WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 05:02 PM
A Local Legend
Apple Valley, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Basic 101: Class 9

Isn't it nice to have everyone back? And Sults trying harder than I do to get in trouble . . . and Dave showing his gif-ness, not to metion his poet-ness. And Deb trying to get out of drawing another tree . . . Stacy stealing - I mean borrowing - books from Dad . . . AnneMarieLisa trying to get out of the book report by dazzling us with projects . . . typical class if you ask me . . .

#32   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 08:03 PM
A Local Legend
Johnstown, Pa.

Hails from United States

I haven't written a book report for thirty years and we all know I'm not the best 'splainer (right CJ?). But I gave it a shot. The only luck I had here was I had the same publisher and number of pages as Deb's book so I copied that. LOL

Book Report for Lesson 9
by Judi Lynch

Title: Colored Pencil Portraits, Step by Step
Author: Ann Kullberg
ISBN Number: 0-89-134-844-1
Publisher: North Light Books
Hardcover, 127 pages
Copyright: 1999

Overview

Ann Kullberg is a great colored pencil artist and in this book she shares her step by step illustrations to achieving lifelike quality portrait ‘paintings’. Throughout this book Ann posts may beautiful finished works as well as helpful progress pictures.

Summary

Chapter 1 Getting Started
Chapter one reviews all the materials you need to get started as well as some recommendations as to quality brands of paper (Stonehenge), pencils (Prismacolors), pencil sharpener (Boston), drafting brush, ‘sticky stuff’ and pencil extenders. It is also stressed to keep your point to an optimum point as many papers have many hills and valleys and a sharp point will take to the valleys best for the best coverage and smoothness.
This chapter also describes different methods of laying down colored pencil. In the descriptions Ann states which methods she uses for what part of the portrait.

Chapter 2 Composing a Portrait
Chapter two reviews the correct processes in making up a composition. Subjects include: using reference photos, using the correct size reference photos, drawing freehand and transfer options to your final paper. Instruction of using grids is explained as well as using projectors. The most interesting and useful section of this chapter is learning how to see good composition. Ann discusses cropping so you get the most out of your composition. Backdrops, balance, spacing of main subject and using diagonal and vertical lines of objects to pull you into the main subject is demonstrated.

Chapter 3 Seeing the Light
Chapter three discusses the importance of making the darks and creating contrast to show light. She discusses the progression of her journey ‘Toward the light’. She explains and demonstrates this progression by showing her first attempts to portray light in her work to where she truly became a master at portraying light by her use of darks and contrast.

Chapter 4 Creating Believable Skin Tones
In Chapter four a palette guide is shown for all of the different skin tones arranged according to hue. There are yellow, orange and pink skin tones. She stresses the twenty-three colors in the palettes are to be used as a guide to help you build the colors you need. Then she arranges these colors into value groups, and explains the importance of your first ‘wash’ that provides the base for all future layers. There is also an exercise to create a Skin Tone Bar. The rest of the chapter shows you how to build skin tones, using a value viewer and creating black and Asian skin tones.

Chapter 5 Painting Features and the Face
This Chapter shows you, step by step, how to use colored pencil to create the facial features (eyes, nose, mouth and ears) as well as the colors to use (as a guide). Then she does a step by step on painting the entire face of a little boy. This chapter, nor the book, addresses how to draw.

Chapter 6 Painting Hair
Painting hair is not an easy thing to do with colored pencil. The book breaks it down in the following way: Divide the hair into shapes (by the highlighted and color areas), then details how to draw dark hair, light brown hair, blonde hair and red hair. There is a strong emphasis and discussion on the effect sunlight has on the subject. Hair texture is also demonstrated (curly, kinky, wavy and the crew cut).

Chapter 7 Painting Fabric
This Chapter shows how to ‘paint’ believable fabrics. Cotton, patterns, plaid, denim (including denim hems and seams), polished fabrics (satin and the like) and knits are detailed and/or discussed.

Chapter 8 Putting It All Together
This Chapter puts it all together Step by Step. Two separate drawings are created here. One drawing is of a little girl sitting on a brick wall and the other of a brother and sister together. The latter is attached with this report.

