WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2006, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Re: How I paint in a cafe by Andrew Judd

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew judd

Okay ... sorry for the small novel ...........

You will I am sure get no complaints It is these small insights from Artists like yourself, John, Larry and many others that are so valuable.

In appreciation
Mike Finn

Watch Out! there's some nudity about...
http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~mikefinn
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2006, 07:20 AM
Lord of the Arts
Northern Cal

Hails from United States

this is a real treat, thank-you for sharing the fun with us! i feel a definite flavor in the cafe, inviting and warm. will definitely be watching this demo develop.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2006, 12:04 PM
A Local Legend
Gainesville, MO

Hails from United States

What FUN this is! Thanks for bringing us along as you paint in the cafe! I've done a great deal of drawing in coffeeshops and restaurants, but it never even occurred to me to actually set up and paint!

How funny about the bomb question. When hubby and I were on vacation a couple of years ago, he was setting up his binaural microphones on the balcony of our hotel room so he could record the sounds of the ocean through the night. The lady on the next balcony asked if it was a bomb. Like someone WITH a bomb would actually SAY so!

Helen
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2006, 11:06 PM
Massachusetts

Quote:
You will I am sure get no complaints.

I'll second that. Andrew, your writing and photos are funny and informative. Cafe life looks very appealing. Thank you for putting the time in to share it and your painting process. Looking forward to the next installment.

Quote:
I also remember reading somewhere Sargent saying you should use a brush that feels just a little too big for the job at hand and I must agree. I think this forces simplification of shapes and values without a whole lot of blending.

I sort of reprimand myself for doing this so it's nice to elevate it to a good practice. Thanks!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Enthusiast
u.s.a.

Hails from United States

No complaints, about your musing. In fact you've drawn us in further with your words. And now, your cafe must live up visualy to such romantic verbal.
Which I am confident, you will.
JS
Pochade Blog Pochade Box Paintings
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2006, 01:36 AM
A Local Legend
Utah!

Hails from United States

Andrew--I agree, I love reading your thoughts!

I just had to pop in to tell you that you've inspired me.

I've thought about getting together a really simple setup to paint on location, but always put it off. I was excercizing this afternoon, trying not to *think* about the fact that I was excercizing and I was musing on this great post of yours.

Suddenly I couldn't wait to make a little setup of my own! I did wait til after I finished excercizing, however.

I won't hijack your thread here, but I'm about to take some photos and I'll write up a new thread about it...I just wanted you to know I was inspired. Thanks!

~!Carey
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2006, 06:06 AM
I am currently working in Toronto Canada and Vienna Austria.

Hails from Canada

You are probably starting to wonder.. When is this guy going to paint?
here we go.
My approach in this painting is wet in wet oil. I start paintings many different ways and maybe that is a new thread another time but I find this particular approach quick (usually about an hour to an hour and a half) and it also captures the atmosphere quickly.

I start by measuring with my brush held arms length in front of me ... and make sure my major shapes will fit on my little panel.

The way I measure is one to one ...and really this way of measuring deserves a whole thread on its own... in the future.

( the panel in this case is masonite with canvass glued to it a commercial product available at most good art stores)

I mix a warm colour (yellow ochre and transparent oxide red with a touch of white) that looks similar to the largest area in the painting and lay in it in a mass leaving the canvass white in the window are where cool tones will prevail. This stage is important because it sets the overall colour and mid values needed to paint in to later on.

The next step is to quickly place with a clean brush the cool tones in the window area. Cobalt blue and titanium white... a touch of ultr blue. The paint at this stage is heavier than a wash!! I don't like to have turps running all over the place unless there is some special reason for it ( like paintings of water or more transparent objects)

The paint should be kept to a minimum of mixing to keep it fresh and I like to mix my colour on the palette before it makes it to canvass.

I constantly clean my brush between applications and even then still end up with some old colour entering the mixes.

As you apply subsequent layers of paint over top of this background colour the under paint comes through a little and creates a natural harmony. ( Andrew Loomis discusses this technique in his Creative Illustration book)

The next stage is softening the edges and getting rid of white patches. This looks like mush at this stage but then the fun is just about to start!

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2006, 06:30 AM

Hails from Canada

Now I measure very carefully and start to place the focal points and details in the most important areas. The focal point needs careful drawing and colour consideration. Look at values. SQUINT .. to see simple value shapes and place them carefully.

By this time the caffeine from the coffe has kicked in and my hand is shakier than it should be. The temptation to paint quickly must be fought back because... this is so much fun!

My old boss Bill Biddle used to say... "Andy... SLOW DOWN .... AND SPEED UP!!" It took me years to understand this.
If I work carefully and accurately I don't need to re-paint areas and make corrections. Every shape placed correctly shows you where the next one belongs.

Sometimes it even works!!
I know Richard Schmid is a big supporter of this working method. His book ..Alla Prima ... is worth every nickel!

I am building the focal points more here .
Incidentally the focal point is your choice always! I find it is the place my eye is drawn to naturally in a scene and usually (not always) contains the sharpest edges.. most value contrasts and intense chroma. I also find the shapes in the focal point area tend to be more interesting or have some variation that sets it apart in some way. A change in visual rhythm perhaps.

