WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Grenada West Indies

Hails from Grenada
Re: Symbols Practice

i like the clouds- can you tell me what you are painting on Ann ?
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2007, 07:50 PM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Thanks Dewi, Maureen & Zooms.

Zooms, this was practice on a Fredrix canvas board which is fine for practice pieces and I've also done this on stretched canvas.

Maureen, for the study posted I used Ultramarine Blue, Alizarin Crimson, Pyrrole Orange and gesso in the sky. I painted, using "X" strokes, the orange mixed with gesso on the bottom, then painted the ultramarine blue and alizarin crimson straight into fresh. wet gesso using a Hake brush. Then as the two began to meet I very lightly, laying the wiped Hake brush almost flat blended back and forth into the two areas of color.

The fir trees are Hookers Green, Burnt Sienna, and Ultramarine Violet and sometimes a bit of Ultramarine Blue. The bare tree is a mix of ultramarine blue and burnt sienna or burnt umber. The grass is a mix of the same colors adding cad. yellow medium or light (can't remember which ).

I'm glad you mentioned the rigger because what I used is a #4 sable rigger. The sable will hold more fluid color than a synthetic as I understand it. I have yet to get the smaller limbs to look fine and delicate.

Dewi, hope you get some free time soon whether to do symbols or to just paint!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2007, 08:38 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ottawa, Canada

Hails from Canada

Hey, I had wanted to practice these landscape tidbits myself, how timely!! I'll join in- so clouds are the first one? I'll do some clouds tomorrow and post. Glad to have the thread, it's always more fun to do these things in a group!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2007, 09:15 PM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Cool! Glad you are joining in, Polygon. I started another practice piece of a foliage tree. Yuk, it turned out terrible as you will see but decided to post the these too as it is all learning. I tried doing a plain sky using ultramarine blue/gesso at the top then cobalt turquoise/gesso on the rest. The greens are cobalt turquoise, hookers green, Brilliant Green, Cad. yellow medium. Then added some ultramarine blue, purple and burnt sienna. Oh in one spot I added Pyrrole red and mixed it in with the purple.

Then went in and worked more on the sky, added more trees and a bit of road. It looks like a story book painting and not like a real place. More practice looking at a real tree is needed, looking at mass tones and shapes.

Cheers,

Last edited by idcrisis55 : 03-12-2007 at 10:03 PM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Enthusiast
British Columbia - Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Ann, both practice pieces look great. Thanks for sharing.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2007, 04:39 AM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Thanks Brian! The trees aren't looking like I would like but maybe with time and lots of practice.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

I would like to see this as a classwork thread. I think it would be fun and helpful. I can always use the help. Jan
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2007, 11:44 AM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Hi Jan, I hope you join in too. No painting yet today but hopefully I will later.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Ottawa, Canada

Hails from Canada

Well Ann, I was in awe of your clouds yesteday and today after my experiments I am in TOTAL awe. Also, your tree came out great! I see what you mean about a storybook feel but it's a fine tree, that means you're almost there.

So, I hope I don't scare anyone with my clouds. I went to the RIL and copied lots of images, thinking I'd start with cumulus, move to cirrus, dab on an overcast, a storm, a sunrise, a sunset....

Oh, well, I got a little stuck on cumulus as you can see. I used to be reasonably good at cumulus clouds in watercolour, and figured it wouldn't take long to figure it out in acrylics...

Oh my god, these first four are hideous. These are on canvas textured paper, which I've decided I don't like:

1) Oops, I guess I should have wet that paper a bit. And no, those rescue dabs on the fringes did not exactly work...

2) OK, wetting helps with the shadows... but duh, maybe it would help on the cloud edges too? OK, leaving a big white blob in the sky for the cloud is not working...

3) A bit of an improvement, except now I know sponging isn't the fix (lower right hand corner cloud, can hardly see it). I kind of like the upper right hand cloud, although I immediately abandon that technique...

4) better, better... if you only look at the lower right hand cloud! And somehow on this one I forgot how to lay a graded wash. Oh, I am glad for this practice because I really do suck...

I'll post the ones that kinda worked in the next post, I think the attachment limit is four?
Attached Images

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Ottawa, Canada

Hails from Canada

OK, so I did finally have some success! Lots of room for polishing but considering where I started out today I did fine (pats self on back... however hair torn out in frustration of earlier attempts is still lying on floor...)

I'm back on my dollar store canvas board, works sooooooo much better! The earlier ones would not have been much better on this board but it really is much easier to work on.

5) these are a little too "canned", but I'll take 'em! Coming along.

6) These need to be whiter, and the shadows go up a bit too far (would work though if the clouds were whiter, right now they're too thin for this dark a shadow), but I like the looseness of these.

So, for these I laid the (slightly) graded wash, let it dry, then laid down water and painted into it. 2 layers for clouds and 2 layers for shadows.

Critique and tips are very welcome! I know I've got a long way to go...
Attached Images

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2007, 05:39 PM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Hi Polygon, great to see your practice work. I liked especially #'s 3 and 5 because there are less hard edges and you dry brushed more into the background. Clouds are fluff, soft looking with actually very few hard edges and often are layered to create a cloud composition. The nice thing is one can go back and very lightly add lights to the top edges to give even more dimension to the clouds.

If you want, we can pick a cloud photo and we can all practice that one to see how the clouds are formed against the backdrop of the sky. What do you think? Would you like to do that? If so, post a photo here in this thread and I will work alongside you on it as we both learn. I will try to do it in steps and take photos along the way so you can see.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Ottawa, Canada

Hails from Canada

I would love that, Ann! I just popped over to the RIL, difficult to choose one that's difficult enough without being too cluttered and difficult- would this one be appropriate? It's got overlap, and a mix of large and small, with some sky showing too.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2007, 06:38 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Peoples - don't forget to rate the thread if you find it useful

Ann - I'll edit the title to include 'Classroom thread' if that's OK with you.
I can always re-edit if you're not happy

Glad you're doing this Poly - you really are a hoot with your self-crits too Nice!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2007, 06:45 PM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Re: Classroom Thread - Symbols Practice

Thanks Maureen, that would be great! Just a reminder that anyone that wants to join in, feel free to post your studies and comments here! The more the merrier and the more we learn from you too!

Polygon, that photo will work fine. Now one thing as artist that we can do is leave out or add to. So If you find all the clouds overwhelming, leave some of them out. Pick one that you would love to learn the shape, values, colors, blends, and work toward that.

Another thing one might want to do is take a photo of each step in your painting process. That will help one to see what worked, and maybe what didn't.

Most of all I hope we each have fun and get that thrill when finally, something clicks into place.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2007, 01:20 AM
San Jose, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Classroom Thread - Symbols Practice

Hi All,

I haven't post for a while, kind of busy preparing for my soon to be newborn son. Anyway, I have a half painted landscape which have clouds and trees I pop in once a while to see what you guys and gals are up to. At least I'm not a newbie anymore, I got my one shiny star .