WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#811   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2011, 03:39 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States
Re: Supplies while sketching/journaling - version 2

Greetings, AMASS buddies!

WC, thanks for the fix tip on the Plumix. I tried, but it's a no go. I must have killed it. *sigh* I'm going to replace it.

Jan, totally agree with you about wanting a slightly wider italic nib than the Plumix Medium for much of my writing, but I like this width too. Jan, let us know if you locate that BB Italic! I'll bet Brian and Rachel could get them in for us. Thanks for the pic! The Prera is beautiful and, geez, it sure doesn't look small in the photo.

Catlady, I've seen those brushes too. I've thought about getting a very fine one for details, when the other brushes tend to spew out too much water and I want some dark accents, light highlights, or bright color spots. If you get one, let us know how it works out.

Rainy, I'm happy for you with your new loot! Yeah, it's always a challenge to figure out which ink to put in which pen, and then I always change my mind! And then I want an italic nib with a different ink, or an extra fine..... I have both Noodlers 41 and Lexington Gray in Lamy pens right now. At least I can easily swap nibs on those!

Jamie
  #812   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2011, 10:45 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Attention fellow AMASSers! Your must-have pencil sharpener! Just in time for the holidays. This retro piece will cause quite the stir in your drawing workshops. Impress friends and strangers! Scare 'em, even!

Jan
  #813   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2011, 11:17 AM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Hmmmm...do I have room in my studio (art supply warehouse is perhaps a better description) for this ingenious and practical device?!? In addition to the benefits described on the site, and in your post, it looks like in a pinch you could fry a bacon and egg breakfast in it...

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #814   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2011, 03:44 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

That sharpener is sooooo cool! I think I must have it.

Rainy, how's that Ahab?
  #815   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2011, 09:57 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

I loaded my Noodler's Ahab pen with Noodler's #41 brown (new ink for me). First off, my pen is just ADORABLE. . . I got the Mandarin, its a solid yellow. Its so much nicer than the regular flex pens, it feels better in my hand because its more substantial and I love the color, it seems to be put together better. I like the new fill system better, also.

Ok, so then I wrote with it. Again, SO much nicer than the regular flex pen. I got a nice thin smooth wet line with no pressure and then with a little pressure, a lovely wider dark line.

So far, I love this pen. Its pretty, it writes well in two sizes of lines in one, and it feels so cool in my hand. Did I mention that its PRETTY! I am so glad I chose this color. Sorry, photo does not do it justice (or the green sport either, which is cute)

Kaweco Ice Sport Green, Noodler's Ahab Mandarin, Noodler's Flex

Last edited by RainySea : 11-30-2011 at 10:29 PM.
  #816   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2011, 10:37 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainySea
I loaded my Noodler's Ahab pen with Noodler's #41 brown (new ink for me). First off, my pen is just ADORABLE. . . I got the Mandarin, its a solid yellow. Its so much nicer than the regular flex pens, it feels better in my hand because its more substantial and I love the color, it seems to be put together better. I like the new fill system better, also.

Ok, so then I wrote with it. Again, SO much nicer than the regular flex pen. I got a nice thin smooth wet line with no pressure and then with a little pressure, a lovely wider dark line.

So far, I love this pen. Its pretty, it writes well in two sizes of lines in one, and it feels so cool in my hand. Did I mention that its PRETTY! I am so glad I chose this color.

wait. . . . a photo is coming.

Wow, Rainy, what a great review! I got my Ahab today --- the clear demonstrator. I flushed the pen and loaded it up with J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune, and it doesn't write at all. Not at all. Sigh. I emptied the pen, flushed it again, and I'll have to fiddle with it some other time.

This was definitely not the night for that to happen, having been told today by a security guard that we couldn't sketch at the mall, and then told by management that, okay, we could sketch, but couldn't include any logos or store names in our sketches, and couldn't take any photos, and I was halfway into my second sketch at that point. I guess we're just like any other bunch of terrorists!

But the TWSBI B and Kaweco BB are awesome.

Jamie
  #817   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Wow Jan, that sharpener looks complicated; 'course I have had a couple glasses of wine tonight. I'll take another look tomorrow.

I've been reading all these posts on pen and inks and even though I loved my fountain pens from my young years, I cannot justify the expense. I did find at my local Kroger affiliate a two pack of Sharpie Stylo pens,with a fine point. I tried it on Canson Mi Tientes and then wet it with a brush. It is waterproof and bleedproof. I quite like it. You might try it for your packs - no ink bottles or extra pens to carry around.

