WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2009, 09:10 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States
Sennelier

Well, as reference to my earlier post about tearing the paper off the sticks, I finally got to sit down and spend about an hour or so doing just that with my x-acto knife. Things went really well with my rembrandts and schminckes, but when I got to the senneliers.....well, talk about CRUMBLE. What a mess, and the set is only a year old. Dissapointed!! Sorry you sennelier lovers, but I will not be buying these again soon.
Derek
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2009, 09:13 AM

Re: Sennelier

Derek:
No strong opinions on Senneliers one way or the other, but their half-stick sets come unwrapped. True, you may not know the number of the color you like, but there may be other ways to overcome that hurdle.
Phil
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Enthusiast
California Central Coast

Hails from United States

I agree that the half sticks do not tend to have this problem. But have you ever seen half sticks in open stock. You're back to the same issue when you go to replace a color.

Additional work can be viewed at Mike's site
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Charming South

Hails from United States

Derek, I'm with you. on the Senneliers. I also tried their half-stick pastels, and some crumbled or were rock-hard, just like the wrapped, full sticks. I now use Schmincke or Great American pastels for my softest softies. I will not be buying Senneliers again ever.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
"The 50"

Hails from Canada

I bought some Senns a little while back.....they were on sale for a dollar a stick..(I know!! hey)....I had heard alot about the crumbling problem but I figured for that price, I'd figure something out.

And yes..when I got home with them, it was crumble city when I pulled off the papers.....my solution = small glass bowl, back of a spoon, grind them back to powder, pour powder onto some plastic wrap, add a little cooled off boiled water(and I mean just a couple drops), with the help of the wrap...reform into sticks, let dry a couple days on some paper towel......tada!!! Easy peasy....Only thing I wish I would have done differently was make them a different shape, like chunky rectangles or something.

Granted...I only had about a dozen sticks, so it wasn't a huge undertaking. The reformed sticks work fine, I've had no probs with them. Don't ask me what their colour codes are though, I never keep labels or charts.

I also wouldn't rush out and buy a set, knowing the work that would be involved to put them to use....but if I do see them for a loonie again, I won't be able to stop myself from pickin' up at least a couple sticks.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Charming South

Hails from United States

Dania, one of these days I will make new sticks from the bad ones, but the exercise should not be part of purchasing pastels. Glad to hear that your remade sticks work well.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Lord of the Arts
Carson Valley

Hails from United States

HI. Just my 2 cents here, interesting subject. I love the senni's--they have colors that are hard to find, and they are so soft you can use them over others for the final touches. I admit, tho, I love all the pastels out there (yes, I have it bad)------but would never sell the senni's short. Like the lady said, for the sticks that fall apart--put them back together! Sorry you had trouble, tho.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2009, 03:36 PM
A Local Legend

Derek and whoever......

you all know how I feel about the 'stupid' papers on pastels and small Senni's are one of the worst but please don't sell Senni short - try the Le Grande large Sennis - if you like to paint large as I do, the Le Grande's are the 'cat's meow'! and the 'stupid' papers come off easier because of the size!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2009, 03:45 PM
San Jose, California

Hails from United States

Hi,
I too have found Senns painful in this regard. I had been desperate to fill in my access to the color sphere, and am on a tight budget. I had been buying a few sticks here and there. A couple of months ago one of those ASWExpress 24 hour/ 20% off sales happened. I found the full set (525) was NOT guarded against the sale (probably a mistake on their part) and I ordered it. Paid a total of $725 US including S&H. This gave me sufficient coverage in one leap.

My policy is to keep sets in order, cut the sticks, moving 1/2 or 1/3 to my 'pallete' boxes arranged by hue/value, and leave the paper on the pieces left behind. When I go hunting back in the source boxes and have to grab the last of a color, I know when to order a replacement (ahead of being totally out of it) as I leave the paper on that portion.

But my God! The operation of carefully cutting the sticks, and pealing part was maddening. A few colors just crumbled away.

With that price, I am not complaining. But from now on I expect to gradually migrate away from the Senns. When I go back to find a color, if it is a 'crumbler' I will look up in Huechroval an equivalent from another source.

Eventually the Senns will have melted away, and I will be painting with a combination of pastels from other companies.

Mark
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2009, 04:51 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Dania: Thanks for the advice....wow interesting how the opinions differ on the Senns.....Hmmmmmm.

Derek
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2009, 04:56 PM
A Local Legend
Severn, MD

Hails from United States

Sennies are beautiful in color range, and I do have a few, but for my money, I'll take GA's over them every time, followed by Schminke. I have yet to go to my boxes and not find a color I need, and I don't worry about keeping labels or numbers or whatever...I don't approach painting with that level of planning on my part, whether that is good or bad, I pick the colors intuitively. I spend a lot of money on these little jewels and I am gonna rip the paper off, and use them straight on, sideways, even upside down, lol...
Everyone approaches their supplies differently, but I have known people to buy beautiful paper, and then store it as they were afraid to use it cause it was soo expensive.
I have heard that Sennie have been revamped not too long ago, to avoid crumbling, but I haven't seen any
Tres
"We derive more benefit from having our faults pointed out by our enemies than from hearing the opinions of friends." (Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519)
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
Randolph, MA

Hails from United States

hmm strange, I haven't experienced any major crumbling with the sennies, even when removing the labels .. mostly just a few crumbs while snapping a piece off after scoring it. But do have issues with them after they have been used a bit and become a little thin, that is when it crumbles really easy (also trying to catch it when it is accidentally dropped, what a mess that made). The sennies I got was brought within the last 2 years so perhaps I got their new formula?

Trying is the first step towards failure. - Homer Simpson, The Simpsons
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2009, 05:25 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

My experience matches WC Lee's. A little bit of crumbling around the break, on some colours. The reason some are hard is that they use rather pure pigment, and do not try to even them out, softness-wise. Some pigments *are* hard, by themselves. Stores may very well still sell the old formula, that was more prone to crumbling than the newer one.

The buttery softness that is somehow still firmish, and the glorious colours are rather special.

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Charming South

Hails from United States

The newer Senneliers have their color number on both ends of the wrapper, and I have problems with them.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2009, 09:45 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Sorry, but I'm not buying the idea that the 'new formula' keeps them from crumbling. It was longer than two years ago, more like 10 years now, and I bought an entire selection of the 'new' ones, with great hopes. Pish tosh! No such thing! They either crumbled away to nothing as I carefully peeled back the paper 1/4" by 1/4" or they were as hard as rock! I thought maybe I could scrub off the outer rime, so I rolled the sticks on sandpaper but the hardness went to the core. Nothing like sanding down to nothing a stick you paid good money for... I was so disgusted I finally chucked those colors. I kept a lot of the pigment from the crumbled sticks but never bothered to remix them as Dania did. I just don't have the patience to deal with materials that don't do what they're supposed to do!!!

Now, I will say that I have a dwindling set of what used to be called 'giant' Sennies, bigger than the La Grandes they sell now, that I always loved. I had no trouble with crumbling. One had a bubble hole in it, but even that didn't break it. If I wanted Sennies, I'd order Grandes. It's always so nice to have big, bold, juicy strokes from a giant stick. (Now I lay down a lot of thick pastel and use one of the PanPastel sponges to move the pigment around, which is very interesting--like painting with a big fat brush, in a way.)

Deborah
Gouache Blog