Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Gallery Lillies ( painting on expensive blotting paper)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

That’s it! I’m done!! I’ve finished it! :clap:

I present you my Lillies botanical illustration that is the epitome of Merphy’s Law.
    I’ve started on November 2017 and I’ve finished it today!
    In between people and pets got sick and died, I had to move to a new house and my paper died too ( more you can read on this thread) with me ending up painting on a very heavy weight and expensive blotting paper. :rolleyes:

But I didn’t want to give up this painting and here it is. As it is. ( be kind please)

P.S. I’m feeling like I woke up from a painting nightmare… if you get my point! :lol:

indraneel

Well, the troubles don’t show at all. It’s quite beautiful! So, great job!

I don’t think that they don’t show at all. The paper’s surface is full of spots. I had to glaze the background with gouache in order to hide some how the bad condition of the surface of the paper.
        I don’t want to tell – in order not to spoil your nice mood not anything else- what a nightmare was to scan it. And I’ve foresaw that on the other thread.
        The paper now has become like dried skin. That stiff.

P.S. I forgot to mention above that this painting was done on Saunders Waterford 425 gsm HP paper.

Catspeare

It’s gorgeous! Whatever troubled you is not apparent on my computer screen. If in real life the paper surface is unsatisfactory, can you not still make prints and/or note cards of it, if you do that sort of thing?

Cat

Zeldaquatic

Wonderful ! It was worth it !

Ellen E

You’re always an inspiration to me, Marialena. This is a very beautiful painting, no matter what you had to overcome. In fact, that’s even more of an inspiration to me.

KiwiKate

Your struggles don’t show — it’s a beautiful botanical of my very favorite flowers.

Kate
                        Henderson, Nevada
                        C&C always welcomed!

"Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday". -- Anon.

Kaylen

its beautiful

Kaylen Savoie
                            https://www.savoieartist.com/
                            At least twice a year,paint something better than you ever painted before.

KiwiKate

And by the way Marialena, your lovely flowers are irises not lillies.

Kate
                                Henderson, Nevada
                                C&C always welcomed!

"Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday". -- Anon.

ErnstG

Fantastic!

Ernst

Meine Seiten - My website
                                    Malen ist nicht alles im Leben - aber ohne Malen ist alles nichts!
                                    Painting is not everything in life - but without painting everything is nothing!

hardmoney

Very beautiful! Love the rich colors.

Johndk

HI Marialena

So great that you shared this. I have had a similar problem when the sizing went to &*(%$W&(!***. What a nightmare…I just stopped. Then it occured to me that the paper was reacting like rice paper, so used it for Chinese Brushwork style – and it was simply marevellous….for a while…and then these spots appeared…like mould. Not pretty! What to do…so a hid the spots with passages in Chinese ink – black of course – thick like treacle. The result…passable.

I applaud your persistence. :clap:

Regarding the outcome…I must say the screen view is fine, so you obviously did a reasonable scanning job.

The actual flowers, background aside, show great skill, and are actually rather wonderful with the softer edges – very appropriate for irises.

P.S. I loved your description of the paper as “dried skin” :lol:

As long as there is light, I will paint it.

Wonderful flowers Marialena, but they are Iris.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Thank you for your kind comments and for informing me what are these flowers.

The truth is, now that I recall it, that the my initial intention was to make Irises and I can’t say why I renamed them. Probably because I started and stopped painting this particular painting for 8-9 months and my mind wasn’t very clear at that point.

Human mind works in very strange ways. I can tell for instance on what point I painted the stems, or on what point I made each flower and these are connected with not so nice memories.

I just kept on painting this particular work in moments that I wanted to distract my mind if that make sense and what these flowers are was the least of my concerns.

Lillies or Irises or whatever, did it really matter? At some point all were mixed up, I’m not sure what I was thinking.

So I lost completely the plot. I’ve lost also during the move from the one house to the other whatever notes I had kept for the colours that I used ( I’m sure that I’ll find them in a sketchbook or something at some point in the future).
                                            So each time that I’ve started again to work on this painting I started from the very beginning trying to recall what I had done the last time.

It was you see a painting that my dad told me that he would like to see it finished, but he didn’t and I had to finish it no matter what :crying: :crying: and Saunders should go #$&^% it self because that was a painting that I wanted to dedicate to my father and the paper died too and I ended up trying to figure out how to fix the paper’s mess on top of trying to fix mine..

Doug can you change the name on the tittle please. I’m going to change it on my website too. For accuracy purposes not something else.
                                            And I’m not in the mood now to say something else I’m feeling very depressed right now.:crying:

Merriweather

Beautiful iris’s Marialena , you have done a wonderful job in a less than optimum situation…

Yes, Iris show their faces now ( spring) my garden has heaps of white ones, Lillies show their faces around Christmas time in my garden.

Painting is a complete distraction. I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely absorbs the mind. Winston Churchill

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.