WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2002, 11:35 AM
A WC! Legend
Montana

Hails from United States
thanks for sending a picture----very nice! I love all the beads & goodies dangling, so three books in that baby, huh? You really DO like bookbinding! So you did get into the alteredbooks list. I have never done an AB RR with them since I don't personally know them or their work and it gets expensive mailing a book every month. I was asked by some fellow artists who I know, that's the only reason I did it. I get the list in digest, 25 posts all rolled into one & read at my leisure but sometimes delete. The best info is in the files, I think there is one section that lists ALL
the things members have thought of to art these book up.

Paste Paper is a way to transform papers to decorative ones to use on the covers of your books or in other art, similar to marbelized paper only this technique is easy. Perhaps I will email you privately w/direction since this post is getting lengthy.

Leaflin, glad you came in to take a look---there's always something new to draw me in a different direction!!

~Be COURAGEOUS, It's one of the few places left still uncrowded~

~Life is not measured by it's length BUT by it's depth~
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2002, 01:38 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations
Thanks, Cathleen; I have access to so many beautiful handmade papers in Los Angeles that I haven't really considered making my own, but I'm intrigued, so I would definitely like to hear about paste papers. When I have a bit more time, I'm definitely going to be diving into the archives at alteredbooks. I know what you mean about getting their posts in a digest. Within minutes of signing, I had four emails. Whew, these folks are active!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2002, 02:00 PM
A WC! Legend
Montana

Hails from United States
Re: papers----when I come down to visit my ole stomping grounds I always go to Sterling Art & Pearl to buy new papers, even if I don't need any. I love to look at them----marbeled papers are my passion. Perhaps I could wallpaper my sitting room with them so I could just look at them!!!
When I have a moment I will send instructions on the paper thing, it's quite fun to use papers YOU made!

Yes, they are a WAY active group the alteredbooks---too active for me, you can change your options at the web site for email.

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2002, 11:35 AM
Rosenberg, Texas

Hails from United States
Artbabe, I love your book pages. I am in an Artist Way group and one of our mutual projects are to create our own altered books. I'm always looking for inspiration.

Funny story here though. About finding a book to alter. Hubby and I went to our local library where they have old hardback books to sell for anywhere from 1 dollar to 25 cents. We found a couple of books, one amongst them is called "Of Pots and Priveys" (a book based on old fashioned toilets). We thought 'heck, there won't be anything in this book that is interesting.' Boy, were we wrong. The book is filled with hilarious stories and historical facts. We can't think of harming or blocking a page. Oh, well, back to the library to get another book...hopefully one we will NOT become attached too.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2002, 03:14 PM
A WC! Legend
Montana

Hails from United States
writes4me, thanks for your nice words about my book pages---
the information on alteredbooks a yahoogroups might be helpful to you, just the files alone have lists of all sorts of things to do to a book------things i didn't imagine til i read it---have a good time altering, it really grows on you! very portable, not too time consuming, and those pages as small canvases are satisfying!
artbabe~

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2002, 04:38 PM
A Local Legend
"Fraggle Rock" Virginia

Hails from United States
Cathleen
I started work early this morning so I'd have time to get on WetCanvas today.
I finally got to spend some time looking at all your wonderful work.
Your site is well worth the wait.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2002, 11:26 AM
A WC! Legend
Montana

Hails from United States
Thanks Leaflin for your nice words about my work---especially since you got up to work on firdie early to see mine! You're
the coolest artist going---
Cathleen~

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2002, 08:27 PM
ontario, canada

Hails from Canada
This is a wonderful thread Artbabe..! I guess collage artists are naturally drawn to altered books too ( once they get over the destruction..or err enhancement of books concern!)
I tried a couple last summer..it is a very imaginitive kind of artistic pursuit and addictive too! I used a lot of vintage doll pics for mine..and a corny yet intriguing title..it felt good to give the discarded book new life..
A web site that might be of interest to folks here .. http://www.nervousness.org

-a land mail art project group..very nifty ideas and exchanges including collage and altered books..lots of funky projects!
Attached Images

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2002, 10:24 PM
A WC! Legend
Montana

Hails from United States
Originally posted by Mae
This is a wonderful thread Artbabe..! I guess collage artists are naturally drawn to altered books too ( once they get over the destruction..or err enhancement of books concern!)
I tried a couple last summer..it is a very imaginitive kind of artistic pursuit and addictive too!

MAE! I LOVE your page, thanks for posting it!! I use old doll parts in assemblage & images in my work as well---seems like we have a lot in common! I had no idea anyone would have heard of alteredbooks at WC! COOL! I sometimes I gut the whole book and cover the boards in decorative papers and then make new signatures and place in it so I can have a new journal, just the size and color I want!! One addiction feeds another!
artbabe~
PS, thanks for the nervous site but I have had my caffeine today
<grin>

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2002, 09:50 AM
A Local Legend
Sister Bay, WI

Hails from United States
Just found this thread and it is fascinating. As far as mutilating books, I volunteer at a resale shop and it is amazing how many books in bad shape have to be disposed of. I will have a great source if I decide to add this to my already too many interests. A good source for those of you who do this.
JoAnn
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2002, 10:05 AM
A WC! Legend
Montana

Hails from United States
JoAnn-----that's exactly WHERE I find most of my books for altering! In fact many times if I am covering ALL the pages I will use a child's book since they are smaller & have fewer pages! And do I ever know what you mean by add to your already full agenda of interests!
Cathleen~

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2002, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
New Hope

Hails from United States
Have you seen the Women Beyond Borders project? 400 wooden boxes finished & adapted by women artists from around the world? It hasn't come this direction but if you're in the LA area you can see it. All of the 400 boxes from all the 32 different contries are on the web exhibition. I thought you'd like it, since this is semi-related to altered books, since it concerns small constructions and narrative art.

Ilene

whoops: forgot the link http://www.womenbeyondborders.org/ex_intro.htm
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2002, 05:10 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations
Thanks for the link, iyoung! I'm heading on over there...

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2002, 07:26 AM
Virgin Islands

Hails from US Virgin Islands
Thanks iYoung for the art box site. Fascinating.. as is this whole thread. I had no idea. Opens up a whole new area for exploration. Aside from art/creativity aspect, it appears to be a very interesting way to explore the inner landscape. The boxes reveal a portion of the artist's psyche. Looking at them is similar to checking out the titles in someones bookcase.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2002, 10:41 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
foothills in california

Hails from Canada
i just felt as though i needed to be hooked up here the thread is great. i started here when i came to wc and then got lost on the crits for awhile and now here i am again as things have shifted as far as activity goes.
i love somerset studios and subscribe. i watched that dreaded martha stewart the other day and she had someone on making paper. i will find the link and post it when i get a second. any way, i hope this post has a long life.