Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio Chiaroscuro WIP

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Merriweather

Hi , friend visiting Aus from EU agreed to a shoot with the understanding that I was going to have a go at painting it. I advised that it would be chiaroscuro, so I picked a spot under a large oak tree.

This is the ref photo.

The first sketch just to get some proportions and tones and ideas to how I want it to look.

Today I just redid the whole thing on baking paper…. cheap n cheerful, but it works for me… and really slapped on the ink. Added some background to how I think it might look good.

Now that in my head I know what I want and how I want it to look, I shall sketch it again on proper watercolour paper..:crossfingers:

This week is the start of my little art group, for the year ahead, and I wanted to be prepared to create… ( Meaning that I did not want to show up without a plan)

Will continue to post the next stages.

CC welcomed.

Thanks

MW

Painting is a complete distraction. I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely absorbs the mind. Winston Churchill

Merriweather

The background did not work out how I wanted it… I see that now the coloured leaves are going to detract. I have tried a few different backgrounds, and not happy with any of them… I wanted something in the background, leaves I thought, and now I am not sure. I have scrubbed the background on the right quite a few times… Glad there is no hole in the paper yet

Re the person, that is coming along..

so if anyone has some good ideas for the background, that would be nice..

Thank you

Merriweather

Painting is a complete distraction. I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely absorbs the mind. Winston Churchill

Johndk

I like your painting. :cool:

You have this interesting palette of cool blues (Prussian blue?) for the main subject, and then great cool colours for the background with a super pop of warm colour to the left of the face. I like that little pop and would preserve it.

I think the smudgy passage above and surrounding the head is not that effective and not serving the light quality. I would do a careful light lift of this passage – applying clean water, let it settle a few seconds, and then very lightly using natural sponge or tissue, lift some of the colour (not all). Then…

I would consider placing a cool blue glaze over the background up from the top until that lovely preserved white horizontal at mid level (keeping that lovely piece of cool yellow and green peeping out to the left of the left arm on the “step” of white paper area). This glaze also to preserve the great warm pop already mentioned above, and providing a cool veil over the “rescued” smudge area. For glazing it needs a light touch, not scrubbing or prodding – just simple delicate wash strokes.

The end result should be harmonious and keep the focus on the main subject – which I think is lovely.

Hope this helps.

As long as there is light, I will paint it.

Merriweather

Thank you Johndk for your thoughts. I am using a Indigo, Prussian Blu, and Ultrmarine Blu, with Green Olive and Quin Gold. I will take your advice and I hate the smudgy bit above the head too. I got to a point that I just kept going on the person and left the background waiting for a ‘bright idea’ thank you.

I am hoping the bright part doesn’t detract and if I feel it does, when its complete, I shall glaze over it just a tad to tone it down.

We have had a week of extreme heat temp which saps the life out of me ( and everyone tbh) so I haven’t been able to ‘sink my teeth ‘ into this painting with gusto as I would normally do.

I intend to stay with blue hues for the figure. I have previously done a face portrait with just blue and that worked well, so I hope this does too

kind regards

Merriweather

Ellen E

What about putting the background in as a greyscale (if I’m using the term correctly) and then just do the subject in color? I think that might be effective.

Merriweather

What about putting the background in as a greyscale (if I’m using the term correctly) and then just do the subject in color? I think that might be effective.

Hi Ellen, and thank you… I think that might work, but because I wanted to make lots of lost and found ( practicing) edges, I will continue and make the background quite dark as previous poster suggested .

I have gotten rid of some of the top part, and toned down the colourful parts. Just posting an update of where I hope this will head.
                            Also, I am no expert with the hands and feet, so I guess its about half way.

Thank you for your suggestions. Plenty of work to do. I need to really mix a big batch for the background, but I just wanted to get most of the person in first.

kind regards

Merriweather

Merriweather

To Johndk,

{I would consider placing a cool blue glaze over the background up from the top until that lovely preserved white horizontal at mid level (keeping that lovely piece of cool yellow and green peeping out to the left of the left arm on the “step” of white paper area). This glaze also to preserve the great warm pop already mentioned above, and providing a cool veil over the “rescued” smudge area. For glazing it needs a light touch, not scrubbing or prodding – just simple delicate wash strokes.}

Yes, I will do that… just working on the figure a bit more first. thank you

kind regards

Merriweather

Johndk

The second pic already looking good. The figure is really good. You mention indigo – now there’s a thought – haven’t used this glorious dark in a while. And you mention the heat; we are also melting in South Africa, with drought thrown in for good measure.

Can’t wait to see your finished work.

Cheers.

Johndk

The second pic already looking good. The figure is really good. You mention indigo – now there’s a thought – haven’t used this glorious dark in a while. And you mention the heat; we are also melting in South Africa, with drought thrown in for good measure.

Can’t wait to see your finished work.:wave:

Cheers.

Merriweather

I think I am done… I am starting to fiddle now, and I know that is not a good sign…

So, if anyone would like to CC please do.
                                            in particular, which way does your eye go over the painting… or where does your eye go first. ?

Thanks

kind regards

Merriweather

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.