Carole A
  #818   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMB
Hmmmm...do I have room in my studio (art supply warehouse is perhaps a better description) for this ingenious and practical device?!? In addition to the benefits described on the site, and in your post, it looks like in a pinch you could fry a bacon and egg breakfast in it...
That pencil sharpener actually kinda reminds me of a tortilla press that I bought once when I was delirious. So I think you're right!

RE: Mr. AHAB -- Rainy loves hers and Jamie's Ahab doesn't even work. Ha! (What's that old adage about not buying the first model year of a car? Sheesh!) I am most interested in how the flex of the Ahab compares with that of the Wahl Eversharp Symphony nib. Jamie, you have both, right? Rainy, do you?

Jamie, the TWSBI isn't too heavy? That's great! It's a cool dude, ain't it?

RE: Terrorists Sketching at the Mall -- Eeek, eek! Beware!! I am sure this paranoia has something to do with the Tea Party Malls are no fun anyway. Ta' heck with 'em.

Jan

Last edited by Studio-1-F : 12-01-2011 at 08:35 AM.
  #819   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2011, 08:43 AM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

after sitting all night, the ahab wrote right away with a wet line this morning. YAY. The noodler 41 is not waterproof on the epsilon even after it dried, but might be different on the aqaurius which I will try later.

this doodle page shows the thin lines with no pressure and the thicker/darker lines with a little pressure. also shows how the 41 washes even after it had been sitting to dry

epsilon, noodler 41 in ahab
  #820   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Rainy = not a morning person!

RE: PR Velvet Black - Someone is questioning my claim that PR Velvet Black ink is wonderfully washy. The nerve! Tee hee.

Jan
  #821   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2011, 09:23 AM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Jan. . . actually I like mornings. . . what I HATE, hate, hate is GOING TO WORK

post a sample on the forum Jan.
  #822   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Ahhha ---> work! I get it.

BTW, this certainly cures me of the urge to buy the new Iroshizuku Ina-Ho ink. Bleh. Whew! Just as I predicted: watery. But also greenish to boot! Yikes.

Did as you suggested: posted a link to a Velvet Black example.

Jan
  #823   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2011, 02:34 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio-1-F
Attention fellow AMASSers! Your must-have pencil sharpener! Just in time for the holidays. This retro piece will cause quite the stir in your drawing workshops. Impress friends and strangers! Scare 'em, even!

Jan

Jan, that is indeed a cool pencil sharpener. If it will take those rectangular contractor's pencils, I want one! And if it fries eggs like John suggests, I'll take two!

Re: the TWSBI....It's not so much that the pen is heavy as that it is unbalanced. It's probably about the same weight as the Sheaffer 100, but the TWSBI is top heavy with the cap posted, whereas the Sheaffer is very well balanced. The barrel of the TWSBI is long enough for me to leave it unposted, and the pen is such a joy to look at! Very smooth, clean writer too. I feel the nib needs to break in a bit....Might try that paper bag tip, but I'm quite pleased with it. If I didn't love writing with it, I'd get a pen holder and set it out to be viewed as sculpture. LOL

Jan, it's really funny how different the terminology is for fountain pen folks and artists. What they call water resistant we call washable, and what they call archival we call fugitive. Ha!

Rainy, hey, wouldn't you like to trade your smooth-writing yellow Ahab for a wonderful-looking clear demonstrator model? Are you loving the little Kaweco? I adore mine.

Last night I grabbed a bunch of baggies and sorted all my ink samples by color group. Why didn't I think of this before? Now when I need a specific green or blue to go with a sketch, I can look through the baggie to see which ones would be best to try. I keep all the baggies in a plastic box. Just in case. Cause ya' know, someday they're going to all try to spill on whatever happens to be the most expensive carpet in the house.

Jamie
  #824   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2011, 03:39 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Jan, lovely example you posted. That guy may have a point about washable meaning in fountain pens, BUT any way you look at it, his claim that Black Velvet is water resistant (in his last post) is just not accurate. *sigh*

Sorry you are not liking the balance of your TWSBI Jamie and that your Ahab is giving you fits, too! UGH. I just drew a crow on aquarius with my Ahab. . . I continue to love that pen. I must have drawn an ace with that one. WHOOHOO, about time since I've had horrible luck with the preppies, they just won't write for me. I do like the Kwaeco fine but right now its overshadowed by the Ahab

Last edited by RainySea : 12-01-2011 at 03:42 PM.
  #825   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2011, 03:58 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Rainy, I'm so happy for you! And just to clarify things, I LOVE the TWSBI! I just prefer to write with it unposted because of the balance issue. That definitely won't stop me from using it, and from all the reviews, I knew that going into the deal so I wasn't in the least bit surprised nor disappointed by it.

I'm going to play with my Ahab and get that thing to work if it kills me. But it's going to have to wait until I have more time to play.

Jamie