Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Making lemonade.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

My plein air work is poor and I do not show much here for good reason. I am trying a new support based on a suggestion in Acrylics Forum. I thought that might be work as a thread. I am using Multimedia Artboard as a new support for my plein-air, limited-palette Golden Open Acrylic paintings. The first layer is a little difficult to apply and but it gets better from there.

The first was a crude plein air using a couple trees in a local park for test purposes.

So this morning I went out into the year to try scene across the street from my home. I had just finished my drawing when a van pulled up and backed into my scene. The driver got out with a backpack. Looked like a therapist for my neighbor. I decided to paint the van, making lemonade from lemons. I labored away till the van left. Plein air is fun even when the work is crude.

C&C Welcome. These will not be finished but the point is to learn from them. Thanks for looking, Gary

6×8 Acrylics on Multimedia Artboard- Plein Air
    [ATTACH]867147[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]867148[/ATTACH]

~5×7 Acrylics on Multimedia Artboard – Plein Air
    [ATTACH]867149[/ATTACH]

"Painting is a verb"

Thought I would add this evening plein air sketch of Mount Timpanogos. Like the others it is Golden Open Acrylics on Multimedia Artboard. I have also been trying out some limited palettes. This one is Ultramarine Blue, Pyrrole Red, Cad Yellow and Titanium White. C&C Welcome. I am sure that I will revisit this one. Gary

4.5 x 7 Mount Timpanogos – Plein Air

[ATTACH]867165[/ATTACH]

"Painting is a verb"

The van painting is so charming, a little moment in time captured. That last one I love with the dramatic light on the mountain. The fact that the sky and foreground are left undone brings more attention to the lovely mountain. Frame it!

Heather AKA Lucy12
    https://www.heatherrossbach.com
    https://www.instagram.com/heatherrossbachart/
    https://www.facebook.com/heatherrossbachart/?modal=admin_todo_tour

Skyenorth

Good to see you are getting out and about to paint outside. I really like the left hand trees in the first painting Gary. How high is the mountain?

[URL=http://www.simmillarts.co.uk
        http://simmill-arts.blogspot.com/
        Success is never found. Failure never fatal. Courage is the only thing.
        Winston Churchill.

CaliAnn

Very cool Gary – Love your sketches

Thanks Heather. It was fun to do the mountain without worrying about filling the support. I should try a few more of those. The van was an unplanned “pleasure”?

Thanks Caroline. Multimedia Artboard is good for painting trees after you get the first layer down. I might try it with oils soon. Peak Mt. Timpanogos is 11,800 ft. That would make it about 7,600 above the valley floor.

Thanks Ann. I love painting plein air sketches for just of pleasure of doing them.

Thanks again, Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Reddyman

Gary…well done and I think you are doing great with your plein air work….the painting with the van really works beautiful for me. Excellent use of blue/greys for shadows.
                As always your varied greens are super.

Look forward to your next.
                John

Your plein air work certainly doesn’t look crude … ye gods you should see mine.
                Disappointing stuff. Even your “crude” work has your signature glow.

Thanks John. It is a fun drill to see how many greens I can create from a limited palette. When I am at home I usually fall to the temptation to add to my palette to get more greens.

Thanks John. As I said, I show very little of my plein air work. Most of it is gessoed over or tossed. Some folks like to keep their failed work for comparison. I would have stacks and stacks if I did that.

Thanks again, Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Dcam
                    Bizzibee

I love what you have done with this: you have transformed a typical suburban scene into something quite charming. I always say I love your vehicles and this one is no expection! The texture is great. I can’t seem to make the link on the first or second work. I downloaded the first and that worked, but not with the second. I am sure it is super though, like all your other work!

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks Derek. The Mt. was a fun project on a beautiful summer evening.

Thanks Bizzibee. I see that two attachments are gone. It is probably related to trying to load the same two images onto the Plein Air forum. That took me two tries. My propensity to mess up a painting is only exceeded by my propensity to mess up a computer operation.

Thanks again. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Ohiohawk97

I like your Plain Air paintings Gary. You always choose interesting subjects to paint and your trees accentuate every scene beautifully. Great job with the suburban.

Wes

RandyP

Hi Gary,

I can’t see the van painting or the mountain painting that followed. Says it’s an invalid attachment.

The trees look good. I don’t know how you managed to get the mountains to recede since they’re orange, but it reads correctly to me. :thumbsup:

Randy

Thanks Wes and Randy. I do not know what happened to the missing attached images. I think it happened when I tried to load those two to the plein air forum. In any case, I am trying to load them again here. Thanks again to everyone. Gary

~ 5×7 Acrylics on Multimedia Artboard
                                [ATTACH]867205[/ATTACH]

~ 4.6 Acrylics on Multimedia Artboard
                                [ATTACH]867206[/ATTACH]

"Painting is a verb"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.