Home Forums The Town Center Café Guerbois Speakeasy-Games Cut off your nose to spite your face

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Katie Black

The idiom to cut off your nose to spite your face means you shouldn’t do something out of spite or revenge that will end up causing more harm to you than to the person with which you are angry. :eek: In other words, do not let your overreaction lead to self-harm.

Here’s some more…if you have some please share.

“a few sandwiches short of a picnic.” – someone that lacks common sense.

‘When pigs fly’ – something that will never happen.

In for a penny in for a pound – If you’re going to take a risk at all, you might as well make it a big risk

don’t spoil the ship for a ha’porth of tar – I know you don’t want to pay for this expensive course of treatment, but … to miss work, you’ll see that you were penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Katie Black Fine Art

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

Kosmon

“You can’t make an omelet without buying some eggs” – Thanks for trying to do the grocery shopping, honey.

Hemmed & Hawn
            from
            PERESTRELLO's BOX[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
            Root, Bone, Sticks & Stone
            snoball

Best thing since sliced bread. Meaning a really good idea.
                Bite off more than you can chew. Meaning taking on more than you can handle.
                Don’t cry over spilled milk. Meaning don’t worry about something in the past that you can’t change.
                It takes two to tango. Meaning a task or communication takes more than one person.
                Let the cat out of the bag. Meaning disclose information that was previously concealed.
                To kill two birds with one stone. Meaning to accomplish two tasks at once.

If you're asking me for advice, I'm going to assume that you've run out of rational options.
                My work on Facebook

Kosmon

“A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush” – But a stone in the hand and two birds in the bush is even better. If you’re handy with a stone.

“Don’t count your eggs before they hatch” – Don’t plan on the best possible outcome; be prepared to adjust.

“Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater” – We use our bathwater to water the flowers, so this could never happen.

“A stitch in time saves nine” – A timely repair can preempt an untimely and more expensive breakdown.

“Two wrongs don’t make a right” – The look on kids’ faces as they try to puzzle out how or why two wrongs could possibly make a right is priceless.

“No good deed goes unpunished” – Don’t even think about saying this to kids.

Hemmed & Hawn
                    from
                    PERESTRELLO's BOX[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
                    Root, Bone, Sticks & Stone
                    ianuk

His eyes are bigger than his belly … Totally false in most cases.

Empty vessels make the most noise.

Cheers,
                        Chris

C&C of all sorts always welcome! (I don't mind rude or harsh criticism.)
                        I suppose I have to do this too :p (my blog, & current work). My Visual Arts Nova Scotia page.
                        Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known - Oscar Wilde

The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution

musket

The most dreaded words a man can hear from a woman he desires–

“I love you as a friend.”

ianuk

The most dreaded words a man can hear from a woman he desires–

“I love you as a friend.”

That’s funny, only today I asked my friend if he was aware of any groups in the area suitable for me to join. His response was “Have you tried the Samaritans?”

I said, hang on! I turned to his Amazon Alexa (one of those little round robot things) and asked, “Alexa, do you love me?” The reply, “I like you as a friend”.

At least we both laughed about it.

PaintBoss

Lol Ian.
                                    I hope you find a friendly group.:)

Knee high to a grasshopper. -referring to when a person was very young, or before birth.
                                    Fart in a mitt.- someone fussing and all emotionally worked up with nowhere to go/ cannot calm down over an issue. Usually nothing very serious except to them.
                                    Go stick your head in a snow bank. – Go cool off/ calm down.
                                    Cool your jets- Calm down.
                                    Couldn’t organize a piss up in a brewery.- Completely useless organizing anything.
                                    When you were just a twinkle in your father’s eye… – I never understood this as a child. Lol Meaning before you were born.
                                    What is good for the goose, is good for the gander.- you have all heard this one. Still pertinent. Same treatment or ramifications for both sexes. Implying men should have to get the same deal as women get. No special treatment.
                                    Don’t get your nighty in a knot.- Calm down, don’t get so worked up.
                                    Take a long walk off a short cliff. – A polite way to tell someone to go to hell or die soon.:eek: :evil:
                                    Turn the page. – move on from the subject/ issue.
                                    Calling a spade, a spade. – Frank and direct explanation, no sugar coating/ talking around a subject.
                                    *****footing around. -This is not meant as sexually explicit. It means the opposite of calling a spade, a spade. Messing about, avoiding an issue. It can also be said as “no ***** footing around”. ( WC won’t allow the word. It starts with “p”, and can mean a cat. I am not implying anything more).
                                    And Bob’s your uncle. – this definitely confuses some immigrants to Canada in my experience. And ironic too as at one time most of us have had an Uncle Bob. We use to take polls how many actually had an Uncle Bob, short for Robert…Ethnic diversity has changed that though. So it can be very perplexing for some newcomers. It means everything will turn out great. For instance, you tell someone to do certain instructions and then, say “And Bob’s your uncle”. Meaning everything falls into place.
                                    I don’t think I am telling tales out of school. (or, Don’t tell tales out of school).- don’t tell secrets or gossip. My parent’s generation say this frequently. I like the phrase. And smile because it reminds me so much of that generation.

I find the British have wonderful and colourful sayings for everything. I really like,
                                    Suits me down to the ground.- very good, convenient for a person.
                                    Wikipedia has a long list of their idioms. Many well known. Personally I love their word gobsmacked.

~Christine
                                    🇨🇦

I find the British have wonderful and colourful sayings for everything. I really like,
                                    Suits me down to the ground.- very good, convenient for a person.
                                    Wikipedia has a long list of their idioms. Many well known. Personally I love their word gobsmacked.

One of my favourites that I think originated over there:
                                    Pull your socks up. (like get your act together…)

Cheers;
                                    Chris

C&C of all sorts always welcome! (I don't mind rude or harsh criticism.)
                                    I suppose I have to do this too :p (my blog, & current work). My Visual Arts Nova Scotia page.
                                    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known - Oscar Wilde

The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution

ianuk

I don’t know where I got this from, but when guys at work would ask me if the work was ok, I’d say. It’s as sound as a trout with a glass eye. My meaning was, it’s not perfect, but it’s good enough.

musket

The first variation of the five dreaded words happens when a guy gets rejected as a possible romantic partner.

Here’s the second variation, after a guy gets dumped–

“I hope we’ll always be friends.”

Both variations often really mean, sotto voce, “This is so embarrassing. God, I hope I never see this guy again.”

(BTW I’m sure this is a unisex phenom, just using hetero folk as as example).

Don’t get your nighty in a knot.- Calm down, don’t get so worked up.

A variation of the above is, “Don’t get your knickers in a twist.”

Thick as two short planks i.e. dumb and dummer
                                            Piss up a rope do something really stupid
                                            A 6 and 2 3’s the same thing

It is only on a basis of knowledge that we can become free to compose naturally. -- Bernard Dunstan
                                            blog.jlk.net

musket

Not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

One shy of a six pack.

Not firing on all cylinders.

Katie Black

That’s funny, only today I asked my friend if he was aware of any groups in the area suitable for me to join. His response was “Have you tried the Samaritans?”

I said, hang on! I turned to his Amazon Alexa (one of those little round robot things) and asked, “Alexa, do you love me?” The reply, “I like you as a friend”.

At least we both laughed about it.

:lol: :lol:

Katie Black Fine Art

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.