticking out of the tube. Sometimes this is useful when trying to scratch lightly.

I hope I helped answer your question as far as my brushes go. If not let me know, I'll try again.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Hails from United States

Harold could help you with bushes or brushes.

Mark

Last edited by caribouhills : 09-09-2009 at 11:55 PM.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2009, 12:20 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Harold, that's all good advice for sure and I'll definitely learn from that, but as Mark notes, I said
Quote:
I need some bushes. I'm just wondering if anyone who is really good at bushes......

I see you and Pamela as brilliant when it comes to bushes and reckon if you could put some of your past ones up here, it would help a lot of people, me included.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2009, 12:35 AM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

I feel like I sat on a woopee cushion in room full of church ladies for some reason. My reeding is as bad as my riting sometimes, especially when I try speed reading in hopes of keeping up with everything. But heck maybe some one will find it useful, at least I hope so because I don't know much about BUSHES. Please Pam, bail me out.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2009, 01:02 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

No seriously, you do bushes, trees and vegetation as well as anyone. And I'm in need of that
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2009, 01:12 AM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

A couple of questions. What type b u s h e s are you interested in. evergreen or leafy type and are you wanting lots of limbs or more foliage?
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2009, 03:17 AM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbonzo
I feel like I sat on a woopee cushion in room full of church ladies for some reason.

Harold you crack me up with your witty comebacks!

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2009, 03:42 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbonzo
A couple of questions. What type b u s h e s are you interested in. evergreen or leafy type and are you wanting lots of limbs or more foliage?
I guess all. I want to put zebras in a setting but all types will be useful to give us an idea how to do it.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2009, 07:05 AM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

Patrick, I'll see what I can come up with. You do such great Zebras you don't need no stinkin' bushes.

Mark, that's pretty good buddy, my wife got a great laugh. Boy did I feel doofy.

Lorna, No way to hide that goof, it's even worse when you are dumb around the world.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Lancashire - England- Uk

Hails from England

you guys are sooooo funny!

Please check out my work on my website ~ Thanks!!http://traceyhollisrowe.moonfruit.com
http://Facebook.com/TraceyHollisRoweArtist
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2009, 03:09 PM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

Patrick, I looked but couldn't find many finished bushes that I've done. So maybe I don't know what I'm doing but I will show and explain how I would do them if I did them. They are enlarged quit a bit also so they look pretty rough. I did these on a 5x7 board, about half of it.
SMALL THICKLY LEAFED BUSH
I used my diamond ball bit to scribble in the ruff shape of the bush. This one works best for distant bushes or bushes crowded in around rocks, trees or other bushes, etc. After I get the scribbling done I take my exacto blade and start defining leaf clumps. If I'm using color I might use a dark color here and then rescratch and continue defining the clumps. Use a lighter color, define more, etc. until you get the look you like. I know, my example is rough and not finished but I did it quickly just to show the concept. You can tighten up the scribbles and put in individual leaves if that's the look you want . I would take more time for a finished bush.

BUSH WITH MORE LIMBS LESS LEAVES
For some of the underbrush that you might find in Africa, along a river or out in the U.S west, the shape of the limbs might be different. The leaves too, but I use my bushes for filler a lot. Not always part of the main focus. I used a curved blade x-acto to do the leaves, it works pretty good for this.

SAGEBRUSH
I used an x-acto to do the sprouts and my diamond ball to fill in the thicker areas. Not much to say here except that you can and should layer all these examples especially if using color. It's like fur in that it really fills them out and makes them more 3D.

I hope this helps and is what you what you had in mind. If not I'd be happy to try to go into more detail on any particular bush. My trees are made in a very similar way.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2009, 07:54 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

No, that's absolutely perfect Harold. Thanks because I couldn't do what you just whipped up.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2009, 10:08 PM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

I had to rush so I could go do some pluming for my daughter. I intended to post the board with the bushes at a normal size but forgot. I added a little color also.
This kind of shows how they look on a 5x7 board.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2009, 12:23 AM
Lord of the Arts
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Hails from United States

Harold, thanks for posting the bushes. That was a great idea of Patrick's to have you do these, I know that I will refer to your examples often. As for the brushes, I like you custom made ones and I really like your sagebrush.

Mark