WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Do you use an air purifier, gloves or mask when painting with pastels?
I don't use any of these items. 124 67.76%
I wear gloves. 25 13.66%
I wear a mask. 6 3.28%
I use an airpurifier. 13 7.10%
I use an airpurifier and gloves. 5 2.73%
I use a mask and gloves. 5 2.73%
I use an air purifier, gloves and a mask. 5 2.73%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2007, 01:11 PM

Hails from United States
Do you use an air purifier, gloves or mask when painting with pastels?

I've been using a small Hamilton Beach True Air Purifier that I purchased for $39.99. It's located right under my French easel.

Finger cots are great for blending. Winsor & Newton Art Guard Barrier Cream is even better. Gloves are too cumbersome if I'm blending with my finger tips. They tend to smear pastel in places that I didn't want to touch. But if I'm not blending with my fingers, they serve the purpose of keeping my hands nice and clean.

Sometimes I wear a mask, if I remember to put it on.

Last edited by CLS Portrait Artist : 04-04-2007 at 01:25 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Immortalized
Salt Lake City, UTAH

Hails from United States
Re: Do you use an air purifier, gloves or mask when painting with pastels?

I use an air purifier that I purchased for about $100.00. I keep it across the room, and it works great. Gloves are much too cumbersome for me as well. I don't wear a mask, because it fogs up my glasses.
Midge
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Southern California

Hails from United States

I wear a medical latex glove on my right (drawing) hand. I buy it at Walgreen's (3 boxes of 100 for $10) in a size that's small enough to fit snugly on my fingers so there is no excess, so it's just like using my fingers without the dirt and drying of my skin. I have Gloves in a Bottle, too, but haven't used it as "gloves." As a lotion, it's OUTSTANDING ! BTW, if you call them (check their website for their phone number) they can tell you who in you area carries the product. I can get it at one of our Walgreen's stores at a much lower price than over the net.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 12:20 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
homestead in south dakota

Hails from United States

i use an air purifier right under my easel. some days i don't, (forgetful!) and notice a big diff. in the way my eyes/nose feel. at times i use finger cots but that isn't as much help as the air machine. i got mine at mendards on clearance for around $50 or so..

A rich person is not one who has the most, but is one who needs the least.
--- "Interview with God" (author unknown)

]
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 08:23 PM

For you that use them, do you find pastel dust in your air purifiers and if so how far away are they from where you work? I do wonder how far the dust migrates. I am somewhat concerned about long term health effects of working with both pastel and also paint that I use. I tape my pastel paper to a piece of thin hardboard and then set it on my easel with "baby wipes" below the hardboard, to catch pastel dust as it falls. I also lean the top of my easel just slightly towards me, so that the dust will fall onto the damp wipes and I am not blowing it around any. This has worked pretty well for me.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2007, 09:08 PM

Hails from United States

John,

I just checked the filter in my air purifier and it has some dust on it but not that much. It is located right below my
French easel.

I do have a plastic tray I use beneath my painting to catch pastel dust and it does a great job of snagging most of it. My plastic tray is a "Spacemaker" pencil box with a lid that I purchased at Office Max for about a dollar.

After every painting session, I pull out my Dirt Devil and vacuum out the tray. I never blow pastel off my painting and I think that helps prevent dust from floating all over the place.

Hope this helps you!

Cindy
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2007, 09:37 AM

Thank you for your reply to my question on air purifers. I have mild asthma so have some concern about pastel dust because of it.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member
On a ranch in Texas-Finally

Hails from United States

I use Fresh Air by Ecoquest. Works wonders and has hepa filter addition. $750. I notice a huge difference if I don't use it.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas City

Hails from United States

Hi! I checked "I don't use any..." but I do have a HEPA filter fan that I use on occassion with most any medium for particular circumstances. I've always been careful to not blow on my pastel paintings or to do other things that get the pastel dust really floating about!

I use a lovely skin moisturizer---but then all over, not only on my hands. But more often on my hands, of course---and that is nice. Can't bear gloves. If I forget the moisturizer---and have not used pastels to paint with for months---my hands can look kinda awful. Pastel painting does not seem to be the determinator of how my hands look!

