WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2010, 12:23 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: What's in the Salmagundi Club Ludwig Set + A Comparison Chart

Wow--there is a ton of info here, Anne-Marie! I wish your thread had a different title so that when people are looking for colors listed in sets they would know to look here... Consider asking the Mods to change it--maybe to something like Ludwig Color Charts and Colors, or some such thing. I'm going to rate this five stars, too, so that it will go into our library!
Gouache Blog
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2010, 01:10 AM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

oh the blessing of an orderly mind and practice, wish I had one...:-) fortunately you have so graciously shared yours with us...thanks!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2010, 01:22 AM

lol Colleen. And Deborah: Thank you for the stars! That is a super compliment, especially as I have a huge amount of respect and admiration for you! The mods have my permission to rename it whatever they like. I do know there is a "sets" thread--I think in the learning center? Sooz I think started it? And that is where it seems the pictures should go. I think I tried in the past to post there, but I didn't have permission.

The mods have complete and total permission to use any information, thread, post, or picture in any way they deem helpful to others here, whether that means moving the pix to another thread, renaming this one, or whatever else might be helpful.

Thanks again for the kind words!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2010, 03:25 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Wow! Thank you for the charts! They're beautiful - and I can see the gaps in the Ludwig set from here. No lemon yellows or green cast yellows, nor bright greens, that's something I'd have to fill out. This is making me lean more toward the Unisons but I still may get that set sometime.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2010, 07:25 AM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

I also thank these charts. Faber-castell chart even tells thing what i dont know with them is possible make such a strong area of colour. and what faber-castell product this is exactly ?
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2010, 11:36 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Anne-Marie, it's my understanding that the mods will only respond if you contact and request a title change... just push the little exclamation mark in the triangle at the upper right-hand corner of the box and fill in the blank. That goes directly to the moderators from our forum, Deirdre and Merethe. Or you can PM one of them to ask.

And if the rest of you think this is a good thread, rate it! That makes it simpler for the mods to find and store it in the library later on. If enough of you give it five stars it shows on the thread listing.

And you don't need to add this to the other thread on sets, I don't think. It's a good stand-alone thread, IMHO.
Gouache Blog
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2010, 10:57 PM

Thanks Deborah and Robert!

JPQ: The pastels are Faber Castell Polychromos--the look similar to Creatacolor or NuPastels. They are a fantastic deal, in my opinion: about $175US for 120 pastels. More expensive than NuPastels, but I have tried NuPastels in the past --several times, in fact--and just have never liked them. They seem "chalky" to me. The Faber Castells have very saturated color. Because I have so few pastels, I really depend on them to fill out my palette. I have also discovered that I like using them instead of a tortillon to blend with. Hope this helps!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2010, 11:30 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Faber Castell Polychromos are also more lightfast - the entire range has acceptable lightfastness, unlike the NuPastels. I wound up giving my NuPastels to a student and bought the Richeson hard sticks, but the range of the Polychromos is better balanced.

Though if I organize the Richeson ones better in the box it may be easier to see that, there's a project for me one of these days. I'm not buying another large pastels set anytime soon so anything that'll make the Richeson set easier to use is a good thing.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2010, 01:37 AM

I was very interested in the Richeson set, but Dakota did not include them in their "sampler" set, and I was wary of getting them without being able to try them at all.

The Faber-Castells surprised me. I have their 60-set pen set and don't like it at all. I also have their watercolor pencils and find that the colors--though they have the same name and number as the pastels--are repetitive in the watercolor set (not so in the pastel set!) I was very surprised that I liked them. When I got my sampler, I deliberately did not look at the wrapping or markings on those pastels that came with them. I was familiar with Unisons, so I knew right away which one the Unison was, but I was not familiar with any of the others, having only used Senneliers and Rembrants and NuPastels a couple times. I didn't want to bias my take on the pastels as I tried them--because I knew that Schminke was considered a luxury brand and that people tend not to like Rembrandt, etc. And so I was very surprised, when I tried the hard pastels, that the one I liked by far was Faber-Castell. It was definitely a "go figure" moment.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

Faber-castell ansver tells lot but i dont yet know how well tehey mix in their own category.
ps. i think i can get easily at least 12 and 24colour sets.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Lord of the Arts
Virginia

Hails from United States

Faber-Castells are cheap enough, it's easy to get the full set. I especially like the light blue. Many of the rest are so incredibly saturated that I mentally have to put reins on when using them. They can overpower easily.

Allowing them to compliment the power of each other, here's a quick diptych I did pretty much using them on their own, pictured before I cut it. I think they're each 5x7. I used the UArt paper to provide color, too, and there is a watercolor underpainting.

(In this economy, I've had a good number of small paintings sell, so that's been my motivation. I also really wanted to use the Faber-Castells to their fullest.)

Bonnie Ferguson Butler [Art : Facebook]
Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. (Pablo Picasso)
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

i mean easy in shops what i know in finland and i current stuff what they sell.
but i know few places what i think can get bigger boxes. btw looks suitable stuff for me. and i like their coloured pencils (watersolubles more) i think maybe best greens at least...
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2010, 10:12 AM

WOW Potoma, that is stunning. Love it. Love the super saturated colors as a treatment for an abstracted landscape. Love the texture! The whole affect is rich and wonderful.

(I can see the light blue you refer to, too.)

I agree, the light blue is one that I use quite a bit I've noticed. It is similar to the lightest blue in the Maggie Price set. A good water color. There's already a couple of pieces that I know I'm going to have to replace in September or October. It's nice to actually be using supplies. Hate it when I get something and, despite the best intentions, it remains on the shelf, unused . . .

One of the things i really love about the F-Cs is that super-saturated color. Those are the colors I tend to use. The range is enough to get me by while I slowly build my palette with softer brands.

I agree, JPQ, out of all my pastels, I like the F-C greens the best so far. They are by far the brightest and most suitable to what I do.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast
Middle of NC

Hails from United States

I think the FC polychromos have a creamy texture as opposed to a chalky one like nupastel or even creatacolor. Even though they are a hard (or semi-hard) pastel, they go on really smooth. I don't have a set of them just a few hand picked ones. I love one of the dark greens and the darker purple is beautiful as well. nd they are great for blending or "feathering" as Albert Handell says I hope I spelled his name right! I was all set to buy the 120 set but opted for the Dianne Townsend thinline plein aire set instead. I really wanted to try out her pastels and this is one way to do it. I already know i will like them. And they are are supposed to be used more as a drawing tool if I understand right. Of course you can use them anyway you want too. They are similar to the terrage's that she makes in formula just thinner and easier to make lines with. i thought between those and the 75 1/2 stick set from Schmincke that that would be a great plein aire kit right there. We shall see and sometime in the future i may end up buying the full set of polychormos. The way i paint i find that I don't use the ones I have very much anyway. I tend to use softer ones right away and try hard to use a softer touch.

Sara
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

at least coloured pencils they look to my taste most natural.