WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Alabama

Hails from United States
Re: Supplies while sketching/journaling - version 2

Jamie, please ignore the note I sent you- I found this thread! It's crazy. I was getting notified when someone posted but then when i followed the link WC told me that it was an invalid thread! Then it disappeared from my subscribed threads list!

Anyway, I feel much better now! LOL!
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 08:16 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

wow, very cool Jamie! Thanks
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Rain24, wow cool tiny bag-full-o-art!!! I just ordered a selection of small zip/mesh bags from Blick and will try to create the perfect to-go bag. Yours is sooo well thought out!
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandAlArt
Rain24, wow cool tiny bag-full-o-art!!! I just ordered a selection of small zip/mesh bags from Blick and will try to create the perfect to-go bag. Yours is sooo well thought out!

Thanks, Candace! Mine works for how I do things right now. The only thing I wish for is that it was a smidge larger. It's harder to get an 8" x 5" sketchbook in there. I have to stick to the small 3 1/2" x 5" and handmade ones. One of these days I'll get around to posting the other bags that I pack for sketching/painting.

I hope the new bags work out for you and post it here when you get your gear together. I love looking at other people's stuff!
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
New England

Hails from United States

This is a great thread. Helpful. I'm putting together a sketching kit since the snow has finally melted and the plants are starting their growth cycle once again. The different ideas for necessary materials give me alot to think about- what might be important to me and maybe not. Looking forward to seeing more.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

i agree this is a great thread, i am particularly interested in an appropriate bag, to carry the gear. i am looking for something with a number of pockets.
it sounds easy, but i havent found anything that is the perfect bag yet. i have tried messenger bags, camera bags, the illusive search continues.
it seems it is necessary to have at least a few bags...from a quick go to bag that holds basics....to a larger bag to hold basics + lunch, water, bug spray, sun screen, camera.... i must admit i enjoy the search for the perfect bag!!!
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 01:17 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb57
it seems it is necessary to have at least a few bags...from a quick go to bag that holds basics....to a larger bag to hold basics + lunch, water, bug spray, sun screen, camera.... i must admit i enjoy the search for the perfect bag!!!

One of the things I like about my bag is that it has a zipper around the side that can expand the entire back section or keep it smaller. If I don't want to have to carry everything with me, I just empty out unnecessary items into a box or bag in my car. Then I can zip up that compartment to make the bag nice and sleek for light travel. I saw a couple of bags similar to this on Ebay last night, and they were pretty inexpensive.

Jamie
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

jmb57, The perfect bags are as illusive as the perfect sketchbook,. After I plan my various size zipper bags for tools and sketchpapers, I hope to find a smallish backpack for -as you said- water & lunch space as well. I have had good luck with the non-gigantic and featherweight selection of backpacks in the purse dept. at Walmarts. Inexpensive as well. For the men reading here- just get the dark colors and no one will know they are "purses." DH has several great totes for his uses that came from supposed purse depts. Always cheaper than in the hiking gear sections. Marketing....
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Alabama

Hails from United States

Jamie, I just realized that the bag my son gave me for Christmas is almost identical to the one you've shown above. The difference is my name is embroidered on the flap! LOL! I think I'm going to have fun rearranging my art stuff in it tonight! I had put a few things, but until I saw how you had yours laid out I hadn't really gotten around to organizing it.

I'm going to visit my sister on Monday, so now's the perfect time to organize that bag.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

jamie would you mind giving me the link for the bag you saw on ebay.
i am currently watching one of those Pack-Rat Drop-In Organizer which was mentioned....that looks great.
but yours is a good size as well, i like the pockets and the expanding thingy is a great idea.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 02:04 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb57
jamie would you mind giving me the link for the bag you saw on ebay.
i am currently watching one of those Pack-Rat Drop-In Organizer which was mentioned....that looks great.
but yours is a good size as well, i like the pockets and the expanding thingy is a great idea.

Here you go....and they have more than 10 available. Enough for everybody! LOL

Leslie, sounds great! Let us see it when you're done.

Jamie
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

wow!! that was quick.
thanks, i checked it out, the postage to australia is crazy.
the search continues!!!!
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Here's the mini backpack that I'm currently thinking is the one that works for me. These pics are way overpacked on gear - but I wanted to see if it was feasible to bring my watercolor tubes too. I hate running out of a color.

Packed full with water (even popped in the larger sprayer, though honestly that side can be used for more drinking water.

7" x 10" watercolor field book and a Moleskine too, plus my pencil case and pouch of tube colors

The W&N watercolor kit fits nicely on top of the pouch

I can even fit my triple brush washer on top.

I have a folding palette that actually fits in the front pocket!

Paper towel, tissues and more brushes in top compartment. BUT, these items can fit inside the bag and this area is actually insulated for snacks!

This is everything minus the water bottles.

I can't believe how nicely everything fit in here and that's with me carrying a LOT of extra stuff. I could pare down and make this a lot lighter and carry food with me. I'm going to be testing this setup further.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Westerly, RI

Hails from United States

This is a great thread! I disappeared for a few days to finish taxes and Sue's new logo and then uncrash my computer, and all this appears! Food for thought, as I've been trying to refine my system - aiming for lightness, but not too much...

This was taken with my computer - don't know why it has to be so blurry since it was sitting firmly on the table...

That's a very lightweight little canvas bag ("ammo bag") at the back that I'm going to experiment with. I've been using a lovely navy blue nylon purse, just a little bigger with lots of pockets, but now I want it to be my actual purse as it's a lot lighter than my leather one. We shall see - the blue nylon one just holds my Yarka watercolor set, right side up in the bottom, and I do love all those pockets.

This one can hold the watercolors too, actually, but it makes the sketchbook stick out the top, and I'd be limited to the waterbrush as there's no place left for a little jar. It might work anyway, as I often carry the sketchbook and a pencil in my hand as I walk so I can draw whatever crosses my path instantly.

All the pens (and the waterbrush) exactly fit into the blue pencil box - if I want another color pen I have to kick one out. It has a little white drawer that pulls out, and is very lightweight.

The watercolor pencils are in a leather case with 2 page spreads - holds 48 pencils. I actually have the one that holds 96, but decided I'd better make some choices to lighten things up. I don't seem to miss the ones I leave behind, but these are really important and I don't want to squeeze them any further. The case is a bit heavy but makes them very easy to use.

The book (7x7) and pencil and pen cases all fit in the single big section of the bag, and the two front pockets can hold cell phone and dark glasses. Maybe I'll slip a pencil sharpener in with the cell phone. Car keys are on a bronze snap hook such as is used on boats, so they can clip onto the handle of the bag if I don't have a pocket. Hmmmm... it's heavy - I should find a plastic clip. Everything else is in my regular purse, which I lock in the wayback with the cover pulled over before I drive to where I want to sketch, so I only have to take this bag with me.

Now, if it would only stop raining, so I could try it out...

Sketching supplies.jpg
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Rain & Kema- GREAT bag pics and descriptions! You are both pros at packing.

"my regular purse, which I lock in the wayback with the cover pulled over" LOL Kema, I use the same expresion- the wayback! And mine has a cover too which is super for art jaunts & keeping prying eyes out of your stuff.

Using a flat tin, like the Graphitint one in the photo, is good even if it has different items than the original. You can use the lid for a palette or water. Fits nicely anywhere and protects stuff inside.

And if you only want one sketchbook & one medium you have room to pack snacks!