WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2004, 07:57 PM
South Carolina

Hails from United States
Re: corporate vs. freelance

I haven't had a chance to read through this thread yet, and wasn't sure what I'd have to contribute since I believe most corporations are subsidiaries of Hell, Inc, but...

When Aquent came up in the previous thread, I started thinking about it again and felt encouraged to register with them. Finally did last night and already was contacted about a freelance project this afternoon. I'll let you all know how things go with them.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2004, 10:28 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Omnia mea mecum porto.

Hails from United States

Good for you Ted! Hope it works well. Looking forward to hearing/reading!

The fact which the politician faces is merely that there is less honor among thieves than was supposed, and not the fact that they are thieves. --Thoreau
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 09:42 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Excellent thread, Dave! This is just what this forum needs - more discussion and sharing of ideas and opinions! I would encourage everyone to join in -

BTW - hope you are all rating this thread - we need to do more of this so these wonderful threads can be easily found - here Axl's explanation of how and why we should rate threads.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184484

Last edited by Kathryn Wilson : 08-20-2004 at 09:46 AM.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 01:55 PM
right here

Hey all! I'm a new to wetcanvas and this is the second thread I clicked into. I think its great that this forum is here to discuss the business of art. I worked for a company as an environmental graphic designer for over 8 years before deciding to have a go at it on my own. I'm slowly finding out the price of starting a company as my business plan comes together, but if it is something you feel like you have to do you just have to do it. If you have to do it chances are that corporate isn't for you. The empty exsistence of selling my days for the security of the nights and weekends at some point failed to out weigh my personal need for freedom. For me, there was no recognition or way of getting to where I wanted to be working for the man.

Since I've been on-line I've found a couple companies that let artists set up free stores that let them make $ of the products they design, the companies make and ship the product and you get your cut. To any talented struggling artist I would recommend them. I had a lot of fun designing my own store and it made me feel like I was moving ahead...and it was free. I feel like a sales person, but I know what being an artist does to the mind, I've been down pretty much every path and etic there is and if I can help anyone find a way to get their stuff out there and have some fun then good for me.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth, thanks for listening.

Peace.

Oh yeah, the stores: Zazzle.com & Cafepress.com - check them out if your interested in getting some of your work out there. I haven't started designing a store on Cafepress yet but I really love the idea of having my images printed on a lunch box for some reason.

Last edited by Mr. Nauss : 08-20-2004 at 02:12 PM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 04:19 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

And excellent 2 cents they are, Mr. Nauss! Welcome to the Illustration Forum - hope you stick around and share more of your opinions and your work with us.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 04:51 PM
Omnia mea mecum porto.

Hails from United States

Hey there Mr. Nauss! Thanks for joining in. We're more than happy to have you.

Excellent post. That freedom/independent streak got me too.

environmental graphic designer? Are we talkin Architectural Signage? Street signs? Mall signage? Or all the above?

The fact which the politician faces is merely that there is less honor among thieves than was supposed, and not the fact that they are thieves. --Thoreau
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 04:52 PM
Omnia mea mecum porto.

Hails from United States

Feels real odd - rating my own thread.

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 05:58 PM
right here

Thanks for the words of welcome. To answer your question Dave, yes, I design all signs including wayfinding systems for buildings all over the world. Most of the companies I worked with are in the States so I also know all about ADA compliancies and that good stuff. It took me a while to get the irony of my life. A person who dreams of sharing visual creations spending his days designing signs for blind people. Me and my inner dialouge had quite the chuckle over that one.

Last edited by Mr. Nauss : 08-20-2004 at 06:22 PM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Omnia mea mecum porto.

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nauss
Thanks for the words of welcome. To answer your question Dave, yes, I design all signs including wayfinding systems for buildings all over the world. Most of the companies I worked with are in the States so I also know all about ADA compliancies and that good stuff. It took me a while to get the irony of my life. A person who dreams of sharing visual creations spending his days designing signs for blind people. Me and my inner dialouge had quite the chuckle over that one.

LOL - there's an old saying - "I see!, said the blindman on the telephone to his deaf son."

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast

Well, I found this thread by doing a search for "freelancing". In my case, I'm just looking for a way to carve out a niche for myself, in rather challenging conditions. Working a regular job is out because I have a seriously disabled daughter and leaving her in daycare is out of the question. I have incurred brain damage, the result of which is that I cannot seem to nail down how sites like Cafepress work. I put my zazzle site in my signature line simply so I won't forget it's there! I forgot about it for who knows how long, and I don't even remember how I built it! (now I keep a notebook near the computer!)
The upshot of all this is that I am looking into freelancing, in my case to greeting card companies where I could put together a tear sheet and send it out. From what I've read, my chances are roughly those of a snowball in a sweat lodge, but really, I have to try. It's sort of my "hail Mary" pass of trying to make my artwork my job, which is what I'd really love!
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2004, 05:53 PM
Omnia mea mecum porto.

Hails from United States

Hey prairie painter! Thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Sounds like freelancing would be good for you. I have heard too that the major greeting card companies can be difficult to break into. So I would suggest targeting the smaller companies first and also consider producing your own line of cards that you can sell locally, and maybe branch out from there.

Maybe you could show us some of your images that you want made into cards?

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2004, 07:52 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, Dave. I'm definitely thinking along the line of trying the smaller card places and such. I'm not unrealistic enough to think I'll make a killing at it, just get my name and work out where it can be seen.
I think alot of people have difficulties to overcome in life, I just happen to have CAT scans & MRI's to prove mine Besides, I'm quite grateful that I didn't lose anything that mattered, my right brain is still quite intact
PS- I'll put up some of my images when I find my "cheat sheet" of how to do it.

Last edited by prairie painter : 09-07-2004 at 07:55 PM.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2004, 12:58 PM
Omnia mea mecum porto.

Hails from United States

I admire your attitude, it's an inspiration! I look forward to seeing some of your work.

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2004, 09:15 AM
South Carolina

Hails from United States

An update on Aquent (pronounced AY-kwent). The project they were lining me up with fell through. Seems they don't handle freelance projects very often, at least at the branch I was working with. Unbeknownst to them, the client was screening other cartoonists herself, having them "try out" for the job. She'd asked to see a pencil rough of my style applied to her project, and it didn't involve much so I went ahead. Then she announces she'll be "making a decisionin two weeks."

I told the person at Aquent that I prefer to work with folks who want to hire me for my style and try to avoid this kind of situation. She agreed, and she hadn't been informed either, and said she wouldn't have done it had she known. These kinds of things hardly ever work out, it seems, and I have now firmly made the decision to NEVER do ANY kind of spec work unless it's paid.

At any rate, Aquent is fine and I'd still work with them. I was surprised that they haven't worked with more off-site projects. But the pay rates are fair and the people are professional and personable.

A lesson learned, or rather, re-learned.

teddawson.com
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Omnia mea mecum porto.

Hails from United States

Thanks for the update Ted. Sorry it didn't work out. Sounds like the "Client" was using Aquent for a fishing guide. I would hope Aquent would clamp down on such things.

It's good to hear that Aquent was personable and professional, though.

As you know, I second your sentiment on spec work. Over the past few weeks I've been trying to think of a situation where it might work, but alas, nothing has come to mind.