WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2019, 09:49 AM
Austria, Graz

Hails from Austria
How it work, see around behind person effect on Da Vinci?

I would like to find ways to make the sfumato much better.

Do you know what pigment and layers I need to have flying shadow on the skin and can see around behind the face effect from Da Vinci?
Flying shadow in skin will work with very low white over dark I heared.
But the effect that allowed to see right or left behind the person is very strange.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2019, 03:07 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: How it work, see around behind person effect on Da Vinci?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal3
I would like to find ways to make the sfumato much better.

Do you know what pigment and layers I need to have flying shadow on the skin and can see around behind the face effect from Da Vinci?
Flying shadow in skin will work with very low white over dark I heared.
But the effect that allowed to see right or left behind the person is very strange.

I have studied DaVinci's methods a bit, and while his sfumato passages are quite well known, I do not know of any effect that he was believed to have created that would allow the viewer to see behind the subject. That would be a total mystery to me.

His sfumato effects can be achieved by stippling the area in question, or by very careful blending with small, soft brushes.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2019, 03:41 PM
Lord of the Arts
Monterey Bay area, California

Da Vinci used a method that is like "shallow depth of field" of a modern camera lens.

If you go to a professional photographer, for a head-and-shoulders portrait, you will sit approximately 2 to 3 meters from the camera. The lens will be approximately 100mm equivalent. The depth of field will be adjusted, so that your cheeks are in focus. But the tip of your nose may be slightly out of focus. Your ears, and the outline of your hair, will be slightly out of focus.

This is what Leonardo did, in paint.

So: The important areas of the face are painted with high precision. Other areas are painted with less precision. That is, the other areas are not sharp. You do not need to use paint layers. It is not a matter of colors. Instead, you use not-sharp brush strokes.

Renoir, and some other Impressionists, also did this. The faces of important people would be carefully painted. But their clothing, the background, and unimportant people would be "impressionist."
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2019, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

This is a step by step re-creation of what researchers think might be Davinci's methods for the Mona Lisa:

https://journals.openedition.org/cer...828#tocfrom2n2

Perhaps you have read this already, but just in case, I'll share it again. Perhaps there's something in the steps that will prove inspiring for you... cheers!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2019, 10:10 PM
Lord of the Arts
Monterey Bay area, California

Clarification: My earlier comment was a guess, as to what "see right or left behind the person" might mean. I was not discussing sfumato.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2019, 05:15 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinguino
Da Vinci used a method that is like "shallow depth of field" of a modern camera lens.

If you go to a professional photographer, for a head-and-shoulders portrait, you will sit approximately 2 to 3 meters from the camera. The lens will be approximately 100mm equivalent. The depth of field will be adjusted, so that your cheeks are in focus. But the tip of your nose may be slightly out of focus. Your ears, and the outline of your hair, will be slightly out of focus.

This is what Leonardo did, in paint.

So: The important areas of the face are painted with high precision. Other areas are painted with less precision. That is, the other areas are not sharp. You do not need to use paint layers. It is not a matter of colors. Instead, you use not-sharp brush strokes.

Renoir, and some other Impressionists, also did this. The faces of important people would be carefully painted. But their clothing, the background, and unimportant people would be "impressionist."

In other words..he exagerated the focus limitations of our own optical devices (eyes) so that we feel we are looking at something with much more depth (since we would in real life start to see these limitations only on subjects with more depth than a couple of cm).

It is always so interesting how great art is not about doing things"Right"as so many beleive when they start in art.. it is about doing select things wrong in a specific way to influence the viewer.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 05:43 AM
Austria, Graz

Hails from Austria

Hi,

It can be special pigments or oil used for some effects. Nobody know this.
Or a oil that do not dry to reflect more lights can be a way. When I used a very thin linseed oil layer on the background and the oil is not dry than (reflect) it can be happens. But when it drys, then removed it.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2019, 06:19 AM
Austria, Graz

Hails from Austria

I am looking for a mona lisa video, that is the perspective from left to right or other, to see this effects. All videos that I am found is in front of and back.
Found anybody a good video or documentations about this?