WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2010, 04:25 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States
Re: Project Discussion: Encaustics 2010

Good texture study! I like it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordelon
I find encaustic painting to be very relaxing. SBB
I agree entirely and I believe that this has to do with the combination of the warmth and the smells. Heavenly! Mesmerizing. Spellbinding. Therapeutic, even. I totally lose track of time.

Jan
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2010, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Elmore, Victoria

Hails from Australia

Magical! Love this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio-1-F
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2010, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Elmore, Victoria

Hails from Australia

I've been away from WC for too long! I have been enjoying browsing and following a few forums and stumbled across this one in the projects area. I had no idea what Encaustics was until today, and I'm mesmerised. I love the fluid, abstract nature of the medium.

Can anyone offer some advice to me, as I'd like to have a go at this. What are the basic tools, and is it expensive to do?

Wow, I'm amazed!
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflyy
I've been away from WC for too long! I have been enjoying browsing and following a few forums and stumbled across this one in the projects area. I had no idea what Encaustics was until today, and I'm mesmerised. I love the fluid, abstract nature of the medium.

Can anyone offer some advice to me, as I'd like to have a go at this. What are the basic tools, and is it expensive to do?

Wow, I'm amazed!
Honnie, thanks for the kind words on that chain piece. It is sitting right in front of me at this very moment. It's my fav.

Here are some links to info on the traditional encaustic technique:
-- What is encaustic painting?
-- Encaustics Forum / Art Materials Information and Education Network

I recommend these two good intro vids:
-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UFAgD-oqlc
-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LU_u...eature=related

I also very strongly recommend this book. Outstanding! Lissa Rankin's Encaustic Art: The Complete Guide to Creating Fine Art with Wax

As for basic tools, if you are a millionaire, Blick has a "Starter Kit" just for you!
-- Rather than the steel slab + hot plate gizmo in that kit, I recommend that you go and buy a 20 dollar electric griddle at the hardware store. Or scour yard sales for one. Just make sure it has a temp dial on it, not just off+on.
-- Rather than the heat gun in that kit, I recommend that you use a butane torch. (I adore my Iwatani torch. It's MUCH better than the heat gun I was struggling with. And I can get the butane cans at the hardware store on the corner. Each can lasts quite long, however.)
-- Rather than the fancy rectangular tins in that kit, I recommend you use old cat food or tuna cans. (I have my clear medium in a bigger, separate crock pot and my colors in the cans on the griddle. My studio set-up is here, before I switched from the heat gun to the torch.)
-- Use regular 1" paint brushes from the hardware store or these good (cheap!) hake brushes from Utrecht.
-- For medium and paints, I recommend R&F materials. Very good quality. Or you can mix your own colors using R&F medium and dry pigments or oil pigment sticks or oil paint. Easy!
-- For your supports, look around for planks of 1/4" or 1/2" plywood. Any porous wood will do. Porous so the wax can soak in and make a good bond. (Encaustic gesso is a different formula than regular artists' gesso and is expensive. I use plain Baltic birch wood panels. No primer necessary!)

To see more encaustic artists' work, check out the links on this page on my blog here.

Lastly and most importantly, I recommend that you take a workshop or two. There is nothing whatsoever as useful as actually watching someone do this stuff. And being able to ask your instructor questions. Right on the spot. There are some very good DVDs, but they don't answer when I shout out questions!

Let me know if I can provide any more advice. Happy to!

Also, a reminder: don't get this traditional encaustic technique confused with the new fad (huge right now in the UK) of colored wax on paper with little travel irons. There is a profound difference between the traditional technique and this new faddy one.

Jan

Last edited by Studio-1-F : 10-22-2010 at 04:09 PM.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Elmore, Victoria

Hails from Australia

Thanks for putting all the time into that reply of yours Jan! I've checked out all the links you have recommended and I feel a LOT more informed about the technique. Good news is, I do some relief printing, so I have a hot plate and a heat gun (at least it will do until I decide to get into this in a big way) and the rest, well... what can I say - I'm off to my local art store today to see if they stock encaustic paint...

Thanks again, it's appreciated!
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Couple of new pieces from last weekend. Both are 10" x 10" on Baltic birch panels.

Any and ALL comments, suggestions, critique, pointers, and so forth are MOST welcomed.

(My encaustic gallery is here.)

Jan

++++++++++++++

#67   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2010, 01:06 AM
Amesville, Ohio

Hails from United States

those are both really neat 1F. I especially like the 2nd one though, it has very interesting effect.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2010, 07:32 AM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States

I have finally been able to get back to my encaustics after being busy with other things. I bought birch boards from Blick and found them to be so much better than the plywood I was working on. Also, I bought a torch and prefer it to the heat gun. I have been watching videos about encaustics on youtube and some of them are helpful (some not). A few of the videos show the shellac burning technique and it looks interesting. Has anyone tried that?

