WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2016, 09:01 AM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada
Re: Art Journaling

Lynn, what I love about these sketchbooks is that they seem less intimidating for Beginners, but also comfortably easy for more experienced Artists. It's a good fit. And the 140# paper does work well. We've incorporated other papers in the folded signatures, as well. Simple printer paper for making notes, coloured paper for other mediums, and some hot press paper for fine work. I should buy up some 90# paper to include in the books as well!!!

Cyntada, no, not erasers. I'm not sure of the materials, but I'll be finding out next week. Stay tuned because I'll share my results.

Dawn (I didn't know your name was Dawn... it's so pretty), I love your book. The signatures placed backward add to its charm. The fact that your book has a few mistakes, the paper isn't cooperating, and your decorative covers are vibrant, makes this book even more special. It's yours. And you'll use it. There's no fear of spoiling a pristine and perfect book!

Your kit sketch is terrific. I have a sketch that's nearly finished and I'll post it when I get it done. It's a challenge to roam the room while I'm teaching and then keep up with the exercises for each class.

Did you decide upon a Title Page for your book? Do you have an intent for it?

I hope that others following our adventure will post their stuff as well!

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2016, 02:21 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

As I mentioned earlier, I decided to use the portrait oriented sketchbook as my demo for this workshop. I like that format for most things. The landscape oriented books are absolutely great for plein air, though, and I'll break into one of them as the weather improves.

So... here are the few things I've been up to with this book.

The cover is decorated with paper I printed on my gelli plate. I glued a few buttons on it.

Inside covers:

I downloaded the image of the Art Cats from the internet, making sure to include the Artist's name to give credit where it's due.

My Art Kit... well, only part of it:

And a few of Life's Guidelines:

#48   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2016, 06:28 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

*pulls up chair for stamp demo* Love your intro pages!

I have used other materials for stamps, very curious now how you'll be doing yours. The Gelli printing system looks fabulous, are you teaching it? The aforementioned calligraphy teacher introduced us to Gocco and brought her machine in for a demo. I have craved one ever since but thought they were too expensive. Gelli seems like a similar-looking print at a much more affordable cost.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2016, 10:57 AM
New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer72
What paper are using/do you recommend?
If I fold Arches like that, it will crack! This is how I tear the Arches paper.

Pat

Try wetting your paper ONLY at the crease line with a small round brush. I would measure and lightly draw (with pencil) where you want the crease line first, then brush it with the dampened brush. It will crease easily where you've wetted it, exactly where you want it.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2016, 12:18 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

Hi there! I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. I do have a LOT of stamps to share with you. I'll get some photos taken of them and then write up a very short set of instructions. Honestly, it's SO easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Also, today, following several internet instruction sites, I've made two gelli plates! Yes, two of them. One with my Tuesday Morning Student and one for myself. They will need to set and then cure for 24 hours. But, this process was also incredibly easy. The mono prints, decorated with homemade stamps, make great collage papers for your journals!

#51   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2016, 03:36 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

Hiya! So, I have lots of images to share with you. I've been busy making things to augment the journaling process. It's not always necessary to draw, paint or write in your journals. You can decorate your pages with other mediums using stamps or printed papers to make collages, etc.

First, the stamps. I bought thin foam rubber sheets from the Dollar Store. The packages include a LOT of sheets with various textured and plain surfaces. Then, I bought a piece of 1" styrofoam insulation. Now, if you can find a Builder who has some small pieces that he's tossing out, I recommend you do that. I had to buy a gigantic piece and can now make stamps for the entire Canadian nation.

Then I drew little images on the foam, cut them out with my x-acto knife and affixed them to the little squares of insulation that I cut from the big board using white glue. Don't use white glue. It doesn't hold. I then re-glued them to the squares with acrylic matte medium. It takes awhile to set, but the shapes are nice and tight.

Here's a quick sample of what they look like on paper. I used an ink stamp pad, but would normally just use acrylic. I have even painted watercolour over my stamps and that also works beautifully.

Now, I do own a large gelli plate and I love to print papers from it. It makes beautiful mono prints and it's actually quite addictive as you print more and more! However, I recently learned that the plates are really expensive. I knew that there were recipes on the internet, so I took the plunge and made two of them! One for my friend and one for me. They turned out fabulously!

