WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2005, 07:52 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
UK

Hails from Scotland
Design help please

Hi,
first time posting on this forum....iv'e been trying a couple of designs with a view to painting with acrylics...on a 36''x36'' canvas..i want a modern feel and i'm a bit lost...i want to section the surface as you can see but don't know if it would be pleasing to the viewer the way i have it...the colours are not nessessary the ones i'll be using...and i haven't made up my mind yet if it will be realistic or not either....(don't want much do i)..lol....anyway thanks for looking.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2005, 05:00 AM
Immortalized
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Re: Design help please

In the left image, there are two things to look and it creates a flip/flop effect - the two different horizons is sort of confusing.
The right image is better - here I think it would be better if one of the two smaller squares had a different width. Remember the rule - "make no two intervals the same". As a suggestion I would try to make the light blue 3/5 of its current width (as an example - then the line from the frame's left side to the left flower would not be split in the middle).

I hope that helps.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2005, 08:25 AM
UK

Hails from Scotland

Thankyou Henrik..........i see what you mean....about the spacing.....i'll try that out later.....this is another....version...can you tell me where i'm going wrong here please?
Attached Images

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Immortalized
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

I think you can easily pick out "intervals that are similar" - try to make no two intervals the same.

In this composition you also have things "kissing" - make crossovers more clear unless you are deliberately running one shape into another.
You have created a small cutout that attracts attention - the left flower has a small piece of the blue background cut out.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2005, 05:34 PM
UK

Hails from Scotland

Thankyou.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
USA

Hails from United States

I'd be inclined to put two of the flowers closer together than the third one. Perhaps that's what henrik is saying. Having them all lined up in a straight diagonal, with the same distance between, gives it a little bit of a regimented feel, which is in contrast to the beautiful floral images. Of course you could always decide that that's the idea you want to express ... that dichotomy.

I LOVE your flowers!!! They're totally luscious! Once you settle on a composition, I look forward to seeing the finished piece!

By the way, I admire your blocking out several compositions before you paint. I am often guilty of going straight to canvas or paper before quite figuring out what I'm doing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

www.gryffin-designs.com
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Immortalized
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Attached is an illustration
Attached Images

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2005, 12:14 PM
UK

Hails from Scotland

Thankyou for commenting Karen......i'm trying to learn to paint and learn composition....i have done a ''36x36'' once before for my daughter and as it was quite a big job for me (and she likes it) i was wanting to put more thought into the next biggy.
Henric.........thanks so much for the idea...it's amazing that a little change can make all the difference i think i'll go with that...and plunge right in...i don't think you or Karen would aprove of the one i did before as the flowers were all standing to attention....lol.