Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Gesso brush that doesn’t leave trails?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    terrygar

I need to buy a gesso application brush that will be clean for large panels and canvas.
        I seem to use ones that leave hairs and dust. How much is a good one, I saw one today at Pearl Art and it was $22.00 for 1.5″ too much.
        Help:confused:

blkros

Use a 3 or 4 inch wide disposable foam brush, that you can buy at a hardware store. About $1.00. Works great–I’ve used them for years. You can wash them up, and use them for many paintings.

Keith P.
            --------------------
            Today a lot of painters, and a lot of abstract painters, don't draw at all. They don't even know how to draw. I've always thought that one of the great elements of great art is drawing. From the Renaissance to Matisse and Picasso, and even the Impressionists — every one of the greater painters could draw.
            ---Norman Bluhm
            ------------------------
            You want some Art? Come and get it

DanielO

I assume you mean acrylic gesso. I use a roller — it’s about 5 inches wide and made for painting trim.

paintfool

One of the best things you can do for this is to wet your brush with water before the gesso! It works beautifully! No, I wouldn’t pay $22.00 for a gesso brush either!
                    Cheryl

terrygar

Thanks guys, I’ll try out a foam and roller now and see how it works. I’m painting on hard board for awhile and its smooth enough for either system.
                        Terry:)

WSPCEO1

Not to go a different direction but u may wish to sand down the canvas a bit after you gesso. That would rid the support of any lumps and bumps. Then just take a damp cloth and get rid of the dust rather then another coat to avoid build-up. As for a brush I use a 2 inch brush from Sears. works great and costs 2 bucks.

If you think gesso is hard try using the oil primer.

Bill

I took the road less traveled and it has made all the difference. I then took another and another. Now I know why the Chinese curse reads "May you live in interesting times"
                            Just call me Bill.
                            http://www.billpayne.net

blkros

[i]Originally posted by WSPCEO1 [/i]
                                [B]

If you think gesso is hard try using the oil primer.

Bill [/B]

Been there, done that. Not fun.

Keith P.
                                --------------------
                                Today a lot of painters, and a lot of abstract painters, don't draw at all. They don't even know how to draw. I've always thought that one of the great elements of great art is drawing. From the Renaissance to Matisse and Picasso, and even the Impressionists — every one of the greater painters could draw.
                                ---Norman Bluhm
                                ------------------------
                                You want some Art? Come and get it

I know you already have a few answers but I’ll add my 2 cents. I use a regular house hold sponge to apply gesso. I just keep it in the container with the gesso. This has always worked well for me and you don’t get any streaks.

-Jenn

nam26b

Well, just today I went to the local art store and bought a set of 3 sizes of gesso brushes and a tub of gesso. The brushes only cost $3, and seem pretty good quality. They’re soft enough that the coat is pretty smooth and even.

Nathan

junior

If you work large or gesso large boards and cut them later. You might want to consider a spray gun (or a cheap modelling airbrush if you own a compressor) ; it’s clean , quick and gives you an even coat.

Veni, vidi, nates calce concidi.

Bluefly

When I worked at a sign shop, we used thin foam rollers and covered the surface with multiple thin coats of paint. (this makes it smooth) Try not to get much orange peel effect. You will use less paint and get a nice surface. If you are interested in the technique just send me a message an I will explain it in more detail.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.