Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Hudson River School techniques – where do I learn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    hoosierartist

I am interested in learning the techniques and methods used by the “The Hudson River School” painters such as Thomas Cole, Frederic Church Albert Bierstadt, Martin Head and others. I assume they all did not used the same methods or techniques and the Hudson river school evolved through many year.
        I would appreciate it if any one can lend any advice or direction on how I can learn some of the techniques and methods they used.
        I live in Indianapolis and have tried to find someone that might teach workshops etc but have not found anyone.
        Does any one know if there are any good books or instructional DVD’s would give me a good foundation
        Who in the US would teach this in seminars, class instruction of a week or so etc

Hoosierartist

Old Radagast

IMHO, part of the power of the Hudson River School of paintings may come from the combination of the painting style and the size of some of works (I am think about Bierstadt in particular.) Seeing such LARGE and powerful scenes adds to the drama.

Good luck in your search for a class, etc.

Matthew

Still much to paint and much to learn!
            My blog: https://autumnglade.blogspot.com/

Donald_Smith

Find a painting that you like and copy it. If your copy stinks, try again and again until you’re happy with it. Then paint a different one. You can learn by copying the Master’s paintings. You can also just copy a small section. Take a 6×8″ canvas, a view finder, and frame say the sunrise, then paint just that part of the scene. The hard part is figuring out how to go out and create your own paintings with the same panache, but with perserverance, it is possible.

Don

"We are never really happy until we try to brighten the lives of others." Helen Keller
                A Painter's Quest

johnok

I love the Hudson River School painters and I have been working for several years to learn some of their techniques too.

I have been documenting my progress with each new painting and I put together some tutorials that might help you. You can see them at my website through the gallery section. Just click on the ‘Painting Details’ buttons next to each painting.

http://www.okeefe-arts.com/index_gallery_oil_1-9.shtml
                    http://www.okeefe-arts.com/index_gallery_oil_10-19.shtml
                    http://www.okeefe-arts.com/index_gallery_oil_20-29.shtml

I think the paintings and tutorials get better with each new one I create. I’m still working on some of the tutirial text so they may appear somewhat incomplete. But the progress pictures are still worth a thousand words. One day I hope to produce good video tutorials.

Hope this helps.

John

fechurch

James C. Groves’s website has the most information on the Hudson River School artists’ techniques that I’ve ever seen. There’s a lot of other information too. Check under copal and sandarac.

fechurch

James C. Groves’s website has the most information on the Hudson River School artists’ techniques that I’ve ever seen. There’s a lot of other information too. Check under copal and sandarac.

Studio-1-F

“James C. Groves”? —> http://www.jamescgroves.com/

Can this be the one you’re talking about?

Jan

zeegallerie

I was able to view Bierstadt’s painting at the Gilcrease in Tulsa Ok many years ago and spent many hours just sitting in front of it, everytime I learned something new. As stated above try copiying one and keep copying until your statisfied, you will come away with your own tecnique
                                    Fred

UrszulA

http://www.hudsonriverlandscape.com/%5B/URL%5D
                                        The Hudson River Fellowship, run by Jacob Collins and others, has summer month long fellowship progamme.

northeaster

I am in the Hudson Valley of New York State and I paint in the manner of the Hudson River School. I will be teaching 3 workshops in the area this summer and fall.

northeaster

2011 Workshop dates will be June 3-5, July 8-10 and October 7-9 (a fall color workshop–a fantastic time of year in this valley.)
                                                Some workshop time will be en plein air at Hudson Valley beauty spots, including some of views painted by Frederick E. Church and Thomas Cole.

northeaster
                                                    krazy4poodles

Check out the Woodstock School of Art (Woodstock NY) website. Look for workshops by Paul Abrams. He teaches the poetic landscape. Excellent. Uses the Hudson River School palette.

Aires

Nathaniel Provis also does beautiful work and has classes. You might check out his on line classes to see if they would be helpful to you. He is a well known New Zealand artist and accomplished musician. Look at some of his work on line, he is an advocate of the Hudson River School of painting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
                                                          • The topic ‘Hudson River School techniques – where do I learn’ is closed to new replies.