WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portraiture Forum Library Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2012, 04:19 PM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales
Re: Talking Heads - A Chat Thread

Yes trying to keep models and participants happy is a juggling act Lauren, I’m having trouble retaining life models at the moment.

Dave
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2012, 02:01 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

A change of subject. Up in the Oily Rag, we're planning a Mayan End of the world Party on Dec. 21st. What we do is all get together in spirit and Party Hearty! You are all invited, since we don't have to break out the folding chairs. The more, the merrier!

I'm not inviting my cats...they would drink up all the eggnog, and they're already too fat!

I'm shopping for baby shrimp for my Shrimp Mousse. Can we invite somebody with a beard and a long robe to carry a sign that says "The World Ends Today?"

Is anybody making Bourbon Balls? That's another thing I haven't made for a party in years. It may be because after eating one or two, I have to get a designated driver!

Here's the recipe, if anybody wants to volunteer:

This easy recipe is a Southern favorite, made with bourbon, vanilla wafer crumbs, and cocoa, along with pecans and confectioners' sugar.

Ingredients:

1 cup fine vanilla wafer crumbs
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup bourbon
1 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
confectioners' sugar, sifted

Preparation:
Thoroughly combine 1 crushed vanilla wafer crumbs, chopped pecans, 1 cup confectioners' sugar, and the cocoa. In a separate bowl, blend the bourbon and corn syrup. Stir this bourbon mixture into the dry mixture; blend well. Cover and chill for at least a few hours. Sift about 1/2 to 1 cup of confectioners' sugar on a cookie sheet. Shape small bits of the dough into balls and roll them in the confectioners'. Store in refrigerator in tightly covered containers. Make these a few days in advance for best flavor, and roll in confectioners' sugar again before serving, if desired. These can also be frozen for longer storage.

Makes about 3 dozen bourbon balls. We need at least 3 dozen guests so nobody requires a taxi!

#48   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2012, 06:01 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Yes, everyone is welcome...already have established we will party right on through Christmas..and who really knows with New Years looming after that...but at any rate show up the 21st for the last day of the world!!!! Will be much food, drink and music...and most of all good company!!!
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog

Last edited by !becca : 12-01-2012 at 06:03 AM.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2012, 07:25 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I figure that some old Mayan that made the calendars back in the third century up and died, and the next Mayan who came along for the job said, "Man, this is ridiculous - I'm not doing any more of these - the old guy got up to over 700 years from now - never happen! The end of the world will come before then!"

And that is really what happened and how the rumors got started. I know, because I was there.

Anyhow, I've got my cat workin' on it, just in case.

#50   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:36 PM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Lol!
Nancy, you are a hoot!

Well, I hope to be celebrating the end of the waning half of the year, solar-wise, and doing a Yule vigil on the longest night of the year. I expect that there will be a December 22....
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:01 PM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

.... But I have to open my exhibition on the 29th... do I go ahead and order the invites or not? Can I just drift by in a drunken haze? Will you hang the paintings for me?
I'll be there- can't resist the fabulous company!

#52   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2012, 11:57 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Sure, Beth, just send me the ticket to Australia! I would glom onto getting a second summer. While I was there, I could go annoy Sandra at her atelier in Brisbane, too!

Don't worry about the 29th, my cat is a whiz at saving the world. At least for cats...

Want me to bring you a nice supply of bourbon balls, too? I can do that!

#53   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2012, 11:59 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Lauren, I don't whether I'm a hoot, but I am a night owl. I'm very sober now; it's only when I drink that I get serious.

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 PM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

lol!
Yes, Nancy, you are a hoot!
Keep on hooting, whether or not you are powered by bourbon balls!
I'd like to go to Auz with you, and it would sure be fun to surprise Sandra and our other WC friends there! After that, we can help Bethany hang her paintings and then celebrate.... welcome in 2013, because it seems to start first there!
I'm all for another summer. The thought of winter coming on is not exciting at all.
You and I can try surfing, eh?
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2012, 12:56 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Lauren, I'm just great at wading into the ocean about waist deep, watching the wave come in, and running like a coward for land. YOu would think I was one of the little sandpipers you see running on the beach and You'd never believe I took a water ballet class in college. I had to; I was gonna try out for learning to be a lifeguard in the summer breaks, but the woman who taught the life-saver swim class nearly drowned me. I love being in water as long as nothing and nobody is attacking me!

But I'll watch you surf while painting waves from a safe distance!

I think we should get Dana into the party for the 21st; I'll bet she makes great margaritas! We'll all meet in the Wet Canvas Kitchen, swap lies, and sip a few (Becca says she's even seen a chocolate wine!) while we cook up our specialties!

Last edited by NancyMP : 12-09-2012 at 12:58 AM.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2012, 02:55 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

Great ! I will see you ladies at the opening- I am having an afternoon tea- with a friend playing piano- very sophisticated! Wear your cocktail dresses...

#57   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2012, 05:19 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Bethany, can I wear my cocktail jeans? They have bling on the pockets!

#58   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2012, 11:17 PM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Nancy -- I'm picturing you in those fancy jeans... and in high heels... and carrying a marguerita!

Very nice to think of ocean beaches, surfing and margueritas... and chocolate wine (I've had chocolate honey mead -- very good!).
Nice to think of that instead of winter, which is what we have outside here. And I'm no ski-bunny.

Bethany's almost done with the school term.... just a few more days until freedom, eh! I have three more shifts at the toy store, and then I'm done. I've just been working there part-time for pre-Christmas. I enjoy it when it's busy and crazy, with all the desperate customers trying to help with Santa's lists. (LOTs of LEGO!)
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2012, 01:58 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

3 days to go... we are going away for the 4 days over christmas- on a house-boat! Just my 24yo daughter, 21yo son, husband and me! Like a caravan on the water... interesting christmas dinner...!
And I am opening my solo exhibition on the 29th- madness! It will all fall into place I am sure!
You are all invited to the opening! See you there!
Nancy- wear your cocktail jeans to the opening as well- it is an afternoon tea- but very elegant with jazz piano!

Sounds like you are having a good time with the toys, Lauren!

#60   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2012, 12:56 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

My idea has been swiped by a bar/restaurant here! I just found out they're have an end-of-the-world party, too. It's called the Yucatan Taco Stand Tequila Bar and Grill, and they're calling their party "Tacopocalypse." They're gonna have a taco-eating contest, fod and drink specials and live music.

Dang greenhorns; they just opened up in mid-November. I tell you what; since I've already got the shrimp mousse made for tomorrow, I'll go get some Taco makings so we can have tacos, too!

Every time you turn around in these here parts, someone's having a party.

Bethany, I'll not only wear my cocktail jeans, but my cocktail boots!