I think it's really important to pay attention to our pastel painting habits---cuz some bad habits can really get the pastel dust flying---and I don't want that! If it's really a dry atmosphere, a humidifyer is always nice---like in Winter! At least a few good sprays of water into the air near the pastel easel! Really, really hard for dust to float around in more humid air! (I spray before framing with glass, too! Ya know those tiny little specks that come from nowhere and show up under the glass right after....! They are rarer when the air is humid around the framing space!!!) :-)

Do whatever ends up making you feel the most comfortable! Best wishes!!! Donna ;-}

• Visit the Writings page for Studio Tips and other useful Information
I celebrate the beauty around us with Color and Light! Donna Aldridge
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2007, 09:04 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Washington state

Hails from United States

I agree with Donna A - don't use any of those items, but if ever I find a time I need a filter, a very good one was demonstrated at the convention and I'll consider getting it. I hate gloves, use only Gloves in a Bottle - like Dot, on more than just my hands. I haven't had a problem with cracked dry skin since using that lotion. Perhaps I'm fortunate I live in a very moist atmosphere for as Donna stated, particles tend not to float around very much when the air is damp. Also like her, I don't blow on the work in progress, and I take it outside to bang off any loose pastel. However, I do realize there are people who have need of more protection than I do. Everyone should do whatever they feel comfortable with when working with any art materials - not just pastels.

Peggy
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Idaho

Hails from United States

Although I checked that I use gloves, I only use them about half of the time on my right hand. I hope to try the finger cots and the gloves in a bottle My nails and hands stay very dry.

I keep a little bowl of water nearby at all times to dip my fingers in and then dry them on a towel. Also use a fake fur rug under my work area that catches dust and every couple of weeks, I wash and dry it. Right around the divider to my work area I have a black baby grand piano that I watch for pastel dust and I really can't tell it from the regular dust.

My Website -http://heirloomsbyharriett.blogspot.com
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Kansas City, Missouri

Hails from United States

Hi:

I also checked the first option. I use finger cots occassionally, and 'Gloves in a Bottle' or similar barrier cream - I also found the 'Gloves' at a local Walgreens and it was a lot lower in price than at a place like Jerry's or at a local art supply store.

I try not do rouse any dust by resisting the urge to blow over an image surface, and I try to collect and save the loose pastel dust for making neutral reconstituted pastels. I'm trying to work out my art setup, and when I get a dedicated studio space, I will try to get a good dust and ventilation system. I'm sort of planning to have squatter's rights to a corner or more of my hubbie's shop (to be made) space because I'm sure that will have a saw dust collection system, so that should be good to capture any extra pastel dust that is trying to escape.

art blog www.artistpw.blogspot.com

Last edited by artist_pw : 03-05-2008 at 05:24 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Calgary, Alberta

Hails from Canada

When working with my sticks I wear a mask and wear invisible gloves. My air purifier has commited suicide, I need a new one.

Randi-Lee
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2008, 09:55 AM
A WC! Legend
Harstad, Norway

Hails from Norway

Don't use anything either - except from invicible gloves (probably the same as your gloves in a bottle?). The skin on my hands is starting to react to the dust, sometimes I look like I've been in a fist fight if I don't protect them - skins cracking up! Invicible gloves work perfectly though, no problems anymore.

And - no water around the La Carte!! I probably should have some sort of air purifyier, but even the thought of water around the La Carte scares me,lol!
Reading Donnas post gave me chills - spraying water around the easel...

Merethe

My Website My blog
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Enthusiast
Carson City

Hails from United States

I don't use anything, occasionally fingercots.

I place an old picnic plastic tablecloth, plastic facing down, white cottony backing facing up, to catch any loose dust in the vicinity. I do this in my dining area, with tile flooring, and dismantle it daily when painting. I wet mop the area. I wouldn't trust vacuums...even with strong filters. Some of this dust could be very of very fine particulate, and as the vacuums have an exhaust, I feel some of that dust escapes and is BLOWN all over the house. I have made the mistake of vacuuming through sunbeams from the window, and see tons of dust coming out the exhaust. I take the table cloth outside and whip it out on a windy day.

Carol