WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Pastels > Oil Pastel Society
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2008, 11:22 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States
Re: Let Us Know If You Are an OPS Member on the OP Channel at WC!

Looking forward to your workshop, Pat! There are no oil pastel classes or workshops around here either. . . the one local one that I signed up for was canceled due to lack of enrollment. I did get to take one at the Art Expo in Pasadena this year, a short two hour workshop.

Bill, some of the articles you are considering sound interesting. Being new to art, I'm interested in EVERY aspect from materials to technique to color.

Oh, I'm a memeber as of this past summer. Its my first art society, too.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Resting in Peace

Hails from United States

Welcome aboard Rainy...hope you enjoy it all.

Pat
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2008, 10:23 PM
A Local Legend
Stevens Point, WI

Hails from United States

Yes, welcome aboard, Rainy, and as you can see from the slow time in getting a reply posted having TWO taskmasters (Pat and Carly) turns out to keep me busy as a bee. Have been spending considerable time researching and requesting samples of various supports for a series of articles on OP painting surfaces and how they interact with various brands of OP. Will be a while before anything appears as it takes time, but we wnat to try and do a variety of things from technical issues like this to demos, artist profiles, etc.

Hopefully over the next year we will make some great progress. We really want to get OPS members to use this forum as a way of increasing communication among members and getting feedback.

So if you have ideas or comments make sure and post them in the Feedback Thread.

Bill
DREAM! LAUGH! LOVE! LIVE! (Various)
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2008, 10:37 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I've got a demo in progress for the Oil Spiel that's more of a how-to, and still need to do the sidebar priming demonstration to finish it. Need to get this done soon, I think the deadline's creeping up on me. But I will get it in soon!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2008, 10:04 AM
A Local Legend
Stevens Point, WI

Hails from United States

You are not alone.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2008, 12:48 AM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Hi Everyone,

I'm a recent addition to WC, and I also just signed up as an associate member of OPS. In fact, I'm quite new to art (other than photography) as of a few months ago and am looking forward to a number of classes I have coming up in the winter quarter. I started out (and am still working on) watercolor, but am trying different media and have been enjoying OP's quite a bit. I'm anxious to learn as much as I can through both WC and OPS.

Looking forward to 'meeting' everyone!

JTMB
John Tubbs
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Resting in Peace

Hails from United States

Welcome, John to the OPS and to WC..... I'll be looking for some of your posts in the OP forum....stop by and let us know what you are up to.

Pat
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2008, 06:26 PM
A Local Legend
Stevens Point, WI

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMB
Hi Everyone,

I'm a recent addition to WC, and I also just signed up as an associate member of OPS. In fact, I'm quite new to art (other than photography) as of a few months ago and am looking forward to a number of classes I have coming up in the winter quarter. I started out (and am still working on) watercolor, but am trying different media and have been enjoying OP's quite a bit. I'm anxious to learn as much as I can through both WC and OPS.

Looking forward to 'meeting' everyone!

JTMB
John Tubbs

Welcome both to the OPS and to WC! and the Oil Pastel Channel! It is great you are interested in a variety of media as they often complement one another.

Just to get you oriented, it might help to take a look at the following thread:

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520302

It provides a one stop source of <IMPORTANT INFO> about the OP Channel (and can be accesses by using that link in my signature line) including overviews of all the subforums and what each is for and where to post what. It also has links to guidelines for posting and critiques and general information articles about OP brands, tools and getting started. There are also so general WC! links in my signature line if you aren't familiar with "getting around" that might help you figure out the organization of the place. It is very large and lots of places to explore.

There are many people in the OP Channel that are relatively new to art. In fact, while I have been interested and studied from books for many years, it really was not until I retired last January I became active here and began to have time to actually "do" what I had been reading about.

The OP Channel is full of GREAT people that run the gamut from just beginning to professional artists, virtually all willing to help novice or experienced artist alike.

Have questions, start a thread in the OP Talk forum and ask. Pat, I or someone else will probably be by relatively soon with a reply. In this channel really almost all the active users really act as Guides whether they are officially or not. We offer suggestions of alternative ways of doing things and sometimes different people will give you alternate viewpoints, but it gives you options to think about!

