WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2006, 11:33 AM
I am currently working in Toronto Canada and Vienna Austria.

Hails from Canada
How I paint in a cafe by Andrew Judd

Thanks to everyone who have encouraged me to post a demo here.
I especially want to thank John Cox for his great posts and inspiring me to try the same thing... see his How I paint thread at.. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...hreadid=327977
I have taught at art schools and privately over the last several years and like John I am trying this on the internet for the first time. I am happy to have questions and am open to suggestions as I post and this will be a learning excersise for me too.
So down to business.... here is a picture of my portable "studio" This is my smallest paint box ... an old cigar box. I got the box for free and paid less than a dollar for studio tacks and paperclips to set up a working "pochade box"
For the cafes I work light and portable. I sometimes take My open M box .. http://www.openboxm.com/ ..with a tripod when I work a little larger ( 9 x 12 inches) My cigar box is for tiny paintings ... studies really.. and they are aprox 5 x 7 inches. This box holds my paints.. medium, brushes and palette knife.

I can turn my wet painting around when I'm done and the red paper clips you see hold the surface away from the inside of the lid so my painting isn't ruined. I will describe my medium paints and palette in detail in the next post.

Please bear with me while I take you slowly through my posts... I paint much faster than I post!

http://andrewjudd.blogspot.com/
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast
Leeds, England

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: How I paint in a cafe by Andrew Judd

Andrew, do you ask people's consent before painting them ?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2006, 03:46 PM

Hails from Canada

Hi Keith.
I have never asked anyones permission. If someone looks uncomfortable I wil paint the areas around them first and wait till someone else comes along. The cafe seems somehow like a stage to me. When the right person shows I paint them in place. My paintings usually are not so detailed that a person would say "that is me" so I think I'm pretty safe there.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Immortalized

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew judd
Thanks to everyone who have encouraged me to post a demo here.
I especially want to thank John Cox for his great posts and inspiring me to try the same thing... see his How I paint thread at.. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...hreadid=327977
I have taught at art schools and privately over the last several years and like John I am trying this on the internet for the first time. I am happy to have questions and am open to suggestions as I post and this will be a learning excersise for me too.
So down to business.... here is a picture of my portable "studio" This is my smallest paint box ... an old cigar box. I got the box for free and paid less than a dollar for studio tacks and paperclips to set up a working "pochade box"
For the cafes I work light and portable. I sometimes take My open M box .. http://www.openboxm.com/ ..with a tripod when I work a little larger ( 9 x 12 inches) My cigar box is for tiny paintings ... studies really.. and they are aprox 5 x 7 inches. This box holds my paints.. medium, brushes and palette knife.

I can turn my wet painting around when I'm done and the red paper clips you see hold the surface away from the inside of the lid so my painting isn't ruined. I will describe my medium paints and palette in detail in the next post.

Please bear with me while I take you slowly through my posts... I paint much faster than I post!

http://andrewjudd.blogspot.com/

Fantastic, Andrew....really looking forward to this....thanks so much!....
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Enthusiast
Outside Atlantic City, New Jersey

Hails from United States

Hi Andrew...
I just wanted to let you know I'm watching with great interest!
Thankyou.
...chuck
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2006, 04:17 PM

Hails from Canada

Here is the second post for this demo.
I am showing a photo here of my palette and basic colours I use.
I have a small container of FRESH and CLEAN odourless turps.
The little metal cups both hold Walnut oil.
I sometimes use stand oil for a little thicker aplication but I find the walnut oil drys to a less shiny and more consistent finish.
I only use the Walnut oil when I am painting somewhat thicker ares of paint over thinner areas ... the old rule... Fat over lean. I find if I want to lay a clean stroke of colour over another a touch of Walnut oil helps when it is mixed evenly into the colour applied on top.

My colours are as follows from right to left...
1.Titanium white (in this case Amsterdam Paint) I like to use Permelba white as well when I can get it. I usually order it by the case when I'm in Canada.

The rest of the colours here are all Old Holland classic paints. Expensive but beautiful intense colours I must say. I also use Winsor and Newton colours interchangeably.

2.Cadmium yellow lemon
3.Yellow ochre light
4.Cadmium red light
5.Alizarin crimson lake extra
6.Cobalt blue
7.Ultramarine blue deep
8.Transparent oxide red lake

I used to mix a warm and cool grey but have stopped doing this recently in favour of mixing more colourful grey areas.

I am using a strip away palette for the cafe works at this size. When I use my open M box I just carry wet colours ready to go in palette area in the box. The less time setting up the better when you are on the fly.

All of these items take little space on a cafe table. I still have room for my coffee and dessert!

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2006, 07:47 PM

Andrew,
I am so glad you are doing this. I truly enjoy your work and love your idea of painting in cafe's. It's going to be a treat to watch you do it.
Thanks for doing it. I know it's going to be a wonderful experiece to learn from you.
Go to it!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2006, 07:49 PM

Andrew,
I am so glad you are doing this. I truly enjoy your work and love your idea of painting in cafe's. It's going to be a treat to watch you do it.
Thanks for doing it. I know it's going to be a wonderful experiece to learn from you.
Go to it
Visualone
www.johncoxfineart.com
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Enthusiast
TX

Hails from United States

This is great ~and ~I feel as though I have a front row seat! Maybe I'll order a coffee
Thanks Andrew!
Dawn
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2006, 09:35 PM
New York City

Hails from United States

Is that Alizarin crimson on the coffee mug?

