WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: What is your favorite online pastel supplier?
Dakota Pastels 97 26.22%
Dick Blick 164 44.32%
Fine Art Store 20 5.41%
Jerry's Artarama 68 18.38%
Madison Art Shop 0 0%
Mount Vision Pastels 2 0.54%
Terry Ludwig 19 5.14%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2005, 08:19 PM
Loveland, Colorado

Hails from United States
Re: What is your favorite online store for pastels and supplies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebee
I only once tried to order something from the States and that was at Jerry's. The shipping costs were so high I cancelled the order. It has put me off from ordering in the US. It is a shame as the selection is a lot bigger than in Europe. I wonder in what state pastels will arrive when travelling so far. In what state do your orders arrive?

Hi Marina,
I was going to tell you that all my orders arrive in the state of Colorado, but I see I misunderstood the question.
I have bought from Dakota, Jerrys, Dick Blick, and ASW in the last 3 months (pastels are becoming a more expensive hobby than golf ) and all the pastels ordered arrived without damage. The only broken pastels I have bought were 3 in a set of NuPastels I got from the local Hobby Lobby (which with a 40% discount coupon turned out to only be a few dollars more expensive than buying on-line).

Wolfie
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2005, 09:42 AM
Resting in Peace
Texas

Hails from United States

wow- blick and dakota at a dead even..... i would rate jerry's much higher on my list, as they have such an amazing selection, if they did not wash away the great prices with their shipping charges...
Linda
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2005, 10:02 AM
A Local Legend

Purples:

I'm with you 100% on the OUTRAGEOUS shipping charges from Jerry's - the only way to get the message to them is to protest and buy elsewhere! The Italian Art Store ships for free any order over $150 and $7.95 for orders $25-$150.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2005, 12:02 PM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by purples
Dick Blick hands down gets from me the customer service award -...

I so agree with this! I must state though that Mister Art did follow up by e-mail on an order I received and when I told them piece of the white velour I ordered was received damaged and dirty, they were quick to send me a new one at no additional charge. I would consider ordering from them again now because of that. Before they asked me about my order, I had already decided I would never order there again and chalked it up to experience (no pun intended ) I guess we do need to give each company a chance to be better at serving our needs by letting them know when and where they fall short .
Barbara
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oegstgeest

Hails from Netherlands

Pleased to hear that pastels arrive in good shape. Gives me more confidence ordering through the internet. I might try Gerstaecker. Bringer, I think it is a german company. Might make payment easier as it is all in Euro's. Thank you for the suggestion.

My website: www.marinabuis.nl
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2005, 12:03 AM
Lord of the Arts
Pine Bush, NY-About 90 miles NW OF NYC

Hails from United States

Hey All.....I just gotta tell ya.....go to this website and look at their pastel sets and individual sticks...what a beautiful art supply store website.

www.fineartstore.com

What beautiful pictures...a lot of the pastels are pictured in cut crystal bowls....it looks almost like a feast.

WARNING....HAVE TISSUES HANDY FIRST...DROOL AND KEYBOARDS DONT MIX....Art

AJC DESIGN STUDIOS
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2005, 12:53 PM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States

I have ordered from the fine art store. Good prices, customer service, and the shipping wasn't terrible! I'd reccomend them.

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

okay, these are my favs:

Dick Blick: Love. I especially am a fan since they are carrying more pastels.
there is a store about an hour from here and it's a great store. The people are really nice and helpful and fun. I also love the prices and I usually get stuff within 2 days.

Jerry's: Great prices. They have everything. They are really nice and I get stuff really fast. One of the great online stores.

FineArt: Good sales. I really like the pastel color cards they have when choosing colors individual and sets. Since I recently discovered the place I have yet to order but, am going to get a few things from them this week.

ASW: Talk about good prices. Right now you can get a 78 GAA pastel set for 159.00. I think they are connected to Jerry's. The address is the same.

