WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Design/Composition; which answer best fits your response?
I'd buy a book on the matter. 39 69.64%
I'd attend a brief lecture 8 14.29%
I'd attend a week long class 14 25.00%
not interested 4 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2002, 09:23 AM
Lord of the Arts
America

Hails from United States
Question advanced composition for painters

I wonder how much interest there is out there for really advanced discussion of design and composition. What format would be preferred. It seems to me that even experienced professionals have regular challenges with this part of painting.

BTW, This lovely image of Rosa's is not one of those needing help IMO.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2002, 09:32 AM
Chicago

Hails from United States
I'd buy a book (and have in the past) and go to a brief lecture or even a one or two day workshop, but I think a week of composition might be a battle of will power.

I find composition hard to get a feel for. Even though I've read about the subject, I still tend to go for a gut feel in picking a final composition. Not a very reliable method...
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2002, 12:05 PM
A Local Legend
Dark Side of the Moon

Hails from United States
Hi Tim. I would take a week long class if it was available (though that might be a bit challenging as mentioned above), probably buy the book too.

I think composition is 50% technical, 50% gut instinct. How do you feel about that?

Tina
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2002, 12:11 PM
A Local Legend
USA, GA

Hails from United States
Well, I'm still in my babyhood of understanding basic design and compostion so an advanced class would probably scare me to death. When I do have questions or want to learn more, I read books and then

Most important.... LOL

I visit the comp and design forum here at WC!

I'd love to see you do an article on design and composition so that I would have some of your thoughts in one place. How about it Tim... could you do one for us? We all would appreciate it.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2002, 12:36 PM
Lord of the Arts
America

Hails from United States
llis

I'd be glad to but when I tried to figure out how to post an article the system whipped me. I couldn't figure out how to work the posting and pages etc. Maybe I'll try it again.

I know someone that teaches workshops at an established art school which has full time classes and thereby has really advanced painters take his class when he's there. Composition has become a greater part of his class each time he teaches and it's a popular subject.

There's so much to talk about. I think the trick would be to keep it hands on, with the art students having a go at the thoughts discussed. It's only a matter of becoming aware of the many nuiances of design. Like the image above, note how she unified the mass of white? White horses with men in white shirts make an abstract white form-that these are seperate objects is not important. The unit works-it's awesome. This is a part of the work of course, but it's so nicely done.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2002, 12:40 PM
Lord of the Arts
America

Hails from United States
Tina

I think our instincts reflect our knowledge base. We learn and then naturally blend the new observations into our personal data base. yes? Thus, a courtroom atty can, after 29 years, gain courtroom instinct not present at birth.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2002, 01:53 PM
Immortalized
Plainfield, NH

Hails from United States
Tim you posted one of my most favorite paintings! It's at the Met, and every time I go there I wind up standing in front of this painting (it's HUGE) and just staring for ages. I love it.

I too would love to see you do an article on compostion. I am still baffled by composition on the whole and I wind up going with my gut way too often.

I just figured out the article publisher myself, so if you need help from someone who until only recently was baffled by it, I'd be happy to lend a hand.

Amy
Thirdroar - My Portfolio.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2002, 02:33 PM
A Local Legend
Dark Side of the Moon

Hails from United States
Absolutely Tim! AND we would love for you to do an article!!!! Amy beat me to the punch........and since she has just recently used the article publisher, she can give you some good advice!!

Tina
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2002, 03:02 PM
Enthusiast
West Indies / Caribbean

Just to be Wicked - hee hee

Oh Tina,

at what level would you like Tim to teach composition on -

Line,
Pattern[abstract],
Light and Shadow,
[negative and positive shapes]
Tone,
Colour,
Surface Texture,
and so on .......

Lovingly Titanium

Composition is probably the technical heart and soul.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2002, 03:03 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States
Count me in

Okay, I'm in too. I vote for Tim to do an article.

Jamie
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2002, 05:10 PM
A WC! Legend
Ocala, Fl. USA

Hails from United States
Tim, i would be happy to put you in touch with Sassybird. She is our article guru and i'm sure she can help you with using the system. Just let me know. We could use an article like this!
Cheryl
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2002, 07:48 PM
A Local Legend
Dark Side of the Moon

Hails from United States
Re: Just to be Wicked - hee hee

Quote:
Originally posted by Titanium
Oh Tina,

at what level would you like Tim to teach composition on -

Line,
Pattern[abstract],
Light and Shadow,
[negative and positive shapes]
Tone,
Colour,
Surface Texture,
and so on .......

Lovingly Titanium

Composition is probably the technical heart and soul.

WELL...........Can we just have it all? LOL You know us girls.........WE WANT IT ALL!!

LOL...on a more serious note, you know I have trouble with all of these . hee hee. Well, sometimes anyway. But the Article is for everyone, and I'm sure Tim can decide what he feels would best suit everyone's needs. It would be a fantastic educational addition to the article section! Hey T - maybe you could do one on Old Masters techniques??

((hugs!!))

Tim - was no intention to turn your thread into an advertisement for articles But, please do consider!

Tina
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2002, 08:09 PM
A Local Legend
USA, GA

Hails from United States
Tim: I see that you have already had lots of volunteer helpers and lots of folks that would love to see you do an article here.

Just a suggestion, why not start with the two that you already have in the system. Actually one already has two pages of images and thoughts behind it. With a little polish, these could really be your entire article. All you need to do is expand on what you already have.

The publisher can be a little hard to work with the first time, but don't give up. Take out some paper and draw a thumbnail of how you would like each page to look and then develop your pages from there. I think I released this one back to you in July with a few notes that you could begin the edit process with.

Sassybird is now the editor at large while I am on another assignment.... not WC! related. She will help you with any revamp you need. All you would need to do is go to your publisher and find the article you started on and decide where to go from there. Actually, you are almost there already. LOL

Take a look and see if you can fill in some blanks.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2002, 08:56 PM
Lord of the Arts
America

Hails from United States
well thanks

I honestly think about design wholistically and would discuss everything at once in a format that would allow it. Were copyrights not an issue I could find lots of examples in today many art magazines to discuss. There are so amny specific things to mention. All the books I've seen miss the point, don't state the point or are simply for beginners.

I appreciate the offer for help and I'll try to do that. I'm dashing all over right now and have to paint for 2 shows and four galleries. I will get after soon.

Thank You All
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2002, 08:58 PM
Lord of the Arts
America

Hails from United States
PS

There's a thread in debates about design that I started that use some infusion of ideas.