WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1561   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2012, 04:32 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Re: Supplies while sketching/journaling - version 2

Actually, Nathan probably doesn't have time for a Ferrari. He does all the work himself. The art on the labels, the ink formulation, finding the suppliers for bottles and droppers etc. He's a one man show. If something happens to him, there is no more Noodler's. When asked why he didn't get some help, like a college student intern or something, he said what he does is chemistry and he'd just be training his competitor if he let someone in on the operation. Goulet Pens had a couple of interviews with him. He's quite a character.
  #1562   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Seattle, Washington

Hails from United States

Re: Nathan: Don't forget that great drawing of Ahab on the back of the insert! When I saw that, I realized, wow, here's some unique marketing!

And now, ahem... I'd like to announce... my blog!
http://tina-koyama.blogspot.com/

After considering it for literally years on a variety of topics, all of you have such great blogs that I got inspired to finally launch my own. You'll be having some deja vu, as I used some of the same content I've posted here in this thread the past couple months.

Fueled by Clouds & Coffee
  #1563   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 04:20 AM
Lord of the Arts
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Wow Tina you have put a lot of work into this already. Congratulations.
  #1564   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 09:20 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDebby
Actually, Nathan probably doesn't have time for a Ferrari. He does all the work himself. The art on the labels, the ink formulation, finding the suppliers for bottles and droppers etc. He's a one man show. If something happens to him, there is no more Noodler's. When asked why he didn't get some help, like a college student intern or something, he said what he does is chemistry and he'd just be training his competitor if he let someone in on the operation. Goulet Pens had a couple of interviews with him. He's quite a character.
Truly! I love the guy and am deeply appreciative of what he's accomplished. It's remarkable. But please, there is definitely some very self-consciously conceived image polishing going on here. Granted he may not want to share his formulation secrets with anyone, but there is no mystique about finding the suppliers for bottles and droppers, printing labels, finding a box supplier, and all the mundane stuff. Why would a dedicated (obsessed?) chemist/pen designer want to waste time with the mundane? Again, I love the guy and love his ink very much. I just wish he'd admit to enjoying that Ferrari that he's got.

Tina! Great blog! The green scheme is . . . wow, green! It could turn out to be a good below-the-radar branding technique. For example, all your images could have a 3-pixel border of the same color as the olive green behind the title. Tie everything together nicely. But thank you for not using a busy and distracting background. I love you for it!
-- Beware of using too-specific tags, otherwise you'll end up with eighty-gazillion tags, each with only one or two postings, and then you'll have to turn half of them off so as to make sure the tag cloud doesn't take up half the column. (Which is what I had to do.)
-- I like the Pages! It is useful to date-stamp anything that has "Current" in the title, so readers can know how really current your "Current" material is.
Anyway, well done! I'm bookmarking it!

Jan
  #1565   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Tumbling Shoals, Arkansas

Hails from United States

I turned an Ahab into an eyedropper (roll the o-ring that's on there up to the top of the second set of threads and add silicone) and it does hold a lot of ink, BUT, once it's half-empty it starts leaking into the lid like crazy.

As for Nathan Tardiff, I consider him a modern eccentric, and I don't think it's any kind of act. I've known people like him (mostly engineers, no offense to engineers, LOL) and his attitude about sourcing and secrecy is completely conceivable to me. I wouldn't do it the way he does, but I've known a number of people that have and do.

Here's a video (link through Ink Nouveau) that showcases some of his personality. http://www.inknouveau.com/2011/01/na...ght-about.html
  #1566   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberwacky
I turned an Ahab into an eyedropper (roll the o-ring that's on there up to the top of the second set of threads and add silicone) and it does hold a lot of ink, BUT, once it's half-empty it starts leaking into the lid like crazy.
Maybe this is where that little tube comes into play --> to equalize the pressure when an eyedropper conversion is half empty? Maybe? Could be!

Jan
  #1567   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 03:09 PM

Hails from United States

And this has probably been posted before, but here's Roz' video on making the pamphlet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z2jX...e_gdata_player

Speaking of bookmaking, I finally got a copy of Books, Boxes and Wraps by Marilyn Webberly and JoAn Forsyth, recommended by Roz. Why, oh why did I wait so long? It is the best of the books I have. Not only is it thorough, it's easy to understand. I paid $44, and it was worth the price, if only for the information contained in the Binder's Tool Chest section in the back!

Last edited by Aberwacky : 03-23-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: adding missing link
  #1568   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 05:06 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Congrats Tina. Looks like a fun blog.
  #1569   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 05:58 PM

Hails from United States

Looking good, Tina! Wow, you're doing great--keep up the good work.

Well, I tried putting the breather tube in my eyedropperizized Ahab, aaannnnd it is still leaking and blooping. Dang.
  #1570   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberwacky
Well, I tried putting the breather tube in my eyedropperizized Ahab, aaannnnd it is still leaking and blooping. Dang.
Double dang! It was worth a try. Now we know what the tube is not for. Hmm.

[[ Two Part AMASS Alert ]]

1- Gouache brushes -- Taking a tip from Roz's blog I ordered a few of the "Silver Bristlon" 1903 filbert brushes. She recommends them for gouache here and then here. Well they arrived and I really like them! I have the #2, the #4, and the #6. I have been using the #4 quite a bit and I am liking it a lot. These are not as soft as watercolor filberts but not as stiff and coarse as the oil filberts. They seem to work well with gouache. Stiff enough so you can scrub and re-wet dried gouache. But not so coarse that you leave paint furrows on the paper. Below are the three sizes in my hand, so you can judge the sizes better.

2- The Kutsuwa Dr. Ion Large Pencase -- This I do not have but it looks potentially quite businesslike. Handle and all! There is a larger version as well.

Jan

EDIT: RE: Books, Boxes and Wraps by Marilyn Webberly and JoAn Forsyth --- I found it in the library and have ordered it! Thanks, Leigh, for the tip! Looking forward to seeing if I need to buy my own.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited by Studio-1-F : 03-23-2012 at 06:54 PM.
  #1571   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Does anyone know what this is: A Network for Art Journaling? Is anyone a member?

Jan
  #1572   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2012, 12:51 AM
Seattle, Washington

Hails from United States

Thanks for the blog encouragement, everyone! I'm having fun with it. Great suggestions, Jan - I hadn't thought of the over-crowded cloud, but I noticed it is already pretty big.

But wait - there's more exciting news: I got a Wise Walker shoulder bag from Jetpens! I think it's going to be exactly what I've been looking for in a flight carry-on! I LOVE a great bag (second only to art supplies!). And I threw in a Nomadic flap pencil case while I was at it! I think it's that orange lining that makes them so irresistible.

#1573   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2012, 12:54 AM
Seattle, Washington

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio-1-F
Does anyone know what this is: A Network for Art Journaling? Is anyone a member?

Jan

Is logging in the only way to get in? No way to just look around a little first...? That seems sort of off-putting. I'm curious too, though.

#1574   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2012, 06:33 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

ditto!

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #1575   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miatagrrl
Is logging in the only way to get in? No way to just look around a little first...? That seems sort of off-putting. I'm curious too, though.
More here. Looks okay.

Jan