WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which media do you use for quick outdoor sketches?
graphite (pencil and dry sticks/monolith) 20 40.00%
watersoluble pencil/sticks (graphite/color) and waterbrush 12 24.00%
watersoluble pen (fountain/fineliner/brushpen) and waterbrush 10 20.00%
waterproof pencil/sticks (color pencils/cretacolor nero etc.) without watercolor 5 10.00%
waterproof pen (any waterproof ink including markers) without watercolor 21 42.00%
watercolor (with/without graphite/ink) 29 58.00%
gouache (or watercolor + liberal mix with white) 4 8.00%
charcoal 0 0%
dry pastel (hard/soft, with/without charcoal) 2 4.00%
something else (see comments) 2 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 06:39 PM
Vancouver, BC

Hails from Canada
Re: Which media for quick sketches outdoors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indraneel
lovely sketches! It seems you used all three... pen, brushpen and waterbrush for the second one. Nicely done.

Only two as it happens, pen and waterbrush
The pen was one of those fude nib dealies from Sailor.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 01:01 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Kolkata

Hails from India

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanAndrew
Only two as it happens, pen and waterbrush
The pen was one of those fude nib dealies from Sailor.

That is interesting. Have to look into the fude nibs.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

If I am working in that sort of time limit, which I sometimes do, I like to either work in just waterproof pen, or with water-soluble graphite and just water or watercolour.

I love fountain pens to draw (and write), and use De Atramentis Document ink in the three I carry with me - black, a mixed grey and brown - so I can choose the most suitable colour for the subject.

For the water-soluble graphite I like the FC Albrecht Dürer 4B watersoluble graphite. I use it for quick portraits with a waterbrush either with or without watercolour.

My Website
My Blog
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 02:23 AM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

For a 10 to 15 minute sketch window, colored pencils, either watercolor or regular, or Inktense. Any of these gives me the ability to rapidly fill in some color implications, I keep a set of 8 regular, 1 Inktense, and 2 Watercolor Pencils in the dame pencil case with some pens and pencils. This is kept in my sketch bag that I basically always have with me.

If I am going to have a bit more time, say 30 to 45 minutes, I prefer to reach for my Casein paints for sketching. These too are in my sketch bag, a set of 4 colors and white. From those 4, I can mix nearly any color I might want (though the hue may be somewhat dull for some colors like orange).

Lastly, if I am going to have a few hours of outdoor sketching time I will reach for my oils, in the same sketching box as the Casein in my bag with very nearly the same color choices. These are the ultimate in feel for me when sketching, even if I do have to pin open my sketchbook and leave it as such for a week (I keep several sketchbooks handy).

Watercolor is almost never my go to for outdoor painting, I keep it for studio studies or adding color to sketches when I just need an impression of things, but prefer a number of other mediums for multimedia works. I have used watercolor for some sketches, but only when the window of time is something like up to 30 minutes, but more than 10. This is a small window, and my sketching bag does have my tin of watercolors. I use the same brush for watercolor and Casein, and have 2 dedicated oils brushes in my bag, along with a bar of soap and a mist bottle of water for the water media and clean up.

It sounds like a lot to carry, but all fits in a 11”x 14”x 3” bag. The sketching box contains 3 brushes, 10 tubes of paint, 1 tube of medium, a wood veneered palette, a palette knife, and some paper towel. The size and depth of this thing holds a lot of stuff but it all ends up weighing around 10 lbs. Feels great having options, but I do also have a tiny kit for when the bag is too much and a whole French easel for when I plan to be painting all day on location. Different set ups for different things. All are useful though.

Delofasht
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 03:12 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Ink and wash.

Doug
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 03:45 AM
Enthusiast
South of France

Hails from France

fountainpen with waterproof ink, and watercolour.

https://womenwagepeace.org.il/en/
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2018, 11:09 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Waterproof pen.