Have not dealt with Dakota but, they seem a bit pricey compared to the above. They have the same selection as the ones above. When ordering I always look for the best prices. So, this is my fav list.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Mt Sinai, Long Island, NY

Hails from United States

this isnt really a store, but I have gotten some exceptional good buys by bidding on ebay. I check the prices in the various catalogues to make sure I know what the going price is before making any bids. If you want pastels, dont just type in "pastels" or you will get anything with that name, such as pastel sheets, pastel colored wallpaper etc. I type in the particular brand I might be interested in, such as Unison pastels, and then all types of pastels come up.

they have also always arrived in perfect shape- no broken sticks

I have ordered many set this way and only once did I have a problem. It did arrive finally but apparently the order had been misplaced, so instead of a fews days it too a couple of weeks.

Last edited by terence p : 01-01-2006 at 07:49 PM.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

oh, I have too. There is a great dealer with excellent stuff and good pricing. they just changed the store name. If you look at the Unison listings, the guy is from atlanta. Really great. His stuff is really good and he is so nice. I can't remember the user name but, like I said look for Unisons and the address is atlanta.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Lynn, MA.

Hails from United States
Unhappy Re: What is your favorite online store for pastels and supplies?

For me, there is no preference. I may spend more time searching, but really what I look for is the place that has what I want, in stock and at a reasonable price.

I'd actually prefer not to order online, as many times I like to test the pastels, hold them in my hand and understand their qualities prior to buying. Online is less personal too, especially when you're trying to deal with just order takers as opposed to artists. Online also can be a problem when trying to return items or get bills corrected, which I've experienced in the past.

But alas, not very many art stores in my area carry a wide enough selection, with only Pearl Paint in Cambridge/Boston carrying a decent variety. However, the need to take the train, and the time to get to their store, for prices that I don't find overly appealing doesn't do it for me, and thus, I am often relegated to ordering online. A necessary evil I guess?
http://www.fioravanti-fineart.com
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Resting in Peace
Texas

Hails from United States

Hi guys- had not even thought of putting ebay on the poll- so sorry!!
Fine Art Supply has a beautiful website don't they?
Dakota is pulling slightly in front here...

Jeff- will have to look at your site- what a lot of initials- wow!!! Yes, they are better to touch- but our local store have signs saying you can't test them anyway without buying ! Can understand their concern though, since the cost so much and nobody wants to buy a broken one... still they could leave a few of each brand around...
Linda

PS- just looked at Jeff's site- good heavens.... you deserve a few more initials... how about God of Pastels?

Last edited by HarvestMoon : 01-05-2006 at 12:08 PM.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

Wow, Jeff, you actually have places to buy on the spot and to test different pastels??? I'm so jealous. We have 3 craft stores in town with only icky stuff to buy and no testing (gee, Iwonder why....). I can drive an hour to Schaumberg and try a few lines at the dick blicks there. Rockford doesn't have an art store so on line or travel is the only way to get real art supplies.
I just ordered some paper from Dakota, my first shot at them. I love the site but, I find the price high. However, they are really, really nice and personal service. I didn't order enough paper and they called me to tell me and we added some. Wow, service, huh?? I find Blicks really nice, too. One complaint about Fine Art is the ordering is so laborious.
I may have to put a few more cents down on stuff and switch to Dakota, though. Jerry has been awfully slow in sending stuff. I guess that means my fav. on line store is Dick's. 2 days and it's here. Good prices and sales. I have abit of a soft spot for them.
Applebee: I think any of them will take care to ship well. I am surprised by the shipping. I have sold things on EBAY and found overseas shipping not that much more expensive. I think the shipping on all is a bit up there.

Last edited by dlake : 01-05-2006 at 07:43 PM.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2006, 10:29 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

I just received Jerry's newest catalog - Sennelier has a new set out that I've not seen before. Pure color - no clay or fillers. Expensive!

I have my eye on a couple of things out of this eye candy catalog -
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

Kat, I've seen the pure colors - 108 in the set? they look interesting, don't they.