WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Airbrush
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Oz

Hails from United States
Re: Compressor Reviews!

Great thread Cat!
Very informative!
Who woulda' thunk it?
Larry
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast

Just a quick one,
I used to service the compressors for Hansa Aero pro in 95' here in Australia....found (to my suprise) out almost ALL the oil bath silent compressor motors were made by one company in Italy. The exception was Jun air.
As for the new line of oilfree Iwata (Simair, Sparmax, etc.) Compressors, we have been testing them for the past six years. Sadley non hold up to full time work! On the plus side for the "part timer"...they are quiet, light and will last for years. I still have the little single with an auto-shut off and I mounted a regulator...still going strong when we do demo's
Airbrush Ken
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2005, 06:46 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Men fear me, women desire me

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbrush_ken
As for the new line of oilfree Iwata (Simair, Sparmax, etc.) Compressors, we have been testing them for the past six years. Sadley non hold up to full time work!
Could you elaborate? Like, the Iwata Power Jet? It won't hold up long? I'm still using (trying to use) my big momma one but it's just too loud for my current situation so I'm looking for something that isn't gonna cost me an arm and a leg and needs to be silent.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2005, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Ketttering,Ohio

As of today heres the best and most current the professionals are using!!! Task Force at Lowes-3hp-5.5gal.Tank-3.5cfm output-15 amps-Cost-$150 this is it no need to spend more!!! reveiw-Can't wear it out and it won't malfunction!!! Period!!!! Mikey
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Oz

Hails from United States

I have an Iwata Power Jet Pro (wish I would have bought the standard Power Jet - bigger tank!) and it seems to work just fine. Ken, what troubles have you found with these compressors?
On a side note I brew my own beer, and ALWAYS have CO2 tanks around...if I blow this little sucker up, I might just switch to "passing gas" fulltime!
Larry
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2005, 09:23 PM

How quiet is that Power Jet?
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2005, 10:23 PM
Oz

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeburp
How quiet is that Power Jet?
It's pretty quiet, and it's an agreeable sound too...more like listening to a sewing machine than a standard compressor. Most people have their TV volume set higher than the noise this thing makes.
Just wish it had a bigger tank....
Larry
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2005, 05:42 AM
Enthusiast

Sorry for the late response,
Sparmax, the company that makes these compressors for iwata and simair have been updating some of the parts over the past few years. The main problem is the pressure release valves...they are now using the 3rd different one...we are hoping this cures the overheating problem. We found that if you are only doing illustration, models, make-up...low demand, gravity feed airbrushes they work well. The problems seem to come when you start working with larger jar feed airbrushes, such as badger 150 or Paasche VL....they require a large amount of cfm to push the paint. The biggest failer rate was with the airbrush tanning systems...again it was heat, because they take about 20 minutes to do a tan...thus the heat load was quite high.... We also ran the twin motor system with the small tank and found the covered models suffered from poor heat release... all the ones used with the TAFE colleges failed after about 2 years. All the covered twins we used in the studio also failed after about the same time. I have updated several customers pressure release switch and drop the electric pressure switch to 60 psi max and it seems to have solved the problem. The last few new compressors we got from the factory have also droped the pressure switch to 60 psi.... If you own one now that goes up to 80psi, it's simple to change. Just PM me and I'll send you a tech sheet (pdf) on how to do it.

Regards
Ken
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2005, 07:54 AM

Thanks KaBoom! I'm having trouble finding sources that rate the sound levels. Silentaire has a chart:
http://www.silentaire.com/silentaire/chart_choice.asp
I figured the best thing to do would be to ask you guys.

Thanks for the info Ken. I'm not doing t-shirts or all day use and I'm only running one airbrush at a time. Do you think one of those would be fine? Something like the Shark Hammerhead would be overkill for me.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Oz

Hails from United States

Yeah thanks Ken, and you're welcome eyeburp...
It's funny, I was going to say that the Power Jet was pretty quiet but not as quiet as a refridgerator compressor. Then I looked at your link and it turns out that they measure all compressors against 'fridge compressors. I think that chart is about right too...makes me wonder about the "Supersilent" series from Silentaire.
I would have bought one, had I known about their reputation back then. The people that own them say they are the best available bar none...
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast

From my experience, I have made my living with my airbrushes....
Jun is probably the best oil bath compressor on the market as it is used mainly in the health industry...I found they were even sold to retail stores to remove the security clips on items ?-)
Their TC 50's are the biggest and best single pump ever made....and I've owned about every large brand sold. Right now in my studio is one Jun tc50 (about 15 years old), one sil air tc20 (about 12 years old) and my old hansa tc20....Jun is still the better of all, but also more costly.

Ken
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2005, 01:10 PM

Hails from South Africa

This is my baby i searched all over to find a supplier that would send me one. Not many were interested due to credit card fraud etc. Turns out there was a supplier in my country that had recieved one in error and could not send it back. Great discount offered and did not have to pay import taxes and shipping. Love this very silent and only turns on twice a night, running a micron b and hpc hi-line off it. Sorry coulndt bother taking a photo of my own so just got the image from Jun-Air's site.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2005, 11:25 PM
Chicago

Hails from United States

Does anyone have experience with the ABD TC-20T compressor from Airbrush-Depot? They say it's quiet, Iwas wondering if anyone had any experience and also about it reliability

thanx!! mark
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2005, 04:31 PM

Update: I just got a Silentaire DR-300 and it's VERY quiet. I've been running it late at night and very early in the morning and it hasn't woken anybody up. They claim it's quieter than a fridge, but it's not quieter than mine. It makes my lamp flicker when it switches on and that's actually more annoying than the sound. At least now I'm not jumping out of my skin every few minutes from the Home Depot one. Very happy with this purchase so far. Putting oil in was a pain though. Not looking forward to changing it.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Eyeburp,
Just keep an eye on the oil level window...don't overfill....
and you'll be sweet. I change the oil every two years....Pop the top, dump out the oil, refill...fini..

Ken