I love graphite, but it smears and you need a pencil tin to transport it or it will smear in one of those loose cases... the smaller tins by Caran D'ache are not well made. . . so, too fussy and messy. . . pen.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2018, 04:54 AM

Hails from Malaysia

flatliners and waterbrush?
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2018, 07:17 AM

Hails from United Kingdom

pencils - graphite and black and brown watercolour.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2018, 01:26 PM
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

After a good while of not painting outdoors (and feeling guilty!) I learned that the thing I need is what you just described. A kit that's flexible enough, and low-hassle enough, to set up/paint/put away in a 10-15 minute timeframe. Once I arranged that my painting hours went up dramatically! It was the roadblock that kept me from practice.

And yes, that kit is plain watercolor. The other thing I do for speed is skip the base sketch and just go direct with the paint. Doing so has done wonders for my lack of attention to placement and proportion. You splash Prussian Blue all over the place and get it wrong, there's no going back!

I do add ink sometimes, though mostly because I want the ink/wash look for that piece, vs. specifically to sketch prior to painting.

If caught without a kit, my next favorite medium is… drumroll please… ballpoint pen. There's few monochrome dry media tools so flexible, and there's almost always one handy if you don't have your own.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2018, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Nations

Cyntada, what is your kit? I'm trying to get to where my watercolor "kit" works for me, but I still am experiencing extremely cumbersome painting anywhere other than my home studio work-table.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2018, 09:52 AM
Kolkata

Hails from India

This seems to be CK's kit http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1380483
Everything is attached, so it's quick to open up and put away, I guess. Mine is smaller, but disorganized http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/i...4-DSCN1018.jpg
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2019, 11:24 PM
Southern NJ

Hails from United States

I've recently switched from my favored sketching pens to the Sigma pens as I wanted something not fugitive. For decades I've used Pentel sign pens, Pentel Stylos and Sanford Expresso medium-tips for sketching but they're fugative and tend to bleed-through if I'm not careful. They're stable with markers, but not watercolor.

I'm finding the Micron PN writing pen and Sigma Graphic 1mm are better for smooth sketching than the technical-pen style Sigma Microns. The Graphic 2mm and 3mm chisel pens are a bit "hard" for my tastes, but maybe they'll break-in after more use. I do like the intense black line they make, and they don't bleed through my typical drawing papers. And the Red is an intense red, not a pink or a magenta like some of the "red" markers and sketching pens. I bought a brown and sepia, and may try the gray Microns, though they only come in a few of the tip-families. The brush-tips so far has been a disappointment.

For field sketches, I tend to be fairly low-chroma. I plan to explore watercolor washes in the field this summer, once I resolve my watercolor upgrade issues. I used to use Primacolor markers for just gray shadowing and massing studies, but they don't seem to blend and even-out like they used-to...

I've very jealous of Liz Steele's urban-sketching technique; both her pen line-work and her watercolor technique. I'm way out in the country, so adapting her urban sketching techniques has been a challenge.

Last edited by Ted Bunker : 08-17-2019 at 11:41 PM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2019, 06:29 PM
Kolkata

Hails from India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bunker
I'm finding the Micron PN writing pen and Sigma Graphic 1mm are better for smooth sketching than the technical-pen style Sigma Microns. The Graphic 2mm and 3mm chisel pens are a bit "hard" for my tastes, but maybe they'll break-in after more use. I do like the intense black line they make, and they don't bleed through my typical drawing papers. And the Red is an intense red, not a pink or a magenta like some of the "red" markers and sketching pens. I bought a brown and sepia, and may try the gray Microns, though they only come in a few of the tip-families. The brush-tips so far has been a disappointment.

What is the Sigma? Do you mean the Pigma? If you want deep blacks, the staedtler pigment liner is more black with stronger tip (also costs double and lasts longer).

Akashiya Sai (and copies) have real bristle tips. I like them a lot, tips are nearly as good as pentel pocket, refillable, fully dismantleable for cleaning (unlike pentel), takes ink jet and fountain pen ink. The akashiya sai waterproof outline brushes take rotring technical pen ink without clogging (unlike pentel pocket).