WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#541   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2015, 06:02 PM

Re: PANPASTEL SHOW AND TELL--instructions and inspiration

Made it! A typical shot down The Narrows at Mt Zion NP. Fantastic Place.
This is done 100% in my container pastels. One thing I like about my pastels is that if you have some left over after packing your container the loose pastel easily wets and you can use it with a brush. None of that here as I haven't had time to do much creative work with all my creative color- making. I think that's about to change.
  #542   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2015, 08:47 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchid_cezanne
I guess it didn't. The picture is bigger than 800x800 and I tried the uploader here so I guess I'll resize it myself.

Wow! I love this! It's beautiful. Great perspective and depth, good composition and the sense of lght in the fall foliage in distance is gorgeous. Your homemade Pans worked great!

Cool that you can use water to turn the excess into paint. That might work with Pans that have been broken up too, glad I didn't throw them out. I save everything. Replaced pans that got broken (not many but I lost one to an accident and another to the move) and this is very cool.

Now you have me wondering if I can do Pans and then give it an alcohol wash...

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #543   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2015, 06:47 PM

Thanks, Robert. I appreciate the comments.
I haven't tested the solubilities of pan pastels. Mine are basically soft pastels with talc held together with a small dose of methyl cellulose. I'm sure that's what makes them water-soluble. I dabbled a bit with some of the left-overs on a piece of wet wc paper just to see how they work hand here's the result.
They work just like watercolors, but when they're dry you can blend them with your fingers like soft pastels. Neat.
You've got me thinking about other ways to use pan pastels. Hum??
  #544   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Paradise CA

Hails from United States

Can someone here help me?Brand new to art. Having a really tough time using pans for clouds over paper toned with dark blue pan. The blue mixes with the white! and I'd love to put tints in the clouds, but how? That pesky blue mixes with the white clouds.
Any advice much appreciated.
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation.
  #545   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2015, 10:30 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Oh that's fun! Lovely effect you got with water and interesting you could blend after they dry. Coolness!

Sounds like you're using a very dark blue in the sky, which doesn't always work. I answered this question on the other thread but at this point with it already toned, an eraser s your best option. I like using kneaded erasers to lift Pan Pastel, they can even get back to pure paper color sometimes if I'm patient. Press it down and peel off, stretch it, fold it and repeat. At the very end of lifting out the cloud area you can rub a bit to remove the last, but rubbing early may scrub the color deeper into the paper.

There, managed to add to the previous answer. Press and peel is also how to lift color with kneaded erasers on colored pencils painting, which is a Lot Harder than pan pastels. Those come up completely most times.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #546   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2015, 12:25 AM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

lovingmylife - I agree with Robert A kneaded eraser is an essential for working with Pans....so easy to remove previous pastel. But not if you've already used Fixative on it first, as you don't say?

Moderator; Animal & Wildlife Forum and Florals & Botanical Forum

Last edited by Vivien Maloney : 05-11-2015 at 12:40 AM.
  #547   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2015, 12:36 AM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

This is a PanPastel I painted for the Floral Forum's April Plant Parade - the topic for the month was dahlias.

As PanPastels are semi-transparent, I've been experimenting with using them in a technique similar to watercolor technique i.e. working from light to dark.
I posted a Thread with WIP photos as I painted this Dahlia.
Here's the link to the thread (there's a bit of a watercolor WIP in there too)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1378223

Moderator; Animal & Wildlife Forum and Florals & Botanical Forum
  #548   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2015, 09:36 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Vivien, that is incredible! I love the idea, yeah, they can work well like watercolor and if I lay in all the darks first glazing over with lighter color isn't hard at all. You got so much detail in this and lovely clean edges, not razor-hard but sort of pencil-hard, just clean enough to give the idea of thin delicate flower petals seen close. Love the vignette softness around the edges too. This would be so incredible on a wall. What size is it?

#549   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2015, 09:43 AM
New York City

Hails from United States

Viv- that is just amazing and superb!!!
They are semi-transparent...hmmm I might have to try your light to dark idea. I always go the other way.

#550   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2015, 12:30 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Right, light to dark... I was thinking dark to light. I've done both with watercolor but light to dark allows more spontaneity, I think. This is going to be fun! A lot of times with Pans, I go area by area rather than either.