WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Veteran Member

Question for Wallis paper users

After using Wallis Pro paper for a while now, I am thinking of investing in some of her Museum grade paper. Can you tell me about the differences in these two and why you like one or the other or both? I already know that the Museum grade is supposed to last longer, but I am asking about texture and quality differences if there are any. I am using Wallis specifically for under painting with watercolors and the airbrush paint Kitty recommends before applying the pastels. I have noticed that Dakota Pastels sells the Wallis in board form and I would like to try that also in the Museum grade and would greatly appreciate any input on your experiences with it. Thanks all!
Life is short, back AWAY from the computer, get off yer butt and go PAINT!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2009, 03:07 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Question for Wallis paper users

I first tried the Wallis Pro in white and then got some Wallis Museum in a pad. It seems to have the same texture exactly. Some people have posted that Wallis changed its formula a while back, couple of years ago, and old Wallis may be different.

Museum seemed worth the extra money to me because I could wash off bad paintings if I ruined a piece of it. They handle the same but the Museum stands up to more wet effects and more abuse.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2009, 08:20 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Hi Drusilla, The one and only pad of Wallis Museum that I've ever ordered must have been a lemon. It has a much more pronounced texture than the Pro that I usually use and seems much toothier. I haven't given up on it - just need to save it for a painting where I really feel like piling on the pastel. I have much better luck mounting my Pro to museum board so that I can use any kind of wet underpainting that I want. I've never heard of others having this experience so you shouldn't hesitate to try it.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Bay Area, California

Hails from United States

My experience is that the textures are very close, but the museum grade feels a bit finer to me (slightly less toothy). I've seen this difference across more than a single purchase, so I don't think it's a batch issue.

The main difference is that the museum has a coated back and (I think) an additional coat on the front.

When used unmounted the museum does have less of a tendency to buckle if you tend to work very wet. I've also used both pro and museum on museum board (from dakota), and I don't think the museum offers anything extra that justifies the added cost when mounted.

That's my take for what it's worth.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2009, 05:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I usually use the Pro grade but I don't find the Museum to be that much different. Perhaps slightly smoother, as Timon says. I think it has three coats on the front and a different coating on the back, vice two coats on the Pro and a different backing paper.

I tape my Pro to a firm board all the way around the edge, and use the Createx Pure Pigments on it, not sopping it wet but getting a fair amount of coverage. The pieces in the 12x18" and smaller range flatten out when perfectly dry here in dry-dry-dry New Mexico.

Kitty also supplies directions for stretching the paper by placing tape face up on the back, and then placing a T of tape over that, so that you can tighten and stretch the paper as it dries. It works fine. See post #12 in this thread Kitty posted here years ago:http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...stretch+Wallis

I've never felt the need to use the boards, Drusilla, so let me know how it works for you.

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2009, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you all very much for your replies. I will let you know how the board works. I have a roll of the pro that I am currently using and I got the directions for wetting and stretching with it so have been doing that just to get the curl out and I then after drying flat I have been mounting it to gator board with the grafix double sided sheets for the final under washes and pastels. Sometimes I will just go ahead and do the color under wash before mounting on the gator board, doing the stretching at that time if I know what I am going to do for a specific painting. These are mostly done for plein air work ahead of time so I can have a hard support with glassine attached ready to go. It is a lot of work but I love Wallis and experiment quite a bit with papers to get the end results I want, but I was hopeful that the board(ed) Wallis could spare me a step or two in the preparation stage. Thanks again everyone!
Oh and thanks for the link Deborah, very helpful!

Last edited by adventureartist : 12-28-2009 at 12:55 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast
California Central Coast

Hails from United States

I've found the Museum grade to be a little finer. Mounted, the Pro sometimes comes with a bit of a buckle. This can usually be straightened out when you tape it to your drawing board. I haven't noticed that yet on the mounted Museum. I thinking this is due to the gesso on the back side. They also indicate the front has an extra coat, which may also account for the texture difference.

