Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Pitcher With Flowers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    WFMartin

I’m starting a new painting on an Oil-primed, Linen, RayMar Panel. It is a pitcher with flowers in it.

As many of you already know, I begin my still-lifes with a grisaille underpainting, over which I then apply many glazes of color.

This is my grisaille underpainting. This time, I used some Gamblin’s Torrit gray paint that I’ve had for a long time. I received it as a free sample when I attended a demonstration by Gamblin quit a few years ago, as I recall. Anyway, in this case it worked well as an imprimatura, as well as for my mixtures in this grisaille.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
        https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Alan P. in OC

Immediately upon viewing I said, ‘looks like Bill changed up his gray mixture’. Sure enough, you’re using the Torrit grey:).

Great start, looking forward to your glazing updates!

Dcam

Aha Bill, there is some warmth to the old grisaille. This is going to be special…..looking forward to it.

Derek

WFMartin

Haha……Yeah…Can’t get NUTTIN’ past you guys, can I?:lol: :lol:

That Torrit Gray actually works very well, so now I have a really great use for it.

Richard P

Love the variety of soft and hard edges. :)

I like the warmer grey as well.

Hamburgefions

That’s a good start Bill. Soft and beautiful.

But be careful, the bottom of the pitcher should be a little more rounded, I think.

🤟🏻

I like where this is going, I’m looking forward to the updates and seeing your process at work

Paul Moreau
                                Insta @pmoreau_fine_art
                                FB @pmoreaufineart

Pinguino

Looking forward to the finished work.

Torrit Gray is not a fixed hue. It is a random blend of whatever was caught by Gamblin’s dust filters over a period of time. I believe that last year’s blend had a greenish tone.

WFMartin

That’s a good start Bill. Soft and beautiful.

But be careful, the bottom of the pitcher should be a little more rounded, I think.

You may be correct about that! Thank you. I believe I’ll modify that.:)

Pinguino, yes I know that Torrit Gray is not standard. A painter who did a demo for our art club had used Torrit Gray as her underpainting for the demo, and it seemed to be appropriate. Since I have some Torrit Gray to use up, I thought I’d give it a try.

I actually have TWO tubes of Torrit Gray, and each of them are a bit different.

I’ve begun my first glaze layer of color, and today I’m going to address the bottom of the pitcher as Hamburgefions suggested. Good catch, BTW.:thumbsup:

I always begin my first glaze layer by addressing an area that is not very crucial to the painting. Then, when I get “on a roll”, I’ll ease into the more intricate, demanding areas of color. For this, I started with the dark, green leaves. Then, I began the body of the pitcher.

BabsNC

Hi,
                                            I just read through the entire thread of your Purple Iris demo. Thank you from the bottom of my heart from a newbie to oil painting. Now I also know what to do with that free tube of Torrit grey. Thank you for another great demo. Great start to your painting.:clap:
                                            Barb

Ellis Ammons

Looks good so far. Thanks for sharing the process.

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
                                                oil and acrylic paintings..

WFMartin

Hi,
                                                    I just read through the entire thread of your Purple Iris demo. Thank you from the bottom of my heart from a newbie to oil painting. Now I also know what to do with that free tube of Torrit grey. Thank you for another great demo. Great start to your painting.:clap:
                                                    Barb

Hey BabsNC….Glad to see you here. And, thank you so very much for mentioning that you browsed through that Purple Iris demo of mine. That demo is a rather accurate version of the way I paint a still-life, or flower painting.

A couple of other threads, or articles of mine on Wet Canvas are these, in case you might be interested in looking at them:

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285157

And, this one is quite a lengthy demo (workshop), which can be found in the “Classical Forum” in which I describe the appropriate use of values for the glazing process:

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362343

Perhaps those may give you some ideas.:)

WFMartin

I glazed a few more areas, but I left a flower in its grisaille condition just for comparison. Also, the background is still grisaille.

At this stage, much of the grisaille is still showing through, and it is forming some of the “darks”, that make up the value scale of the painting. By the time I’ve completed the glaze layers, the grisaille will be mostly covered by the glaze layers.

Here is the result of my latest effort. And, I have worked at making the bottom of the pitcher a bit more rounded, as Hamburgefions had suggested. Thank you for noticing that.

I apply the color glaze layers by smearing some of my glazing medium onto the surface of the dried underpainting, and then spreading it out with my fingertip until it is so thin that it exhibits only a bit of a “sheen” compared against the untreated areas. Then, I apply my full-bodied paint right into this applied couch of medium, allowing the medium to serve as a lubricant for the paint, rather than as a “thinner”, or a “diluent”. I could not do this if I used an alkyd medium, as it would tack up much too fast to be able to manipulate the paint glaze as I apply it.

Ellis Ammons

I could not do this if I used an alkyd medium.

;) Right, in general alkyd mediums are not meant to be couched. I think galkyd is the only one that says it’s ok. Personally I usually don’t use alkyd much because I like open paint. If I want to layer I use acrylic. I’ve found acrylics only suffer from color shift in darker paints.

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
                                                            oil and acrylic paintings..

carolkay

It’s looking beautiful already

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Carol Sometime's failure is the opposite to success~ but sometimes failure can be the pathway to success
                                                              Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.