WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2019, 01:25 PM
A Local Legend
Highlands of Scotland

Hails from Scotland
listen to the silence

oil on canvas 24 x 24 inches. Not a good photo mostly due to the poor light. Lots of rain today, I dashed out in between showers but then the sun blazed out and it was even more difficult to get a photo because of the glare on the dark areas of canvas. In reality the sky is much more colourful with yellow and pink/grey. I have been painting this slowly over a few months. Thank you for your comments Caroline.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2019, 02:09 PM
Madison, WI & Nokomis, FL

Hails from United States
Re: listen to the silence

Recently, I was kvetching a little about how we are only able to see each other’s photos instead of the actual paintings, and this is clearly a great example. You can tell there’s a lot of great stuff going on that the camera can’t seem to handle. I know proper photographers’ lighting and great cameras can make a huge difference but I have none of that stuff and I doubt many of the rest of us do, either. I look forward to the next great leap in technology that makes all this reproduction stuff easier.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2019, 02:38 PM
Enthusiast

Caroline, such a beautifully tranquil piece (or should I say peace!) I absolutely love the dramatic contrast in this: it works so well. I have said this before, but these types of paintings you do put me in a very contemplative mood. Which is good after a day of packing!

I think the extreme difference in colour has probably made taking a photo of it accurately very difficult: I don't think cameras can cope with it. Nonetheless, we get the 'picture': it is wonderful!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2019, 03:08 PM
A Local Legend
Gretton

Hails from United Kingdom

Looks very good anyway.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2019, 03:16 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

The title fits Caroline.....lovely silence, lovely painting. Meditative.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2019, 03:33 PM
Immortalized

listen to the silence is the perfect title for this piece. I think these type of paintings are you greatest strength - I imagine you to be a very contemplative person. I feel like I know you when I see these paintings of yours. This painting seems almost deeply personal and private- it is stunning! I may be reading too much into it, but that's the feeling it invokes in me when I view it. Beautiful
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2019, 04:00 PM
A Local Legend
Salt Lake City

I love open spaces and the calmness that impart to the soul. I like your portrayal of such calmness. Gary
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2019, 10:07 PM
Enthusiast
Cleveland

Hails from United States

Beautiful Caroline! That dark foreground really takes the eye back to that wonderful mountain and sky. It is indeed very calming.....
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2019, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi Caroline

I agree with everyone that the title is so very fitting for this scene that I find myself gazing into the distance with.
I can certainly see some subtle colour variation in this piece and that distant sky is just gorgeous.
Beautifully done.
John
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 09:38 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Beautiful as is! A very calming piece and stunning in every way!
http://painterofthesouthwest.blogspot.com/
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 10:23 AM
Peoria, Illinois

Hails from United States

Great Caroline! I like how you've handled the high contrast design very well, especially at the transition- setting that mountain in between values and working the edges very effectively. Purple/greens are a nice, rich combination here-

www.KenTiessenArt.com
Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

I really like this painting and wish I could see it in person. Is the photograph making the foreground darker than it is in person?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 02:15 PM
A Local Legend
Highlands of Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Hi Reed, I ended up taking the photo outside because the light is not good with so much rain and cloud cover. I notice whenever I take a photo of my oil paintings out of doors I lose the information in the sky!

Hi Bizzi I will just have to wait for a better day of weather and take the photo in the morning outside, it should come out a little truer. It is a peaceful scene and it doesn't matter too much if the photo is exactly like it. Thank you for your lovely comment! much appreciated.

Thank you Harry for stopping by!

Hi Derek laddie many thanks for your nice comment I was wanting the piece to be about the intense quiet of the open landscape, glad you appreciate that, thanks again.

Hi Ann I like painting scenes like these best of all, I do have my noisy moments too!!! Many thanks for your lovely comment you do have a way with words that are always so encouraging.

Thank you so much Gary!

Thank you very much Wes!

Many thanks John, glad you like it!

Thank you Richard for your lovely comment, much appreciated.

So glad you can see the greens Ken, there is quite a bit of green which goes with the subtle purple/browns. Thank you very much!

Hi Tom the colour I used in the foreground is shale, quite a few layers, also some sap green and transparent violet purple. So the foreground is much softer, not black at all. Mind you seeing the black here on the photo does give the painting a strength that perhaps the original lacks. Many thanks for your comment, much appreciated.