You need some easily obtainable ingredients. Four boxes of Knox Gelatine and two bottles of Food Safe Glycerine (obtained at the pharmacy); also a plastic container with a lid is really ideal.

My recipe makes a 9x13" plate but my container is 7x10" and I really like the size and thickness that it made. I'll organize the instructions and get them typed out for you if you're interested.

#52   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2016, 03:46 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

My youngest child does not draw or paint or craft or do art of any kind. But McKenzie writes. A lot. I decided to see if I could make a diary type of journal. Part of the challenge would be finding lined sheets that could be used like notebooks. I wasn't quite sure how I'd make the signatures.

Shopping at Michaels, I found some adorable notebooks that were just a little smaller than the covers I'd already cut from matte board. I bought three books at $1.50 each, thinking they'd be a perfect fit for the piece of spine board. In putting this together, I realized that only two of the little books would work.

I opened the books to the centre and wound my cord through them. The two pieces of twine didn't look very nice, so I braided the loose ends around the wound pieces.

#53   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2016, 04:24 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

You are on a roll Char, these are looking great.

Doug
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2016, 01:44 AM
Enthusiast
Wickenburg, Arizona

5 stars from me. I love this thread!

Which would be the bigger waste:
your art supplies, or your creative soul?
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2016, 07:09 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't know what a Gelli Plate is? I've looked on Amazon and see them for sale but I'm none the wise. How does it work?
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2016, 08:40 AM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

Awh... thanks so much Doug and Dragon! Leading this Workshop has been a very unexpected happy experience for me! I've had a blast doing and trying new things, all the while organizing them into something memorable!

Que Sera... a Gelli Printing Plate is a gelatin based plate used to create mono prints. My commercial plate, which is a giggly wiggly flat surface, is a large 12x15". The plate that I made is much smaller at 7x10".

My homemade plate is simply a combination of simple ingredients. Four ounces of gelatin, 12 ounces of glycerin and two cups of water. Once everything is blended (and dissolved), the mixture was poured into a plastic container that will be useful in storing the plate. The gelatin sets and then can literally be lifted from its storage container and set onto a clean surface.

Now, the fun begins. Place daubs of acrylic paint or acrylic inks on it. Using a brayer, smooth out the colour. Then stamp textures onto this colour using household items, stamps, etc. and finally lay a sheet of paper over this. Pull the paper away from the plate and, voila! You'll have a gorgeous mono print!

#57   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2016, 09:02 AM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

I downloaded these images from Teach Kids Art:

The plate, brayer and acrylics:

Spread the paint and place something over the plate to create texture:

Pull the print:

Add another colour onto the plate:

Now add something else for texture:

Lay your paper over the plate, press it out and then pull the print:

Now... remembering that we're in the Watercolour Forum, these few exercises are not intended to be your medium of choice in your sketchbooks. I'm providing you with these options to augment and/or decorate your books. I used gelli printed papers to decorate the covers of my homemade books.

And, what's a lot of fun with the stamps that I demonstrated, is that they work equally well when painted with a saturated watercolour mix. I make Christmas tags and cards using my stamps and my own watercolour palette. The potential for design is limitless... and a great opportunity to be creative when muses go walkabout!

#58   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2016, 09:41 AM

Thanks for that demonstration, Char, I was following your posts while I was in India where I bought some journals containing hand made paper which are covered in fabric from old saris. We also visited a place where fabric was being block printed and I bought a couple of "stamps", so that's my first page sorted if I have any books left once my friends have seen them.

The item you call a brayer is, I think, a print roller in the UK. It's an interesting technique.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2016, 09:43 AM
Enthusiast
Wickenburg, Arizona

Doesn't the gelatin thing spoil? I *assumed* a gelli plate was made of something with a gel-like texture, not actual gelatin....

Which would be the bigger waste:
your art supplies, or your creative soul?
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2016, 09:57 AM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

DragonLady... The food safe glycerin acts as a plasticizer and the plate will not spoil! If you feel uncomfortable leaving it at room temperature, you can store it in the refrigerator. Every few months, it can be cut into pieces and placed in a large glass bowl, microwaved to remelt it and then poured back into its storage container.

Que Sera... I hope you'll share your beautiful cover pages with us. They sound absolutely beautiful! Yes, a brayer really is simply a roller that's made from hard rubber.