WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Syracuse, NY

Hails from United States
Question Writing and illustrating my own book- anyone else as crazy as I?

Well, I've done it. I am taking the plunge into writing and illustrating my own story. People tell me that I am crazy, well except for my art mentor, who's urging me on, so yay for that at least.

I have the story all structured in my head; same with the illustrations. I know exactly how I want them... in my head. I have been having the darnedest time translating the images in head my head to figures on the paper.

Finally, I have decided to devote a sketchbook just to the illustration ideas, working them out bit by bit, and having it nearby for when the urge to sketch something out strikes me. as it is I've been doing it on the pages of my crossword puzzles and magazine subscription cards that get torn out!

I'm wondering, does it get any easier making the transition from the ideas locked inside your head into real art on paper? I'm hoping that if I set time aside for it every day that it will get easier.

Here's an example of one of the first sketches. It's watercolor and pen and ink:

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2009, 03:20 AM
Durban, South Africa

Hails from South Africa
Re: Writing and illustrating my own book- anyone else as crazy as I?

Well I think you're incredibly brave. I have no idea what it takes to get to the point of publication but every journey starts with a first step. Also remember this little gem I picked up a while back, it keeps me motivated, "And those who danced were thought insane by those who simply could not hear the music".

You're mouse is the cutest by the way, just keep going girl, you never know where it all might end up.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2009, 07:05 AM
Syracuse, NY

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelgaP
Well I think you're incredibly brave. I have no idea what it takes to get to the point of publication but every journey starts with a first step.

Thanks! The one thing that I hear most often is that publishing houses have their own corral of illustrators which they never ever deviate from. But I think I won't lose anything by not trying. I have a contact in the publishing world already who really likes my artwork; she's been very supportive, so that's a sign of hope.

Quote:
Also remember this little gem I picked up a while back, it keeps me motivated, "And those who danced were thought insane by those who simply could not hear the music".

Oh what a wonderful quote! That's going up on my studio wall.

Quote:
You're mouse is the cutest by the way, just keep going girl, you never know where it all might end up.

Thanks again!

Last edited by babsalaba2 : 05-29-2009 at 07:11 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Boulder, Colorado

Hails from United States

I like the mouse so far
Jeff
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Syracuse, NY

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lafferty
I like the mouse so far
Jeff

Thanks! I've having fun with this project.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2009, 06:02 PM
Reno

Hails from United States

Yeah, i was crazy enough to make my own book . . . It hurt.

It's stupidity that made me decide to make a second, lol.

What you have looks nice, keep it up and keep your chin up.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2009, 09:24 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

I am also a crazy person: I am editing and illustrating the book SERIES that my partner of 27 years is developing. We have been at this for about 2 years now. All illustrations will be pen and ink and inserted in the text by Microsoft Publisher.

What has helped me immensely is to find a passage that seems to cry out for a visual, then cut & paste it onto a Word document, then use that quote to develop a rough sketch. I use the sketches to clarify the text with the author (sometimes I think he meant one thing, but he had visualized something else) I keep it all in order by using the Book, Chapter and Page number as a code to refer to on all sketches and quotes.

It has been a great growth opportunity as I am forced to figure out how to draw many objects I didn't even have a clue about (snakes, 'possums, dragons, medieval castles, dovecotes and so on) and it has drawn us closer. We don't know how we'll get it published yet, but we figure it has a year of work to go yet.

And lastly, I cannot begin to express how useful and supportive and instructional this WC website has been, just when I am totally lost, I do a search and I find something to inspire me.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Syracuse, NY

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve T. Laws
Yeah, i was crazy enough to make my own book . . . It hurt.

It's stupidity that made me decide to make a second, lol.

What you have looks nice, keep it up and keep your chin up.

"Stupid" and "crazy" are sometimes all that I have going for me and what keeps me motivated. lol

Thanks.

Did you get your first book published?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Syracuse, NY

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhs
What has helped me immensely is to find a passage that seems to cry out for a visual, then cut & paste it onto a Word document, then use that quote to develop a rough sketch. I use the sketches to clarify the text with the author (sometimes I think he meant one thing, but he had visualized something else) I keep it all in order by using the Book, Chapter and Page number as a code to refer to on all sketches and quotes.

That's exactly how I started this book! I had a few illustrations in mind and I visualized them like those color plates with a line of text from the story just like you'd see in some of the older books I read growing up. I actually built the beginning of the story around one of those images and then very quickly, new pictures and lines of text just popped into my head.

Quote:
And lastly, I cannot begin to express how useful and supportive and instructional this WC website has been, just when I am totally lost, I do a search and I find something to inspire me.

I love this site for exactly that reason too.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Syracuse, NY

Hails from United States

Quote:
It has been a great growth opportunity as I am forced to figure out how to draw many objects I didn't even have a clue about (snakes, 'possums, dragons, medieval castles, dovecotes and so on) and it has drawn us closer. We don't know how we'll get it published yet, but we figure it has a year of work to go yet.

I agree about the growth. Too often when painting or drawing, we stick to subjects that are familiar and comfortable. Although we can grow as artists by painting the same sorts of scenes or subjects over and over by varying technique, there is nothing that forces growth upon us by painting or drawing something outside of our comfort zone!

Best of luck to you.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2009, 08:39 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

One thing I have discovered is that the WEB can produce TOO MUCH information, for example, I spent about 6 hours one night looking up info on dovecotes and ran into fascinating pictures from a book published in the 1920's in England on the decline and ruination of many of the manors' dovecotes. I know enough about dovecotes to last a lifetime, but on the other hand, the dovecote in the story actually came to play a larger role in the books due to facts i learned while searching for reference photos.....
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2009, 07:56 AM
Syracuse, NY

Hails from United States

Quote:
One thing I have discovered is that the WEB can produce TOO MUCH information...

Oh you've got that right!

I am up to my elbows in info on jaguars. One of my creatures is a made-up animal called a blue jaguar, but I wanted to read up on the big cats. My brain is stuffed full of info. I'm just have to sift through it.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Reno

Hails from United States

It's self published by me and lulu.

It's a solid book. Go see: Odding
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Lelystad, the Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

That must be nice to have your own book published, but I guess it takes some stamina to get it finished. I'm writing/drawing a comic story as I go, it's about one and a half year ago that I started, haven't been doing much for the last half year, but have started to picking it up again. But I can do it just for fun, I don't need to earn money with it. No pressure to finish anything. Therefore it may be more fun to do, but it will take waaaaaaaaaaay longer to eventually get it done. (If ever)
Anyways, here are some of the images (I know it's not English, but I hope you enjoy the pictures even though you may not understand it):

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 PM

Hi all,

I want to be able to write my own book, but I am not a writer. I can illustrate, but cannot put the photos into words. So...I am totally envious of any of you that can. Your are not crazy at all. If you can...do it!