WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2002, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Lynchburg, Virginia

Hails from United States
This thread has offered some very interesting and informative tips. I tend to stand on the more "fine art" end of the subject and believe there is a place for all styles. Personally I would not want my daughter to only see "cartoony" books, nor would I only want her to see "fine art" styles in the books she reads. Illustrating children's books is a dream of mine, although it often seems unapproachable as I am so busy all the time I just don't have time to do samples. Here is a several years old sample of mine. Thanks for looking!
Attached Images

#47   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2002, 09:13 PM
Enthusiast
New Jersey

Interesting to see all the different styles.
Attached Images

#48   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2002, 11:21 PM
Sierra Foothills California

Hails from United States
Smile What a treat to see all the great art!

Children's book illustration is rich with all styles of art from realistic, fine art, whimsical, cartoon, and anywhere in between or out there!

I would be interested to hear if any of you work full-time, part-time or "when you get a chance" on your illustrations. For myself, I pretty much work full-time on book assignments, and when I'm in between projects, I create new ideas to market and experiment with new art techniques and media. I am also a Mom to a wonderful six year old who is learning how to read. So I get lots of children's book research done!

Cheers!
Shari
Attached Images

#49   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2002, 11:25 PM

Hails from United States
OOOOPs!!!!

Sorry all, for the LARGE ART posting. I forgot to size down the pic before I hit the "submit reply" button. Please forgive............
Shari
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2002, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Lynchburg, Virginia

Hails from United States
Another, and probably the last sample I can offer.
Attached Images

#51   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2002, 10:04 AM

Hails from United States
Hi Joan,

Your illustrations are lovely. What medium are you using? Are you working from photos? I'd love to see some of your sketches from life. Are you currently selling your work for illustration purposes or gallery exhibits?

Shari
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2002, 10:05 AM

Hails from United States
I reread your name. Sorry, I meant Jon, not Joan.

Shari
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2002, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Lynchburg, Virginia

Hails from United States
Not a problem, the first time that happened was in 5th grade in the mid '60's, so I have heard it most of my life. I used watercolor on these and they are not from life. I took the photos on various excursions with my child and she is one of the models in each painting. I try to combine my reference gathering time with excursions with her, a now very busy and speedy 9 year old. She doesn't stand still long enough to draw from life. I would prefer to do that, but with the busy state of my life it just isn't workable right now. These are both pieces I sort of forced into my schedule because I was dying to do some painting, and they are currently hanging in our home so no, I didn't produce these for gallery or illustration purposes, although in each I was trying to represent a moment of fun she had and let it represent the fun of childhood. I'm still a bit of a child myself and love to watch her and other kids at play. I'm jealous of their fun!
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2002, 03:59 PM
Conway, Arkansas

Hails from United States
Shari Warren,

I appreciate your comments and advice on my work. I am putting together a brochure to send to publishers. What information should be included on the submission? Also, would you be willing to give me some thoughts on the brochure before I have them printed? Thanks for your input.

Cision
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2002, 07:15 PM

Hails from United States
Cision,

For a mailer, I have found that a large size postcard works best. (check out www.modernpostcard.com). This way, the art director can immediately see your art without having to open an envelope, and if they like it, they will post it on their wall for future assignments.
Also, be sure to put your name, phone no., email, and website so they can see more of your work.

I would be more than happy to review your piece. You can email me directly @ [email protected].

Shari
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2002, 02:56 AM
Conway, Arkansas

Hails from United States
Shari (If I may),

I am constructing the brochure so that it is a self mailer, with the postage and everything on it. I hope to finish it soon, he said with bloodshot eyes. I chose a, 8.5"X11" tri-fold brochure. It worked out to be less expensive than a full color 6"X9" jumbo postcard, go figure.

Your advice and work has been both informative and inspiring. I was wondering if you might explain the steps that are taken to complete a project for book publishers.

Specifically:
What takes place in the initial consultation?

With respect to agreements, are there standard industry contracts, or is the illustrator expected to offer the terms and contract?

Do you bid the job, or are you offered a price or a percentage?

At what point in the course of the project are you paid?

Do you offer sketches to start? How much artistic liberty do you have?

These are things that all of the books I have been through seem to skip. I think it would be very interesting, if you walked us through a project with respect to the interaction with the publisher.

Thanks
Cision
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2002, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Blue Ridge Mountains of virginia

Hails from United States
Great!!

I love your childrens art!!
I am also wanting to illustrate for childrens books and have put some of your links on my desktop. Thank you for the resources!

I just love wet canvas and it's generous spirit!!

I spent 4 hours today just taking in this site!
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2002, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Blue Ridge Mountains of virginia

Hails from United States
book illustration

Please let me know what you think of this illustration. It is a character that I am working on for a book idea on being cool.
Attached Images

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2002, 08:55 PM
A Local Legend
NC

Hails from United States
http://www.glassgems.net/scribble/ao...2/aotm9-02.htm

I am currently being featured on this national website. I feel that some of my art would be appropriate for cards, etc. I would like your input as to what you think?
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2002, 07:34 PM

Hails from United States
Overview: Book Project Process

Once an art buyer/art director/designer has decided that they want to use you for a book project, they will contact you by phone or email. They will discuss the project, schedule and budget with you to see if you are interested. If you are, a contract will be drawn up. They then will send you a package with layouts and a muanuscript so that you can begin your sketches. I usually send my first sketch of a scene with the main character (sometimes a number of different versions of the main character) to get their input before I continue with the rest of the book. After sending the sketches, they get reviewed within a week or two. The sketches are then sent back to you with comments. You then paint your final art, incorporating the comments and then deliver. Sometimes, there might be revisions to the final art, but not always. Send your invoice for the project and move on to the next assignment!

By the way, depending on the length of the book, this process can take from 1 month to 2 or more.
Attached Images