This is really cool. Thanks for this post.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas City

Hails from United States

Ever so much fun, Andrew! Thank you! I've enjoyed my little digital camera in a restaurant, but never considered painting there. LOL! Wonderful! Donna ;-}

• Visit the Writings page for Studio Tips and other useful Information
I celebrate the beauty around us with Color and Light! Donna Aldridge
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2006, 11:36 PM

watching with interest Andrew! thanks for sharing!!

Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.
Henry Ward Beecher
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2006, 12:04 AM
A Local Legend
Utah!

Hails from United States

I wanted to share some thanks for this, as well, Andrew, I love your cafe paintings!

~!Carey
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2006, 04:09 AM

Hails from Canada

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement. This is definitely a lot less nerve wracking than the lectures I do at OCAD in Toronto Canada when as many as 60 students are watching a portrait take shape. The challenge writing this post seems to be finding the right words to say simply what is most important... I digress already!

Here is the next post.

I am showing in the next two photos my brushes and other painting tools.
I've tried so many different brushes over the years from the cheapest fall apart 50 cent types to the finest (and very expensive )Winsor & Newton Series 7 sable brushes. I have one conclusion...
Use Good brushes!
The question is always.. What is a good brush?
A good brush for me is one that behaves in a predictable way. Sometimes I find a brush that wears down a little to the point I can make nice textured passages. I have other brushes that keep a sharp chisled edge... and others that come to a perfect point.
I have fought too many times to get the drawing right... the values right ...the colours right and that last piece of desert in my mouth to try and fiddle with my brush coming to a good point! A good brush loads well with paint. A good brush is as important as good paint and CLEAN TURPS.
When the tools are right for the job ... the job is so much easier (or perhaps I should say you have a fighting chance).
Imagine a musician sitting down to a piano that is out of tune... they are defeated before they begin.

I know as a young ... hungry art student I couldn't afford the very best .. but I got the best I could afford.
Sadly ... I didn't know much about brushes or colour or canvas then and I bought some very strange things indeed. I still keep a few paints from years ago because the names are so weird!
I will discuss colour in more detail later.

The white brushes shown are synthetic from Boesner in Vienna. ( http://boesner.com/index.htm ) They are firmer than sable .. hold their shape better than bristle but hold less paint than either sable or bristle. When I am painting small I find I need brushes that give me more control over my drawing with smaller shapes to deal with. When I paint larger (up to 6 x 6 feet) I can get out the big bristle brushes and lay the paint on nice and thick.
The two yellow brushes are old bristle brushes and the names are worn off. They are cheaper quality brushes and I use them for quickly mopping paint into an area.
My favorite bristle brushes are Langnickel. Also I have a set of Raphael bristle brushes that have served me well for years.
I use flats... filberts and brights. (I dont usually use filberts in the cafe... I find the flats give me better control over architectural features.)
The other two important painting tools are a good palette knife and a strong cotton rag!
The rag serves well for wiping away passages I don't like (mistakes) and for applying textures and blending now and then.
The knife is a new paint tool to me in some ways... I took Richard Schmid's advice and am using it more and more for razor sharp edges and laying in large masses quickly.

I also remember reading somewhere Sargent saying you should use a brush that feels just a little too big for the job at hand and I must agree. I think this forces simplification of shapes and values without a whole lot of blending.

The second photo shows how I hold my brushes and a rag for cleaning as I go. That leaves my other hand free to paint and sip coffee.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2006, 04:57 AM

Hails from Canada

Here's a photo of the cafe. I should have taken a shot with more of the window but between shooting photos... setting up my paints and eating apple strudel I didn't think of everything.

For this demonstration I am painting a view I have painted before. I know I will be relatively unobstructed and the light was cool and consistent. This cafe also has some nice greens and yellows to work with.

The waiters know me there and I feel comfortable. Incidentally I have never been told to leave ... I did have one concerned customer one time ask me if I was making a bomb as he watched me set up. I assured him I was harmless in my best broken German.

I have had so many amazing things happen in the cafes as I paint! I have had several people (including the waiters) buy me a glass of wine. I've met artists from all over the world. I've had curious onlookers ask about prices and where I show .. and I've had the odd person sit immediately in front of me blocking almost my entire view and they never even notice me.
I wait patiently till they leave and continue on painting if the light hasn't changed too much. After all I'm in their space too.

A camera would seem easier I'm sure some must think.. but there is no better way to paint from life than to paint from life! The colours are there in truth.. the values are right and the atmosphere of coffee smells ,cigarette smoke, rustling of newspapers and chatter of cafe patrons seem to add an exciting importance to capturing it all in paint.

The cafes in Vienna are a world unto themselves. People come and go all day long and some folks sit in the cafe for hours. The tradition of giving a glass of water with your coffee (or melange) as they call it here is the official welcome to stay as long as you like.

No one brings a bill unless you ask for it and sometimes the wait staff are nowhere to be found when you do want the bill. Many famous artists have painted.. drawn and written in the cafes here and sometimes I feel the remnants of nicotine from ancient artist's cigars must cling to the ceilings.

Okay ... sorry for the small novel but painting on the spot is like nothing else I know for excitement and growing as an artist and a painter. I really encourage anyone to try it a few times and not be afraid of making mistakes in front of others.