Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Do you use a separate brush for mixing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Violet Roses

Unless I’m using a big floppy mop brush that just doesn’t work for mixing, I don’t use a separate brush for mixing. However, I’ve read that it’s a good idea to use a cheap synthetic brush for mixing to protect the point and extend the life of natural hair and high quality synthetic brushes. It seems like a bit of a hassle, but should I really be doing it anyway?

I love mixed media!

shadye1

Saves the expensive brushes for finer things (well one day :))

Johndk

I assume for mixing you mean on the palette.

Watercolour paint is a weird thing. If you mix too much on the palette it looses “liveliness” and becomes “flat” – just my opinion. My view is one should mix as little and as little as possible on the palette, and preferably directly on the paper. It gives a better result. Too much mixing results in mud.

And, with less mixing going on, there is less damage to precious brushes, and therefore no need to have a separate mixing brush, and no loss of precious pigment left on the mixing brush.

As long as there is light, I will paint it.

ErnstG

Wenn Sie Ihre Farben nur in Viertel-Näpfchen aufbewahren, würde ich
                    alte, separate Pinsel zum Anmischen bevorzugen. Bei Tubenfarben und
                    einer ausreichend großen Palette ist eine zweite Pinselkollektion voll-
                    kommen überflüssig.

If you store your colours only in quarter cups, I would prefer to use old,
                    separate brushes for mixing. With tube colours and a sufficiently large
                    palette, a second collection of brushes is completely superfluous.

Ernst

Meine Seiten - My website
                    Malen ist nicht alles im Leben - aber ohne Malen ist alles nichts!
                    Painting is not everything in life - but without painting everything is nothing!

Triduana

Yes, I use cheap brushes for mixing, and also things like scrubbing and lifting. I’m very good at bending the ends of brushes and so using cheap brushes makes my good ones last much longer.

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

oldey

Yes, when using watercolor in pans.
                            Usually use a waterbrush. Funny though, sometimes I will just keep painting with the waterbrush and before I know it I have half the painting finished!

indraneel

If I need a very large wash, then yes. I use full pans, and make them pliable enough with glycerin and binder, so using regular brushes and mops is usually not an issue.

virgil carter

No. I tend to mix on the paper, however, so I just use whatever flat or round I would normally use for a given passage.

Sling paint,
                                    Virgil

Sling paint,
                                    Virgil Carter
                                    http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

hblenkle

I have not found it necessary to have a separate brush to get paint from the paint wells. I rehydrate the paint at the beginning of the painting session and don’t dig in the paint with the tip. I lay the half of the side of the tuft on the paint in the well to pick up paint. I also don’t push with the brush when painting and only pull the brush in the painting stroke. Pushing the brush is hard on the tuft.

mgarcia51

Almost always. Even though I usually mix colors on the paper, I will premix the colors on my palette. Also, I often start with a very wet underpainting, and I find it easier to premix huge puddles with a mixing brush.

Hahaha, and I thought I was the only one who did this!

Maria

StevenDeeds

I often enjoy using a water brush for mixing. The paint can be moistened by squeezed out water, and again when making the puddle. This way less paint is wasted when cleaning the brush in the water container. It works nice for large light puddles, but not so well for dark colors.

Neeman

I almost only mix on the paper
                                                    so it my brush goes from the paint well on to the paper

SomeGent

It depends on what brush I’m using main on my work. If it’s my Rosemary R9(squirrel) I’m less gentle and don’t use a separate brush to mix, if my main for the piece is my Escoda Reserva(sable), there’s a fair chance I’ll mix with a separate brush :-)

LatteForZoey

I hate changing brushes in general, so nope. I will determinedly use one brush for as long as I can, haha! I’ve been purchasing hardier synthetics to make up for it, though, so I don’t break down my brushes as fast. :)

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]-Zoey
                                                            virgil carter

What tends to deteriorate watercolor brushes, particularly round brushes of any fiber, is using the tip of the brush to lift and “dig out” partially dry watercolor paint from the palette wells. This is a bad habit and death for brushes!

To solve this problem, simply: 1) Spray and hydrate all paint before using. Wait 5-10 minutes after spraying before using. Better yet, spray and then add fresh paint; 2) Always use the belly of the bush (not the tip) to lift paint out of the palette wells and introduce it to the palette’s mixing area.

These simply two steps will go a long way in preserving the tips of brushes.

Sling paint,
                                                                Virgil

Sling paint,
                                                                Virgil Carter
                                                                http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.