Jan, I looked at your gallery and you have some great stuff! Hopefully, I will be able to post some of my finished work soon.

Sandra
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Maryland

Hails from United States

Sandra, I am looking forward to seeing your new work! (Stop all that Christmas shopping, young lady, and get to work! ) Glad you are enjoying the torch. Much better. And thanks for the kind words about my gallery. I have about a half dozen new ideas in my head that I need to get to, before they evaporate.

RE: the YouTube vids --- Can you post links to the ones that you found especially instructive, so as to save all the rest of us the bother of clicking on the not-helpful ones? I'd love to see your list and your short reviews of the good ones.

Thank you, PaulsArt for your compliments too. The second one is gouged nearly down to the wood, partly filled in with medium, then gouged again. Fun stuff.

Question: Who has tried stencils? The DVD by Cari Hernandez, entitled WAX Twist: advanced encaustic techniques, has a section on using stencils. I'd love to see some examples of work using stencil techniques. Anyone?

Jan

Last edited by Studio-1-F : 12-01-2010 at 09:30 AM.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Amesville, Ohio

Hails from United States

Thanks for the explanation of the technique 1F. The image reminds me of ice, or water that ran across ice and froze. I really like the affect a lot.

Hey Sandra (Bordelon),

This one is made using shellac burns. You do have to be careful with it because the flames are mostly invisible, and if you put too much shellac on the surface it can get kind of hariy. Definitely if you try it make sure to do the burn outside, and in a flat area where you won't have to lean over the burning painting. I call this one Pre-D1, it's on a 12x12 cradled Ampersand panel. You can put an all over coat of shellac on and burn the whole thing at once, or put it on small areas and burn them at separate times. So you can burn parts and leave other parts for other techniques. I often blow the flames out before it expires naturally. Also if you try it make sure not to get a bunch of shellac on your hands before you light it. The flames spread very easily and that could be bad. The solvent in shellac is alcohol so it lights fast and burns fast. I hope that helps.

#71   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2010, 07:09 AM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States

Paul - I love it! Encaustic is not for the faint of heart. Fortunately I have a good place to have a studio -
in my basement next to the garage door and I can take the
shellac outside.

Do you have a web site?

Sandra
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2010, 07:44 AM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States

Jan asked me for some encaustic sites on YouTube. There are thousands and I do not have time to look through all of them, but I have a few recommendations. If you put in "encaustic painting" in the search box, you will find videos by several people/companies. On this first page, I would recommend Gilda Snowden and Jan Blencowe. I did not really care for any videos by "expert village" as they demonstrate a type of encaustic I am not interested in (mostly done by rubbing the brick of color onto the small iron and making marks on the board). I will give some more recommendations later today. There is one woman who has a great site, but I couldn't find it and (of course) I
can't remember her name (hey! I pushing 70).

I do remember that Enkausticos and Blickvideos are good.

Sandra
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Amesville, Ohio

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordelon
Paul - I love it! Encaustic is not for the faint of heart. Fortunately I have a good place to have a studio -
in my basement next to the garage door and I can take the
shellac outside.

Do you have a web site?

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

My web site is http://www.ptfarley.com Thanks, I am glad you wuv it! I got to admit I like this one a lot too. This piece is going to be in an auction to support our local art centric gallery on Saturday. So I will hopefully be selling it there.

http://www.artdc.com

I found this small Bernzomatic torch at a hardware store, it works really well for doing encaustics. It is small and light enough to use easily, and has a small enough flame to heat smaller areas. You have to buy butane refills for it, but those are easy to find, usually available at the same stores that sells the torches. You can get it as a kit with interchangeable tips also, which can be very handy and are worth getting. I think it was around $30 bucks for the kit. Butane refills are a couple bucks for a large can.

Bernozmatic
ST2200 Trigger-Start Micro Torch (ST2200T)

http://www.bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS/...3/Default.aspx

I highly recommend this torch. It burns things real hot!
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
new mexico usa

all 7.5" x 9.5"

on board

devil's garden

to aheedli

grand canyon
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Amesville, Ohio

Hails from United States

Ya got some interesting paintings there! I hate to say I like the Devil's Playground best (first one), although that is probably bad to say! Devil's playground and all ya know. :-)

I think I like To Aheedli 2nd best. It looks like a face to me, not sure if that is supposed to be that way or not.

I am curious what your technique is. Are you painting directly on the surface with brushes? I imagine so, it's just I have I had time doing that so far myself. It' something I want to work on though and get better at. The wax freezes so fast that I can't blend much. I am thinking of working with my surface on a hotplate to allow more blending etc. I used to do that with oil pastels on paper, and it worked pretty well.