WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Airbrush
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2005, 09:31 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Men fear me, women desire me

Re: Compressor Reviews!

2 yrs? They claim after 150 hours. I figured on my usage that would be about 6 months. Can I go longer? And if I have the top off to dump out the old stuff can I just add the new oil while the top is off? Squeezing it down that little opening took almost half an hour.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Southeastern MI

Hails from United States

Eyeburp, I am wondering about your "light flickering" thing. I know most manufacturers specify NOT to use an AC extention cord, or any other devices (power strips, two/three-ways, etc.) between the compressor and the wall outlet. I am assuming this is because they would add an impedence load to the compressor's power supply?
Anyway, if you have a light flickering when your compressor begins to cycle, that is telling me that the circuit you are using, is being overloaded, which may be detetrimental to your compressor over time.
Maybe Ken can jump back in here and shed some light on this?
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2005, 11:17 AM
northern kentucky

Hails from United States

If the lights continue to flicker after the compressor is up and running I be more worry about the house wiring I would call an electrican for advise unless someone else got better advised

ray
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2005, 02:10 PM
Enthusiast

Eyeburb,
I know about the manuals..they are refering to 150 hours of the machine actually running... Many companies also say if you put in any oil other than their brand...no warrenty....I found every couple of years was fine with all my machines.

to refill............
I add the oil when the top's off. All these pumps are a bitch to fill. One company told me that after I half filled it...now get this..turn on the machine while you fill it and it will fill it faster...I didn't try it...

My oil stock for Jun air is Red in colour while all the other brands are clear. I've always used their brand of oil in it.

As for the power surge, Larry and Ray are right...Go to your fuse box and see how many amps is on that circut, and check it against your pumps rating. The compressor has quite a power demand to push the pump through the first compression stroke, once it does the power demand drops as it is running.

Ken
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2005, 04:12 PM

The compressor is plugged directly into the same outlet as the lamp. No extension cords or power strips. It's a very new house. I can switch the lamp to another outlet. The light just flickers when the compressor switches on to refill the tank. Not continuous.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2005, 04:13 PM

Thanks. I'll check the box.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by markd-14
Does anyone have experience with the ABD TC-20T compressor from Airbrush-Depot? They say it's quiet, Iwas wondering if anyone had any experience and also about it reliability

thanx!! mark

Was wondering about this too.

My husband and i keep debating on what way to go. tank or no tank, one that runs til YOU shut it off, or one with an auto shut off....etc etc......

Stephanie
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2006, 11:26 PM
A Local Legend
USA

Hails from United States

I would strongly recommend a tank compressor. You'll not regret it! May be loud for 5 seconds while it refills but then you get total silence for a while. Plus, if you can pay a tad extra they make silent ones but I couldn't recommend any since I own a normal one.

Tim
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2006, 07:59 AM
A Local Legend
Central New York

Hails from United States

There's times I wish I had a silent compressor BUT I can't justify one. My compressor goes on sale at Harbor Freight all the time for $100. Yes I have noise and it's big but it fits under my easel and I only let it run during commerials I can continually spray for a good hour with normal use before I have to wait for another commercial so it's usually silent, even more so than a silent compressor. The other thing is it's more versitile. I can use a die grinder, air eraser, nail gun, car tire, etc. It's the same basic compressor you would want for household use. It's big enough to do anything you want with it but small enough to be portable and if you keep it in a stationary place you can alway build a quiet box around it.

Silent compressors, the smaller ones can't deliver much psi and many stop at 30- 35 psi. To get one that is able to deliver more air you have to pay allot more for it which is where I can't justify owning one. The other thing is mine gets transported and has fallen out of the back of my van. If that happened to a "good" compressor I would have cried. It's still working but it's not pretty, it took the life out of it and it voided the warrenty. When I buy a replacement I'll still be ahead of the game $$$ wise.

"No one said it had to be real, but it's got to be something you can reach out and feel" Meatloaf

#40   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2006, 05:04 PM
Seward, Alaska

Hails from United States

Here is a pic of my "Binford Tools AC1200". It's actually a Sil-Aire. I bought it around 1995 or so and it has been very reliable and very quiet. Just don't try taking one on an airplane; you can't convince the bozo's that it's not a bomb.
Attached Images

#41   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2006, 09:21 PM
A Local Legend
Central New York

Hails from United States

Binford tools LOL I think Tim must have tooned mine because it died this afternoon.

"No one said it had to be real, but it's got to be something you can reach out and feel" Meatloaf

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2006, 02:11 AM
Edmonton, Alberta

Hails from Canada

Interesting thought on compressors. I'm looking for one right now and being new to air brushing, I'm not too keen on spending lots of money on one. I think if the compressor were only kicking in once every hour I could live with the noise(not so sure about my wife however) I'd be interested in knowing how often a compressor with a 2, 4, 6 or 8 gallon tank would kick in under steady airbrush use.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2006, 07:54 AM
A Local Legend
Central New York

Hails from United States

I unplug my compressor once it's charged so it doesn't kick on until I want it too. 8 gal goes for about an hour. Most compressor have a way of changing where the compressor kicks on and off at. I don't know how but I know it's an easy change.

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2006, 12:27 PM

I started with one of the small "hobby" compressors - 1/8 HP with a 1 liter tank and quickly discovered that I needed more reserve air capacity. I still use this when I will only be working for a short period.

I stepped up to a Porter Cable 2HP, 6 Gal oil-free pancake compressor and I like everything aboutut it except the noise level when running. Like Penny, I let it fill the tank and then shut it off, which gives me a 45 min. air supply @ 30-40 psi. It is powerful enough for general jobs around the house and small spray guns, yet small enough you are not tripping over it.

Specs:
Lubrication
Oil Free
Gauges
Quick Couple
1/4" NPT
Weight (Lbs.)
Shipping Weight (Lbs.)
HP (Run)
0.8 Tank Size Gal.
6 Gal
Amps @115 Volts
Max. PSI
SCFM Air Delivery @40 PSI
SCFM Air Delivery @90 PSI
Pressure Release
YES
Regulator
YES
I also have a Harbor Freight 4.5 HP, 21 gal oil-lubed compressor that I will use for projects that require a larger spray gun or power hungry air tools, Although cosiderably bigger than the Porter, this compressor is actually quieter because it is oil-lubed and you can get them for $150. I will post the specs if anyone is interested.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2006, 01:52 PM

Paul.. big fan of you work here man.