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2006, 06:58 AM

Hails from Canada

I am now painting outwards away from the main focal point.. finding other ares that need careful attention to drawing... the chair and table... the simple masses around the window and so on.

I normally am ready for another coffee at this stage and sit back for a moment to look at progress. I ask some simple questions.

1. Is the composition what I want?
2. Are the values right?
3. Is the drawing accurate?
4. How much further do I need to go to capture the essence of the scene?

When I paint.. I sometime imagine I'm looking through a camera lens that is slowly being pulled out of focus. The focal point is clear and as I paint away from it I have softer edges and larger shapes and leave the focal point as a detailed area.

After all that is the way we see.. so why not paint this way too? This wet in wet approach really helps to get a beginner artist away from painting up to edges. Look at Rembrandts work and all the lessons are there!

I didn't start with a pencil drawing.! I just kept measuring carefully and placing and correcting as I moved along.
Learning to draw with the brush is a challenge initially but it is a great way to get away from those pesky hard edges.

Now I move quickly... the light in the window is changing.. the cafe is getting busy and the people I'm painting are leaving.

I place the simple shapes of objects around the focal point.... a picture frame on the wall ... the light above their heads.. the pole that holds the drapes.. and so on.

I am also frantically shooting pictures as I go and the wait staff are starting to get concerned... they haven't seen me taking photos before. The other customers are starting to hide behind the coat racks and there is a tension in the air... I'm wondering if someone has called the police as a siren stops close by..
I have visions of men in white coats dragging me out kicking and screaming while I try to explain I'm a harmless painter... I'm doing this for wet canvas....

Just kidding... all is calm and apart from the changing light I am content.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2006, 07:24 AM

Hails from Canada

I should mention... you've probably noticed anyhow.. I am painting my darks and lights into a middle value. I find this keeps me away from placing false accents ( or my darkest darks and lightest lights ) too quickly. The only exception to this here is at the focal point where I have established close to the full range of values .. which gives me a way of comparing every other value in relation to them.

I use a little Walnut oil when I am painting lighter colours over darker ones in the traditional method of "fat over lean". I sometimes need to wipe an area with a clean brush to place a dark accent in thinly. I am not overly concerned with this however as it is Alla Prima and all drying at the same speed.

Here's my palette... to this point.... messy and too full of mixes. When I use my other boxes I scrape my palette clean now and then to help prevent muddy colours. Using a peel away palette has the advantage of throwing the mess away but I don't often scrape them... I could I suppose now I think about it.

The textured area in the paint is where I collected some paint on my pallette knife to paint a sharp edge on the tube holding the drapes.

I work with a "warm and cool" of each primary. If my light source is cool.. as it is in this painting I try to keep my shadow areas warmer in relationship. Seeing this takes some practice and painting from life is the best way to practice.

I mix my.. "blacks" or very dark grays from ultr blue .. aliz crimson and transparent oxide red combinations.
I paint thicker light values and thinner darks.

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2006, 07:24 AM

Hails from Canada

Here is the finished painting.
I took the first photo in the cafe of it and then another at home under correct light.
The incandescent lighting in the cafe make the painting very yellow and warm (maybe that is nice too) but the reall colours are cooler and show the true painting as it looks.

here's the first photo...

Here is the better photo with true colours... I also added a few accents in the studio as you can see.

This show the size of the painting compared to my keys!

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2006, 08:39 AM

Hails from Canada

I have enjoyed this process and have learned a lot about organising my thoughts for a demo like this.

I also realised I can't spel
I sure appreciate the positive feedback and good comments. Other artists have shared so much with me over the years and I feel indebted to do the same with others if I can.

We are the lucky ones doing what we love to do!
Some people never know this in their entire lives.... imagine!

I am sure I must have missed a dozen points so I'm happy to take questions.

I am painting outside a little now as the weather warms so please be patient with me replying to you slowly.

Here is another tiny cafe painting done the same way as the demo.

I will be posting a whole new page of paintings of cafes and other things on my website as well (what's on the easel section) so you can see many more there.

Cheers... Andrew Judd

www.andrewjudd.com
http://andrewjudd.blogspot.com/
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2006, 08:48 AM
A Local Legend
Gainesville, MO

Hails from United States

ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!

I think this was one of the most fun WIPs I've followed. I feel like we've been sitting next to you in the cafe and looking over your shoulder. I love the scene, love your wonderfully loose style, and admire your nerve!

The painting came out great! I completely forgot how tiny it is until you showed it next to your keys. Unless you have REALLY BIG keys!

I'm going to go rate this thread with 5 stars as soon as I send this off. Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us!

Helen
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2006, 10:25 AM

Hails from Canada

Thanks Helen! I'm glad you liked my first ever WIP.
I am pooped out from typing.... I think painting is far easier!
My keys really are normal size..

I have just posted my new page of images here....
and maybe this is a good follow up where you can see many cafe paintings... and other images too.

Cheers... Andrew

http://homepage.mac.com/andrewjudd/PhotoAlbum23.html
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast
TX

Hails from United States

Thanks Andrew! Lovely work!
Dawn