WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2002, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Blue Ridge Mountains of virginia

Hails from United States
children's art

This is an illustration for a book idea for children , would like to hear feedback on rather or not this style is appropriate
thanks!
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2002, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
British Columbia, Canada

Hails from Canada
I've certainly seen illustrations like this in the books I read to my kids. I think it would work well with something like a folk-fairytale, or a similar type of story.
Check out the books by Tomi de Paola, his work is a bit like to what you're doing there.

amo
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2002, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Thanks

Yes, I love tomi's work, only one of him though,I do appreciate the comparison.
I find that I will do sketches for book ideas and then go on to different styles and characters. I wonder if publishers want to see consistency or diversity, anyone know?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2002, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
British Columbia, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Aqua Artist
Yes, I love tomi's work, only one of him though,I do appreciate the comparison.

I've seen others that are actually more like your work than his is, but I can't think of names, or even book titles. Tomi's just one who's readily available!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2002, 07:47 PM
Indianapolis

Hails from United States
Your illustration looks good. As someone who has read many children's books I agree that this style is fine. I like lots of color in children's stories and my kids gravitate towards the more colorful books on the shelves. I have been reading quite a lot about illustrating for children's books lately and on the diversity versus consistency question it can go both ways. Diversity is generally good unless a potential publisher only gets to see one type and discards it as not what he is looking for without checking out what else you can do. I hear setting up a web site is one way to counter this. I say do all the styles you like to work in! I didn't see enough good about only having one style to warrant limiting yourself. But since I haven't gotten published yet since I am just starting my first project for a children's book you might do better to get advice from someone who has real working knowledge besides book knowledge. I hear you aren't a real writer or illustrator until you get some rejection letters! Redhawk
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2002, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Thanks

Thanks for your feedback, Here is another style, an illustration that I started today and obviously unfinished. Let me know what you think. I think the web site showcasing illustrative work is a good idea. I do have a web site , but it is for my regular art. Perhaps I could add a page for my illustrations.
Thanks for the good advice!
Attached Images

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2002, 10:33 PM
Enthusiast
New Jersey

Hi Aqua.

I like both of the styles that you have posted. The last one is particularly descriptive. She looks like she has a story to tell.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2002, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Smile thanks

Thanks for your feedback. I am brand new at working with photoshop. Here is the work above , a bit more finished. let me know what ya think.
Attached Images

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2002, 12:01 AM
Enthusiast
New Jersey

Hi Aqua

Nice job working with Photoshop. I thought you had been using wc or markers in the first one. Now that I've gone back to check, I can see.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2002, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Thanks

Hey, Yes the indian sketch is pen and watercolor and the other is photoshop. I thought photo shop would be quicker, but since I am a newbie it took me much longer.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2002, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
another

Here is one that is watercolor and photoshop. I know that publishers look for characters that are 'doing something' and mine are pretty stagnant. Need to incorporate some action into my illustrations. I know that I have much to learn before submitting anything.
Attached Images

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2002, 01:24 PM
Enthusiast
New Jersey

Hi Aqua

I think you have got the look for illustration down. Remember this is coming from someone still trying to get there herself!!:-) But it is appealing on its own.

You know, if you already have a small body of similar work, why not start submitting already? Artist's & Graphic Designer's Market resource book lists tons of places to submit a variety of artwork, the kinds of things they are looking for and their working terms. The 2003 version is already out, runs about $25. I am sure that Shari W thinks it is a valuable resource. I have used it to submit my portfolio. But because of the long turn around time (sometimes months) and mailing costs (usually around $8 for sending and return postage), I have not submitted to alot of companies. I've had some nibbles that way, but have decided that a promo card would be less costly and I can reach more companies. Will save sending my portfolio to those who show an interest. Thinking about including a SAS postcard along with the card just to save them a step in responding.

Remember, nothing ventured, nothing gained!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2002, 02:03 PM
Indianapolis

Hails from United States
Aqua,
I like the little girl in green even more though personally your indian woman is my favorite.
Jangogh ,
I like the SAS idea very much since the easier you make it for people the better. After all we are all a little lazy by nature and then there are the procrastinators (that's me) who say "As soon as I finish _____ (fill in the blank) I will get to it."
Between this thread and the other Children's Illustrating thread I am very curious to try out Photo Shop. Now if I can just get my husband to bring my scanner home from his office.Grrrrrr. I would like to try posting some of my own things for critique since so far I am all talk and no show!
Redhawk
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
yes Redhawk we would love to see your work. If you have a digital camera, you can bypass the scanner...
This has been a fun thread, I hope it continues.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2002, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Here is an illustration that I have been working on today. I think I may have the outline too thick. any comments or suggestions from photo shop wizrds (or beginners)would be appreciated. I have Adobe illustration that I haven't attempted, has anyone out there had experience with this program and do you find that it can be learned by playing around or do I need a class? Thanks!!
Attached Images