Home Forums Explore Media Scratchboard Art A study on Eyes and Noses

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Crias

These study threads are designed to have members show close up crops of a small areas of a work on a specific topic to show in detail how you work. They are designed to help members learn a variety of ways that you can achieve effects on a topic. Please post images that show good detail of your scratch work. Please tell us a little bit of how you achieved the affects in your image and what tools you used. Also when applicable please indicate the species of animal depicted. It may alse be useful to indicate the size of the original piece and roughly the size of the croped area.

Share in this thread close ups on EYES and NOSES

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Cathy Sheeter

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!

Here is a piece to show examples of eyes and nose. This is on a black Ampersand board and I used the scratchboard tool with both the pointed and broad nibs as well as tan X-Acto knife with a #11 blade.

1) Eyes and Nose.

2) The Eyes. This close up and isolated the eye looks strange, but when it is in the whole picture it works and even helps in convincing that the lighting is harsh.

3) The Nose. I used the broad nib for the highlight on the nose.

Diana

http://www.dianalee.com

[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL] I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

PatrickHedges

Gorgeous work Diana :)

Here are some eyes and noses from the cheetah and lion worlds to show the different techniques I use. In some cases, I stipple (dots), in others I use lines and sometimes I use a random technique (technically known as my ‘higgledy piggledy’ technique :lol: )

Lion coloured with watercolours

Original size

Massive closeup of the eye only

Cheetah 8″ x 10″

Eye

Nose

Another cheetah 8″ x 10″

The eyes

And finally another cheetah 8″ x 10″

Eye

Nose

Bringer

Hi,

This thread is really awsome !
                Should be kept as a sticky one.

Kind regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.

pfalvo

Thanks Crias,
                    for the great tutorial, this really helps when starting a new drawing as to what line style to use.

Here is another example of eyes using a tabby cat.

Here are the stages of creating this eye.

Diana

http://www.dianalee.com

[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL] I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Tapecat

AWESOME Stuff!

Here ya Go Diana, I animated it for you…:) :wave:

I had to Make the last frame fit as you sized it differently. It looks good even though it’s more pixelated.

You can have a gander at some of my other stuff if you care to:
                        http://www.bleedingfingerstudio.com/
                        or http://www.myspace.com/tapecat

Crias

I won’t have time to post all of mine right now, as I have to go to work :(

Here is a close up on the eyes of a baby gorilla. The actual piece is only 5″x5.5″ so this is MUCH magnified. The eyes were scratched with an exacto, and then the shadowed eye was reinked with diluted black ink.

Crias

The golden eagle’s eye was the most complex eye I have done to date. done with #11 exacto.

And an eagle’s beak is his nose…. right :) The dark lines that go over the beak were put back in after the rest with a fine tipped black marker.

Crias

The eyes were the focus for this wolf piece and I chose to lighten them significantly from the ref photo to make them more dramatic.

About life size…

And much magnified…

PatrickHedges

Fabulous!! Oh, and that trick of putting the black back in with a marker is a good one. I often do that as it saves a lot of time.

Tapecat

My favorite work on eyes so far

Juno & Mojo 8″ x 10″

Eye & Nose close ups:

Tapecat

Arrrrrgh!

This naming thing is BUGGIN’ me to insanity!!!!:mad:

Here’s the right pic for that post GRRRRRRRRR!

Crias

same image that Patrick used for one of his cheetah images. The darker eye was darkened with diluted black ink.

Garbonzo

Wow, these are all so nice. Eyes and noses are some of my biggest weaknesses. Thanks everyone.

[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]HAROLD FARLEY MSA
                                                        www.haroldfarley.weebly.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.