WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2005, 12:42 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States
Basic 101: Class 23 - Drawing Glass

Basic 101 Class 23

The Glass Class

“Drawing glass is really no different than drawing any other subject. Attention to detail and accurate values are what creates the illusion of shiny glass”.----Karen Cardinal, Colored Pencil Forum.

I remember a trick that we used to do in college. It involved “eating glass”. We would smash a light bulb—take a piece of it and slowly chew it—crunch it up a lot and then swallow it. Ah, college days. Do NOT try this yourself.

The key to the trick is to choose the right glass and to make sure that you totally broke down the glass.

Fact, glass is sand. That is what glass is made of –it is a silicon based product and the making of glass is ancient in its origins so it makes perfect sense that we would want to portray glass in our drawings.

Like the glass eating trick—that is all there is to drawing glass or anything transparent for that matter—it’s a trick—you don’t draw the glass you draw what it happens to be reflecting.

Glass is made of light, reflection and sand. Don’t concentrate on the problem of drawing the glass—think about what about what the glass “sees” and shows back to you—the reflection. Think about the shape of the glass—are there curves? Are there patterns in the glass—is there water in the container—are there distortions—what is or are the light sources? Is the glass colored OR is the reflection of the glass creating colors and patterns that you can exploit to create the illusion of glass. What about stain glass—how does light and reflection effect this type of glass. Is the glass clean—what if the glass is dirty—does the dirt distort the reflections? What is in, beside or behind the glass—what about windows, glasses, skylights, fishbowls. Consider the thickness of the glass—what about prisms.

Glass, as a personality, is very complex but is easy and fun to draw. Here are some glassy things to always keep in mind:

1. Focus on what the glass is reflecting—not the glass itself.

2. Focus on your light sources.

3. Tone and value are very, very important when drawing glass

4. When drawing in color, keep in mind that glass will sometimes break down light into its different spectrum bandwidths (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Indigo, and Violet)—consider using these in a limited palette along with white, black (if you must) and gray.

5. ALL transparent objects are comprised of dark and light patterns in varying degrees of value.

6. You don’t always have to draw the exact reflection—sometimes you can just indicate the reflection as a difused image (draw just the patterns and not the picture).

7. VERY important in drawing glass—Highlights, midtones, darks---work the darks first, then the highlights and then fill in the midtones.

A short list but this will help you move well on your way to adding the glass dimension to your artist’s bag of tricks.

Demonstrations:

The following four examples are demonstrations of the creation of a glass object. They are overly simplified, of course, and I really should follow my own advice and use a centerline.

The first two demos are done in graphite:

1. Lightly draw the line drawing and PLEASE use a centerline

2. Fill in your patterns

3. Add in your values

4. Use an eraser to fill in your highlights if necessary.

The second two sketches are in color using Prismacolor Pencils:

In the first one, I did a line drawing of the glass, and then filled in specific points with aquamarine. Next, I took a solvent called Turpenoid and, using a q-tip—dissolved the colored pencil to create a watercolor like effect. I then created darks by using a combination of Indigo Blue and Raspberry. Finally, I used Peacock and olive green to complete the glass.

In the next one, I did the line drawing very lightly and then developed the drawing using French gray 20 percent. Next I took indigo blue and tuscan red and created the darks. Finally I filled out the drawing using mineral orange. Notice, that in the sketch I have only indicated the reflection using a series of patterns.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2005, 12:46 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States
Re: Basic 101: Class 23

The next images are examples of work that I have done with drawing glass.
Attached Images

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2005, 12:49 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

The Assignment

1. Do a glass piece with yourself as the reflection--in other words--a glass selfportrait

2. Do a still life

3. Do crystal balls and marbles

4. Pick something on your own--any medium you want

ABOVE ALL--HAVE FUN!!!!!!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2005, 01:06 AM
Lord of the Arts
Oxford, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Gulp. Thanks, JayD. I think...

I don't think for a moment that it's as easy as you make it look! Thanks for another great class!!

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2005, 05:39 AM
A Local Legend
Johnstown, Pa.

Hails from United States

Gulp, gulping with Dave!
(Glad you are with us Dave! )

Thanks Boss!!!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2005, 07:18 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Thanks, guys--again pardon the leaning--I thought it was the centerline but when I drew those demos I was phsically exhausted from clearing some woods this weekend with my chainsaw and pruning shears. In High Point, you have to lug it all up to the edge of the road so that the city can pick it up and it must be bundled in three feet sections. I own an acre to an acre and a half of city real estate so dragging those heavy, dense wooded gum tree corpses to the road took a lot out of me. I still have to chainsaw the tree sections so that the city will pick them up on Thursday. This whole chore took late Friday until Mid Sunday to finish and the curb by the road where I place the refuse looks like I have erected a hedge wall--I am 6' tall and it goes up to my mid chest.

I wrote a short story called "Behind the Yard" in which a city inspector comes to this guys house to inspect a just spotted but never inspected building from who access is apparently through and behind this guy's yard. Turns out that is it s gingerbread house occupied by a witch. Happy to report that I found no witches!!!

Anyway, enjoy the glass class--I will be doing and posting some more controlled examples for you as well. Just remembers that the reflections can be as detailed or as not as you would like them to be.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2005, 07:37 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Thank you JayD, (gulp also), this is going to be more fun and challenge. You have been working hard, so take care.

Hi Judi and Dave!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2005, 07:52 AM
A Local Legend
Iowa

Hails from United States

Wow this is going to be a toughy.But looks like fun.
JayD very nice pieces.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2005, 08:03 AM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England

Oh yes - I like this one - way better than fur!!!! Can't wait to get started!
www.anitamurphyart.com
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2005, 08:26 AM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Oooo, glad I got my excuse in early for this one. But can't wait to see all of your drawings!

Jay, take it easy after all that work. If your humidity is anything like ours right now, walking those tree corpses out to the curb must have been more like swimming.

My Art Agent
My Blog
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2005, 09:22 AM
Immortalized
near South Padre Island

Hails from United States

Hey Teach this is sooooooooooooo cool I have been wanting to do my betas over again. You gave me a reason to do it
I love your demos especially the cp beer one.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2005, 09:53 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Hey, stace---you are absolutely right--the heat is tremendous here right now and the air is heavy and unbearably humid. HOWEVER, there is NOTHING more fun then playing with a chainsaw. I've never tried chainsaw carving....hmmmmmm

Sults--hope you are going to grace us with some glassiness--here is a challenge for you and anyone who wants to give it a go--draw me a glass fairy.! or crystal--do an angel even!!!

Anybody up to doing a drawing on black ground? (black paper)
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Resting in Peace
GA, USA

Hails from United States

I have done a few drawings with glass in black and white, but think colored pencils would be better for a lot of this. I have a very limited supply of cheap pencils, this might push me over to getting a good setup.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Immortalized
dixon Ill

Hails from United States

Good morning folks. And you with the chainsaw, and extra good morning!

Though I'd be the first to post, but if so, I'm cheating. Here are two images with glass. these are digital paintings, from scratch and hand drawn, that I did for challenges on another forum. I've already started my true new glass for this thread, but thought I'd give a couple of more examples. Evern if they are digital. I;m not sure, but I may have posted one of these on the WC! but can't remember.

Chuck
Attached Images