Appendix The Portrait Business
The appendix gives you an overview of how to conduct a portrait business, and contains a lot of useful information for someone who would want to create a business with their skill. Subjects here include Initial contact, photo shoot, choosing the reference photo, Contracts, pricing as well as a few humorous errors made by Ann. One error I repeated myself, after I had read the book.

I really liked the detail and step illustrations. They were well chosen. I fell in love with doing colored pencil reading this book. I was truly amazed at the work done by Ann Kullberg. She is recognized as great by many. I believe this book is THE must have for a CP portrait artist. My personal library consists of only six or so books at this time, but this book is the most cherished.
Attached Images

#33   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 08:29 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Of course you know that Ann Kullberg is also famous for her "vertical stroke" method of drawing. She was trying to find a way to speed of the time it takes to create a colored pencil piece and invented this technique. She primarily works in portraits mostly of children of course. I can't wait to see the project that you do based on this book. Very good choice!

By the way, she created a really nice flesh tone scale guide that, if you plan to do colored pencil portraits, you should not do without.

Fireman's Kid--I too have a book addiction--glad to have re-ignited it in you!
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 08:40 PM
A Local Legend
Johnstown, Pa.

Hails from United States

JayD, I did not mention the vertical stroke (a thousand lashes!) but I did mention the Skin tone bar. That was a time consuming, but useful exercise.
"Chapter 4 Creating Believable Skin Tones
In Chapter four a palette guide is shown for all of the different skin tones arranged according to hue. There are yellow, orange and pink skin tones. She stresses the twenty-three colors in the palettes are to be used as a guide to help you build the colors you need. Then she arranges these colors into value groups, and explains the importance of your first ‘wash’ that provides the base for all future layers. There is also an exercise to create a Skin Tone Bar. The rest of the chapter shows you how to build skin tones, using a value viewer and creating black and Asian skin tones."

I must admit I read it many moons ago, and didn't re-read it cover to cover or mention everything I should have.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 09:06 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

The real kicker, Judi is that now you can just go and BUY the value bar with her portrait sets. A good value.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 09:55 PM
Indiana

Hails from United States

The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

Betty Edwards 1999. Penguin

ISBN 0-87477-424-1

Paper, 291 pages. List Price $16.95 USA. Internet $11.86.

This is the book that opened up drawing to me in June. It starts with the premise that we are dominated by logical, left-brained thinking. Our creative, right-brained skills are used less, not nurtured, and, therefore, out of practice. Once we understand that we possess the creative skills, they, like any other skill can be reduced by lack of use. If we learn how to bring these skills up to snuff, we can draw! Ironically, she uses the left-brain skill of reasoning and logic to teach the reader/artist how to be creative. It worked for me. I admit that I was concerned I would be wasting my time reading this book – I don’t go for braiding mud and twigs in my hair, candles, and incense. I was not interested in reading a book about how I should permit the earth force flow through my body into my drawing. Happily, I was not disappointed. Although I have read some opinions counter, I think Edwards kept here work on the practical and helpful side of the reality line.

I work in a left-brained intensive profession – law – in an often right-brained practice – real estate development. Edwards’s logical explanation of the “why” of drawing errors or misconceptions permitted me to understand why I do what I do (or did) when drawing. The concept that Edwards makes clear is the same as our Project’s text – How to Draw What You See. However, Edwards goes beyond telling the reader/artist, “draw what you see rather than what you think you see.” First she explains why we make error drawing what we think we are seeing, then explains the error, then, step by step, makes the reader/artist discover for themselves, through exercises, the error and how to correct it. Only after trying to do a portrait by memory and then drawing upside down did I really get the concept of having to draw what I see instead of what I think should be there.

After helping the reader/artist to understand the draw what you see concept, Edwards introduces you to lines, perspective, positive and negative spaces, and then drawing the portrait. Each chapter is devoted to one of these elements. They additionally contain several exercises to introduce the element and permit the reader/artist to experience the skill. Her explanation of the chopped-off skull and proportions of the head are very instructive. I had no idea that eyes are half way between the chin and top of head. This is not a how-to, “tricks,” book but Edwards takes the time, which is well worth it, to explain why the error occurs and why it can be fixed. The old adage applies about teaching a man to fish verses giving a man a fish to eat. Once the why is known, it can be applied to other similar problems.

