Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Can gouache pansdried be opaque? Beginner confusion

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kat_skinner

Hi everyone,
        I’m mostly just learning about gouache now, having previously used watercolour. I’m trying to understand just how the opaqueness works…

I bought myself a little kit of Holbein which I made into pans (like I would with my watercolour palette) for travel. I have since learned that artists like James Gurney uses tube gouache for the opaque effects, which was my aim.

I’m happy to buy new tubes. But I prefer to use pans (pre-made or self-made). Is there a brand that will give me quite opaque colours for layering from pans/previously dried paint? From what I have been reading, they can’t be made that opaque once dried?

I’m still trying to read through all the different threads – there is a lot of info to take in and any guidance is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Try Caran d’Ache pan gouache, they are very good at re-wetting. That said, overpainting gouache is always a bit tricky, be very gentle not to disturb the underlayer.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

kat_skinner

Try Caran d’Ache pan gouache, they are very good at re-wetting. That said, overpainting gouache is always a bit tricky, be very gentle not to disturb the underlayer.

Doug

Thanks for replying Doug; I really appreciate you taking the time out to help a beginner.
            I’ve done a fair bit of watercolour painting now, so hopefully I can get used to layering with gouache pretty fast.
            Would you say that the Caran D’Ache lets you paint light layers on top of dark?

Candidly, CD pan sets are very convenient and easy to work with but gouache is better with limited overpainting, unlike watercolours, it easily disturbed by a damp brush. Many artists use watercolours as a base the paint over with gouache where necessary. I carry a separate tube of Permanent white for painting whites over darks.

Check out the Gouache Corner sticky at the top of the Watercolor Studio.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

I have been using gouache for a little bit now and have tried three different types. Schmincke’s Designer and Horadam lines and Arteza’s 24 Set. All three types I use mostly dried from pans and while yes, using them fresh from the tube means you will have an easier time getting a good consistency for opacity, I absolutely get my paints (All three) to be opaque from my pans.

Mostly, Gouache should be watered down a little from the tube anyway to the consistency of cream and good gouache will still be opaque and vibrant then. When I use my dried gouache pans, I will spray them with water a few minutes before starting to paint (essentially, I pull out my paint box, spray liberally, then set up all the other supplies) and by the time I am really ready to paint, the pans have softened to a creamy consistency very similar to that of the tubes.

I use full pans on my main gouache set, giving me a nice, large surface area for my paint to soften. If I know I will need a larger amount of paint, I’ll drop water into the pans with either my brush or a pipette.

The ony time I will really pull out my tubes is if I need large areas of opaque colour (which I rarely do, since I paint comparatively small). That has nothing to do with the fact that I can’t get opacity from dried pans and everything with the fact that it’s just more convenient to squeeze out already ‘wet’ paint.

I think the whole discussion of gouache not being opaque when used from dried blobs comes from the fact that most people compare it to watercolour, where we can just dip a damp brush into the pan and have enough paint there to just start without much issue. Gouache just needs more time and water to reactivate. I guess that makes the time saving factor of using pans over tubes that we have in watercolour obsolete with gouache, but for me, my pans are still much more convenient than the tubes.

laika

When I use my dried gouache pans, I will spray them with water a few minutes before starting to paint (essentially, I pull out my paint box, spray liberally, then set up all the other supplies) and by the time I am really ready to paint, the pans have softened to a creamy consistency very similar to that of the tubes.

I’m gonna try that next time I use my pan set of “Opaque Watercolors.” Thanks!

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
                - Otto Rank

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.