WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2019, 02:42 PM

Untitled

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: In Passing, The Orkneys, UK
Year Created:2019
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 24 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I think I missed the mark with this painting. I used a sketch from my Uncle's sketchbook he used while stationed in the UK in 1943 during WWII.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would appreciate any comments or suggestions to help me improve this painting .
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2019, 11:47 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: Untitled

two things ... the charm of the swooped roof, i think, is necessary ... and the pond, perhaps not the best choice - the rolling hills, again, are more charming because they place the church atop a hill, probably overlooking a village. the upswoop of line directly left of the church (edge of canvas) should swoop downward so as not to block the entrance and also maintain the higher elevation of the building.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2019, 01:00 PM
Lord of the Arts
Monterey Bay area, California

Re: Untitled

I think La's critique is to the point.

In general, your painting is not merely a different interpretation of the sketch. It is an entirely different thing, in terms of mood and setting. So, you should regard the painting as stand-alone; would have been better to not show us the sketch for comparison.

The sketch's church on a hill makes sense, in terms of human habitation. But the church with pond and woods is more like a nature scene, into which you have inserted a church as point of interest. That is, why would a church be there?

To put this another way: The painting, as painting, is very good. As a composition, it is somewhat off-target. That's where the original sketch hits its mark.

I like the painted sky. The use of sun behind the cloud is especially good. Many other artists would erroneously put a large circle there. Generally, choice of color and shape is good.

Substantially the same painting might have been better, if part of the central, distant woods were instead fields, with barely visible habitations. Then the church would make sense in context. Likewise, the pond might have something on shore, suggesting its usage in an agricultural context (but without adding distracting cows).

Last edited by Pinguino : 06-18-2019 at 01:03 PM.