I think this book is most helpful for the person just starting out. An experienced artist would, I think, already know the concepts. All in all, I thought it was an easy read and the projects were approachable. Although someone who has learned the “tricks” of drawing, may be interested in finding out why the trick worked. As an aside, Edwards includes chapters at the end on color. Although interesting, I thought it did not really apply where the reader/artist is trying to get the basic drawing down. Perhaps this section was included by the publisher because a book entirely in black and white would not sell as well.

P.S. I would like some comments on this book and reasons why it raises such emotional reviews, pro and con. I would be afraid to read this book after reading internet comments on it!

Attached is a before memory drawing and two afters.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Review The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.pdf (28.9 KB, 259 views)
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 09:56 PM
Enthusiast
Cornwall, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Looks like we need an Artbook Lovers Annonymous meeting!! Hi, my name's Deb and I have a problem - I can't resist buying art books.

I love them too.

Sultry, lol, no I don't mind.

Dave, good book report! This is your "first"? Can't wait to read the others. The book you chose, Keys to Drawing, sounds really good. I'll have to watch out for it. Looks like I'm going to have to re-join North Light Books now. Do you know how difficult it was for me to finally quit that last time? It almost physically hurt me.

Jay, styrofoam sheep sound like fun to do. Did you play the angel in this production? (Good thing you can't see my face when I ask that.)

CJ! I wasn't trying to get out of drawing another tree. If, by some strange quirk of fate, Jay hadn't noticed that the tree I would have posted here was the same as the one I'll post in lesson 8, wellllllllllll, them's the breaks, eh?

Judi, for someone who hasn't done a book report in thirty years, you did a great job! I love the look of coloured pencils. My oldest son, Zach, loves using them and does some great work with them. It amazes me when I see work such as you've shown in your report done with coloured pencils! Can't wait to see the project you do. Will it be a portrait? I'm in awe of you, if it is!

Deb

My Blog / Website
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 10:11 PM
Enthusiast
Cornwall, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metier
...I admit that I was concerned I would be wasting my time reading this book – I don’t go for braiding mud and twigs in my hair, candles, and incense.

........I would like some comments on this book and reasons why it raises such emotional reviews, pro and con. I would be afraid to read this book after reading internet comments on it!

I'm still laughing over your comment about not going for braiding mud and twigs in your hair!

I loved this book, though I have to admit I still haven't finished getting through it. But what I did go through, I learned a lot from and was amazed at how right Edwards' theories are.

I haven't read any of those 'against' statements you speak of on the net, but I sure wouldn't hesitate to recommend this book to anyone either. I think it's great and that anyone who doesn't have it should get it. I remember drawing a famous drawing she had in her book and I did it upside down and was amazed at how it turned out. Death of Seneca, I think it was called.

Love your before and after drawings! The eyes in the after pic are wonderful!!

Great book report! It is just so interesting reading all these book reports!

Deb

My Blog / Website
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 10:39 PM
A Local Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States

I too am an art book junkie, and I am running out of space on my bookshelves.

Deb, your book report was excellent. Maltzman's "Drawing Trees" is one of the few drawing books that I don't have, and it sounded really good. I'll have to look for it in the library and/or book stores.

Dave, I have the "Keys to Drawing" book, and I have done several of the projects in it. I think it's an excellent book for a beginner, as well as someone like me who jumped right into painting and several years later realized that my lack of drawing skills was holding me back. I too haven't worked through the entire book yet, although I've READ the entire book a couple of times. That's something I tend to do, buy a book and read it and only get around to doing one or two of the lessons. Time to pick this one up again and play with it.

Judi, I've never done colored pencil, but I've looked at the Kuhlberg book and I was awed by her work. It almost made me take up colored pencil, but I just can't afford to purchase supplies in another new media. I've started experimenting with pastels and collage this year, in addition to all the money I spend on my watercolor supplies. But this is a super excellent book and if you work in colored pencil I would think it would be a must-have.

"Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain". I have this one also, and I think it's great. I've worked my way through many of the exercises in this one - they are fun, and they really help you to learn to see, and then to draw what you see. The only one I had trouble with was the one where you draw a chair by looking thru a viewfinder, and drawing the negative spaces. At the time, one of my eyes was nearsighted, and one farsighted, plus I had cataracts. If I looked thru my right eye, I could see the viewfinder, but the chair was a big blur. If I looked thru my left eye, I could see the chair fine, but couldn't see the viewfinder. I got really frustrated on that one. Now that I have trifocals and have gone through cataract surgery, I may have to try it again. :-)

Oh, this assignment is going to be so much fun, and I can see my library expanding again. Too bad I can't ask for some of these books for Christmas.

I have company again, my daughter and family are here for a week again - and they brought their little frog in his "frog habitat". My bookcase is kind of hard to get to right now because of all the stuff I've moved around to make room for my guests, and we've been doing a lot of visiting with other relatives, but I will get out some of my drawing books one day this week and see which one I'd like to do a report on.

Michelle
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2004, 11:31 PM
A Local Legend
Apple Valley, CA

Hails from United States

Does anyone else have books of Mark Kistler's from his Imagination Station TV show? I've never seen it on TV, but his books sure are fun!!!
Attached Images

#41   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 06:48 AM
Lord of the Arts
Oxford, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

It is strange that Drawing on the Right Side seems to attract such virulent criticism, isn't it. I think it is a great book for giving confidence to people who never thought they could draw, which is after all what it was primarly intended to do.

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 09:31 AM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metier
The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

P.S. I would like some comments on this book and reasons why it raises such emotional reviews, pro and con. I would be afraid to read this book after reading internet comments on it!

Hi, I was going to try very hard to keep my mouth shut and stay out of trouble today but I find that near impossible. I will tell you the reason is because I had an ulcer 20 years ago and the Dr. told me I had to start talking and stop keeping everything inside. OK, Now that is out I can continue. Everyone is doing a great job on their book reports! The Betty Edwards book is what brought me here. I bought it near the end of summer this year and I thought it was great. Unfortunately I got stuck and frustrated somewhere around the middle. Decided I needed some guidance after ripping up the viewfinder thingy she has you make and I threw it across the room. Have not opened the book since but it sits waiting for me on my piano bench. Emotional? yes. Why? Maybe because as a person new to drawing I was taken through some highs and lows. Encouraged and then discouraged. Hmmmm, I have felt that here as well but I can't throw my monitor.
Its all part of the learning process I guess and maybe she does get you there (to some concepts), quicker than you would discover on your own certainly.
My 2c for the day.
Barbara
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 10:12 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Just happened to be passing by and saw your post. The reason that I did not use that book as a text is that I consider it somewhere akin to advanced music theory--I think it is a wonderful book but I would never give it to an absolute beginner--now that is an opinion of course but I could see your frustration with it--although taking it out on the viewfinder both puzzles and amuses me.

NOW THAT BEING SAID--the book report is fine and I think that people can check out the book and judge for themselves but this class is not for debate as to the worthiness of the book--we have another forum for that one.

So present the facts--do the demo--and let your class peers decide for themselves without the influence of what someone else said somewhere else.
What matters is what YOU think--not what others think.

Regarding this class--ANYTIME you are frustrated with a portion of this class just pm me and I will see if we can work it out. We are here to learn and to have fun.

You get an A+ for speaking up--

Meteir--EXCELLENT BOOK REPORT

Deb--carving a sheep out of styrofoam is not unlike makeing cole slaw--you have to use a rasp to get the shape but no mayonaise.

Last edited by JayD : 12-28-2004 at 10:14 AM.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 10:16 AM
A Local Legend
Johnstown, Pa.

Hails from United States

I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but the tsunami tidal waves hit Blah's hometown of Chennai, India, where some 50,000 people are thought to have been made homeless. That's all I know at this time. Pray for them all.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 10:19 AM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi1957
I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but the tsunami tidal waves hit Blah's hometown of Chennai, India, where some 50,000 people are thought to have been made homeless. That's all I know at this time. Pray for them all.
That has been heavy on my mind as well.