WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portraiture Forum Library Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2015, 09:54 AM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States
Re: The 12th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap Pairings and Paintings thread!

Maryna - you are welcome - It always comes at a crazy time for my work but I enjoy doing it so I hope everyone has as much fun doing it as I do watching the works and connections pour in!!! Cheers to you and all and have fun!

Kevin
"kevinwueste" on instagram
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2015, 11:22 AM
California

Hails from United States
Re: The 12th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap Pairings and Paintings thread!

Still trying to connect with my partner. Dea, I sent you a PM with my email address. Hopefully, we can connect soon and swap photos.

Thanks, Kevin, for all the great administrating of the Portrait Swap again this year!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Germany (Born Australia)

Hails from Australia

Only if I had know......

http://www.facebook.com/dartairbrush
http://slipery.wix.com/d-art
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast
Woburn, Massachusetts

Hails from United States

Thanks Toril! I think my process is a little of the norm but it works for ME . I'm going to be working on Maryna's portrait once I get out of work tonight.

Maryna, I just get so lost in my creative process. I love to draw and it's a big part of who I am. I hope that love and enthusiasm comes out in my work.

The swaps are always so much fun and I personally always learn a lot. Kevin, YES, thank you so much for doing ALL that you do for us. Every year the swap gets bigger and better. I can't wait to see everyone's progress and the final pieces. I'm also looking forward to seeing the photos of everyone with their portraits. So exciting!

-Ricky
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2015, 01:20 PM
Enthusiast
Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Thanks Kevin for organizing again !

Sherry I got your message alright and I have send a few photos to your mail account ....

Walter
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2015, 03:53 PM
A Local Legend
Gretton

Hails from United Kingdom

Thanks for getting this excellent activity together for us all again, Kevin.
Very pleased to find myself paired with Lauren for the swap.
I'm over in the States for most of this month but will get sorted out with regard to reference photos before I go and get stuck in properly on my return.
Tally ho!.....
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2015, 06:54 PM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States

@NancyS - give her a bit to respond - I'm sure it will be good! ( ok 99%)
@DarrelMarks - it's been advertised here for three weeks! ( and in other forums as well.. there is always next year or if you would like to be considered as back-up we can do that!
@Cheers Ricky!
@ Walter - happy to do it!
@122Harry - you coming this way on your visit ?
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2015, 07:37 PM
A Local Legend
Gretton

Hails from United Kingdom

We are, Kevin. We're stopping in San Francisco from 10th until 14th November before crossing the Bay to Lafayette for the Thanksgiving period.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2015, 07:48 PM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Harry -- how wonderful that you will be in those wonderful places in the U.S.!
Perhaps you can see Kevin when you are in SF. Have a wonderful time in Louisiana -- a rather wonderful place. I've never been (though my husband has been to New Orleans and loved it).
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Peoria IL

Hails from Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by xislandman
Hi Michael... my email is [email protected]. Send me a couple of photos to muse and I will return with a couple of mine. Should be fun.

Scary pictures sent, Dennis. If anything it might help solve any pests problems (in case you have one) or to keep them gators away.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Immortalized
Madison, WI

Hails from Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwueste
@DarrelMarks - it's been advertised here for three weeks! ( and in other forums as well.. there is always next year or if you would like to be considered as back-up we can do that!

Kevin, I think Bethany just asked in the other thread if she could join? Maybe she can team up with Darrel?
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2015, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Jacksonville, FL

Reaching out to Mr Estes. I guess I am lucky one other person wanted domestic too! Does Estes refer to Estes Park? I visited there for a few days when I lived in CO. PM about pics headed your way.

Shippeecraft.blogspot.com
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2015, 10:47 PM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucylove
Reaching out to Mr Estes. I guess I am lucky one other person wanted domestic too! Does Estes refer to Estes Park? I visited there for a few days when I lived in CO. PM about pics headed your way.

Jess, it can speed up things to send Mr. Estes a PM with your email address (regular email address) so the photo sharing can begin.. you were one of 4 total US domestic swappers this year ! Cheers,

Kevin
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2015, 12:11 AM
Enthusiast
Woburn, Massachusetts

Hails from United States

Here's an update on my portrait of Maryna. I'm not liking this, I may start it over. Her eyes are off and I'm not liking the shadows. I always have trouble with smooth transition from dark to light. I wasn't going to use any blending tools but then I started getting nervous and I reverted back to blending. I need to keep practicing. I know I can do better, it's got to be perfect.

Thanks,
~Ricky
Attached Images

Last edited by rickycorbett : 11-03-2015 at 12:21 AM.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2015, 07:52 AM
Enthusiast
Woburn, Massachusetts

Hails from United States

So after taking a break and walking away from my portrait of Maryna, and having a good night's sleep. I looked at this again this morning and I admit, it's starting to grow on me. I'm going to continue on with this version but I CAN make it look better.

So far, I'm using a Pentel P205 mechanical pencil with a 2B lead only. I'm going to switch and use Derwent drawing pencils. I'm going to go over the lighter side with a harder lead, maybe a 4H and then a 2H to try to get in more mid tones. I'm also going to work in the shadows a bit more to make that transition from dark to light a bit smoother and more natural looking. I'm thinking of using 2B, 4B, and then possible a 6B in the darkest area.

For her eyes, I'm going to be focusing on the mid tones in her eyes as well and put in more reflections and highlights to give more shape and to show natural moisture in the eye.

I'm also going to try to stop the "blending" with soft restroom tissue paper, I want to try to use the pencil and varying hand pressure to try to create natural smooth looking skin and natural textures.

I'll be working on this later tonight and I'm confident that this will start to look much better than it does now. More to come soon!

-Ricky