Additional work can be viewed at Mike's site

Last edited by westcoast_Mike : 12-29-2009 at 11:30 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Mike. I was wondering if that extra gessoing on the back would make a difference. I have ordered some Museum Wallis and am waiting for it's delivery. I have been wittling down a roll of the Pro paper for the last year, mostly using it to make larger paintings or square paintings and have had a time of it experimenting with the water-based underpainting and the taping method Kitty teaches to smooth out the buckling. Mainly due to the largeness of the paper I am attempting to use. I will also be trying the light oil painting underpainting technique that Richard McKinley advocates to see the difference and if I like it more than using water-based underpainting. I used to paint in oils, so am looking forward to incorporating the two, oils and pastels.
I am getting ready for my first show in many years so have been busy getting paintings finished and framed, something I have wanted to do for a long time. Between that and trying new paper methods and family matters that require some traveling and ranching, I don't have much time for internet, but I REALLY do appreciate everyone's input on my occasional questions here on the pastel forum. Thank you!

Last edited by adventureartist : 01-02-2010 at 12:32 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Enthusiast
Middle of NC

Hails from United States

Good luck with your show Drusilla!

Let us know how it goes.

Sara
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast
Fitchburg, WI, USA

Hails from United States

My only experience with the Museum grade Wallis, was when I ordered it by accident once. It seemed to me (IMHO) to be very close to the Pro that I ususally use. I don't think that I'd order it again, for the expense and the Pro seems to be very widely used by so many people. I've not had the buckling problem with either...and mine usually remain unmatted and unframed longer than a person who sells more paintings!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Ha Elsie ...I have paintings in portfolios that have been there since before the 1980's. Most of my recent paintings on Wallis have joined them until I can get to framing the deserving ones. I see them as a record of my life, subjects are what interested me at those times, much of it scientific illustrations, wildlife, portraits and science fiction and fantasy work, and commercial works I did for a living before I settled down to ranch in Arizona. DH had to build a storeroom for all the artwork and frames we have accumulated, not to mention ancestors artwork, which I am framing also to preserve them. I am still cataloging much of it, selling what is not family works and saving the rest. Never a dull moment here. The framing shop/gallery that is doing the show of my work had to twist my arm a bit to get me to do a show, it was not my intention yet, but they insisted since they like my work so much. And so I am showered with blessings! My Dad is bugging me to open a gallery, as if I don't have enough to do. If I hit lottery I am going to open a museum..... Life is grand, Happy New Year to all, may it be a prosperous and happy one for artists everywhere!

Last edited by adventureartist : 01-02-2010 at 12:58 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
east coast

Hails from United States

I have heard that there is not a huge difference between the two. I can't use either, the texture bothers me, I liken it to the sensation of fingernails on a chalk board, the sound and feel of pastels on this paper just makes my blood run cold.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Leicester

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi, this is my first post on WC. I am thinking of trying out the Wallis Pro paper but it doesn't appear to be available in the UK. Can anybody point me in the right direction for obtaining this online? Can you work pastels on it straight away or do you have to underpaint first?
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Martine
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England

Funny you should ask re UK AND your location...because there is a similar paper being marketed from the Leicestershire area...I can't remember his name at the moment...but I'll look in my files and let you know asap. OK...his name is Tim Fisher...I have a sample Fisher400- haven't used it yet, but it feels similar to Wallis...but I haven't done a comparison....I would also like to do a comparison re price of his versus importing from Dick Blick which is how I get my Wallis! Anyway...if you want to see for yourself there is a company selling it here.
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images

Last edited by *Deirdre* : 01-04-2010 at 08:43 AM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Leicester

Hails from United Kingdom

Thank you Deirdre. You have answered my unasked question about Tim Fisher's paper as to whether the Wallis paper is similar. I already use this (and it is absolutely fab) but having spotted positive reports about the Wallis I wondered how similar it was. I have done workshops with Tim and he is a great guy. I will probably stick with using the Fisher 400 if as you say it is similar to the Wallis. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Deirdre*
Funny you should ask re UK AND your location...because there is a similar paper being marketed from the Leicestershire area...I can't remember his name at the moment...but I'll look in my files and let you know asap. OK...his name is Tim Fisher...I have a sample Fisher400- haven't used it yet, but it feels similar to Wallis...but I haven't done a comparison....I would also like to do a comparison re price of his versus importing from Dick Blick which is how I get my Wallis! Anyway...if you want to see for yourself there is a company selling it here.