WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2011, 09:57 AM

Re: Just a Thought

It's a really well done piece. I particularly like the woodwork I can almost feel it's dry structure :P About the whole fineart vs non-fineart thing...I will not get into that. I just love all kinds of art and less interested in labels and such.

Anywho, cool piece.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2011, 02:44 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Razz: Thanks very much. derek
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Derek, your painting is beautiful, and has everything I would like to achieve in my own painting in acrylics (and haven't yet!) - a great sense of light and shadow, well-rendered figures elements and figures, textures, color design, and expertise in general. If you ever decide to teach acrylic painting, count me in as a student! And yes, please post more of your work!!
It is an interesting discussion - "fine art" v. illustration - and I have a funny story to tell. Have a very good friend through whom I have learned to "read" a painting - would go to the Museum with him and he would be able to see so many things and interpret so much, that I never would have been able to notice on my own. Don't know how he does it, I assumed he took a class (?) He could spot right away if a figure was "painted over" or just in general, the story being told by the painting, and I would be lost for words in awe of his insight. Well, once we went to an Illustration exhibit, original paintings of classic illustrators - and he was quite unimpressed by JC Leyendecker, Charles Dana Gibson, Howard Pyle, etc., etc. Boy was I offended, because I have grown up worshiping these guys!! He said "Where are they??" of the figures, because there was "no background" - he didn't understand that blank space was left for the masthead of the magazine! He "kinda liked" Maxfield Parrish (Oh, hooray!), but the illos for romance magazines - He asked why "everyone is crying" (!) in these paintings! This fellow is an animator, who draws cartoon/fantastic figures for a living (!) He is a commercial artist, not a fine artist. I was just dumbfounded by his lack of response (not lack of respect, but lack of response) to illustration, as opposed to historic art. He literally could not relate and didn't think much of them. Interesting, do you think?
Thanks, Cathy
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2011, 02:49 AM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

Hi Derek, I just wandered in to take a look and here you are with one of your beautiful detailed paintings. I love it as a fun painting beautifully rendered and I think it is pretty fine! Not going to get into the discussion! Jen
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Denver, CO

Hails from United States

Some could argue that Michelangelo was more of an "Illustrator" because a good number of his works were commissioned by the Church to educate and depict specific situations/philosophies of the Church. The Sistine Chapel mural for example is nothing more then an illustration executed on a wall using mural techniques of the time. It tells a story, specifically the Church approved "story" of the time.

For some reason, as artists we tend to categorize ourselves by our medium and intent rather then our subject matter and the finished artwork. Most artists say, "I'm an Illustrator" or "I'm a Fine Artist" rather then the common denominator "I'm simply an artist". For example, I could wake up tomorrow and decide to paint a landscape with no intention but to hang the finished piece on my living room wall; this makes me a "Fine Artist". Conversely, a week from now I could find myself being commissioned to paint a local band's cd booklet cover which makes me an "Illustrator". So what am I, a "Fine Artist" or an "Illustrator"? How about I'm simply an "Artist".

Keep on keeping on. Art is art and yours is terrific!

www.vincentcreative.net
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2011, 01:07 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Well said folks.....sorry I am late commenting. Derek
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2011, 03:22 PM
Immortalized
Salt Lake City, UTAH

Hails from United States

I like your piece. Good job. I would say you're an artist
Midge
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2011, 07:10 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Thanks so much Midge.
Derek
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Chorley Preston Blackburn Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

You can feel the heat of the sun, the slight breeze coming in of the sea and the anticipation of the life guard. Would love to see this in a larger format or even better still in real life. Great work.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2011, 12:02 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
East of Eden

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusher
and he was quite unimpressed by JC Leyendecker, Charles Dana Gibson, Howard Pyle, etc., etc.
I can at least understand that in relation to the Leyendecker, who really didn't put in any background much of the time. In defense of your friend, I remember hearing, in a discussion with an illustration instructor, that Leyendecker himself did not consider himself an illustrator since many of his works do not tell a story. Rather sort of a designer of icons in paint. A rather good one, though!
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2011, 08:48 PM
A Local Legend
Wallingford VT

Hails from United States

Great piece

Thanks for your critiques and comments.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Lord of the Arts
Denver, CO

Hails from United States

De-lurking for the first time here. Hope y'all don't mind!

Derek - beautiful painting

I guess I would respectfully disagree with llawrence on one minor point...while "illustrators" don't necessarily have to worry about the longevity of their works, many of them did (and do). And I could point to a a lot of so-called fine artists who don't care a whit about the longevity of their work.

I've been somewhat bewildered by this distinction (between "art" and "illustration") a long time too. I too was a big fan of NC Wyeth and Howard Pyle as a kid...and especially JW Waterhouse and the other pre-Raphaelites. These "illustrators" are probably more responsible for my learning to draw and paint than anything or anyone else. Funny, many of the pre-Raphaelite paintings were once derided as mere illustrations - now those same paintings are often considered fine art masterpieces. Interesting. Opinions change over time I guess.

I'm to the point now where I call myself a painter and let everyone else figure out how to categorize my work I actually prefer viewing paintings that somehow tell a story or otherwise engage my mind. I like trying to figure out what the background story is. I would say that a lot of figurative works are narrative at some level...the viewer may not be familiar with the story depicted in a "fine art" figurative painting but there often is one there. In my view, real art should (ideally) spring forth gloriously from our creative depths, not simply be created to conform to some ill-defined and narrow view of what's "acceptable" at the time.

As mentioned previously, the interesting thing is that many, many "fine art" paintings actually DO illustrate a story, often out of the Bible, or were commissioned for a specific purpose (like education). I would agree even that Michaelangelo's sculpture are both fine art and illustration ("David", "The Pieta", etc). Thomas Moran was hired by the Haydn Expedition to sketch and paint the wonders of the American west...does that mean his paintings of the Green River area or the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone are mere "illustrations?" Tell that to whoever bought "Green River of Wyoming" which recently sold at auction for over $17 million USD.

IMO, the distinction between art and illustration (if there is one) is arbitrary at best and changes over time.

Good topic!

Nancy
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Lord of the Arts

thats a really nice painting...i agree there is no boundary between illustration and fine art, i think its just a mind set.
i have enjoyed seeing the lifeguard painting.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2011, 08:16 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

Work like this definitely crosses over the boundary and is both fine art and illustration - great work

I don't see all illustration as fine art but the good stuff definitely has equal value/importance I agree. Think of artists like Toulouse Lautrec.

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark

Ha! First time peeking in on this forum and I run into Dereks first thread! Well done and well stated. I think a lot of my art work would likely fall into the illustration catagory. This looks great Derek, my only slight crit might be the one person that appears to hold the water horizon up on his head?