There is a weekly thread in the OP Talk Forum called the Oil Gusher that is really a topicless thread where we go just to talk about just about anything having to do with art or just what's going on in our lives. Sort of like an electronic version of Pat's Den!

Your interest in watercolor actually goes quite well with OP since some artists use watercolor underpaintings for their OP works and you might want to explore some of the various watersoluble "Wax" OP's such as Caran d'Ache NeoColor II or Cretacolor Aquastic which can be used to produce watercolor like effects.

Explore the Talk and Studio forums and you will find many topics relating to these and traditional OP as well as Oilbar and Oil Sticks which are similar to Oil Paint but with beeswax added to stiffen it into something like an Oil Pastel. However, Oil Pastels (OP) are typically made with mineral oil and don't completely oxidize and "dry" like Oil Sticks (OS) which are made with the more traditional Linseed oil that oxidizes and forms the "dry" surface of oil paintings.

Anyway, that's probably more than you wanted to know right now, but just drop in, post some of your OP (and the forum considers Oil Sticks and Watersoluble "OP" as fine to post as well as tradition OP). Take part in demos, classrooms, monthly challenges, weekly sketch threads, and more.

Hope to see a lot of you around the Forume.

Bill
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Canterbury, New Zealand

Hello all, I have just joined as an Associate member of the OPS.. I got the official welcome today and am very happy to be joining this community.

Rebecca W
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Resting in Peace

Hails from United States

Welcome, Rebecca and we are happy to have you on board.

Pat
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2009, 10:23 AM
A Local Legend
Stevens Point, WI

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by redclare
Hello all, I have just joined as an Associate member of the OPS.. I got the official welcome today and am very happy to be joining this community.

Rebecca W

And this community is elated to have you join us, Rebecca! Glad you got the official "okey dokey" as Col. Potter used to say on MASH.

Bill
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2009, 07:46 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Welcome John and Rebecca! This is great. I love it that the OPS is growing.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan

HEY, HI to OPS people on Wet Canvas... Shelley Schoenherr here.

I must say YES I found your thread here, Bill, but I have to admit that for my old brain, Wet Canvas is horrific challange. So many options, so many ins and outs, so confusing. Isn't there an easier way to communicate? Not being sarcastic. Being serious. Does anyone ELSE find WC a lot like ambling aimlessly thru Wonderland with Alice. YEEEEKS.... Glad us oil pastelists can have a home however, and if everyone thinks it should be at Wet Canvas, then I guess I am destined to try to learn my way around.

Again~ HI to everyone! Shelley Schoenherr www.SGSart.com

Last edited by SGSart : 02-19-2009 at 03:54 PM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Resting in Peace

Hails from United States

Hey, Shelley, glad to see you here. Really not to hard to navigate after you've done it a few times. We have a talk forum and a posting forum, plus threads archived in the library.

Stop by again and even post some of your new work.

Pat
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2009, 10:37 PM
A Local Legend
Stevens Point, WI

Hails from United States

Hi, Shelley! Glad you found it!

Welcome to the Oil Pastel (OP) Channel.

Just to help you get oriented to this place, click on the link in my signature line called <IMPORTANT INFO> and it will take you to a thread that contains links and overviews of all the subforums in this Channel and what is in each one. There are also links to basic OP info (which Pat has pointed you to) and guidelines about posting, critiques, etc.

The following link contains an annotated list of links by topic discussed for recent threads that deal with issues commonly asked by people starting out in OP. Looking through those with give you some additional insight into materials, techniques and various issues dealing with OP:

<Index Thread>

That should save you some time searching around.

This place is great because many of us are also relatively new and there are people from beginners like you to professionals and everyone tries to help everyone else.

If you have any questions, just start a thread in the OP Talk forum and ask away. In the OP Talk forum is a weekly thread called the Oil Gusher which is a "no topic" thread where people can just say hi and catch up on what going on or just meet folks.

So if there is any way we can help, we will do our best to help you out.

Look forward to seeing your work around the forum!!

Welcome aboard!

Bill