WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portraiture Forum Library Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Sydney

Hails from Australia
Re: The 10th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap Pairings and Paintings thread!

Hey there all

It's great to see so many fantastic portraits being posted here!! Always good to see the progress shots too. I would like to comment on each and all, unfortunately time always seems to be pressed so can't do so at the moment. But, while I hesitate to single any work out, I just can't help myself... wal_t - that is just stunning!!

I thought I'd post my progress to date, very little at this time, but now I'm off the starting blocks, I hope it will move along in the right direction.. This is my starting point of a monochrome oil sketch in Burnt Sienna. I may develop the values and drawing further as the next step or just dive in with colour and see what happens! As you can see, I still haven't established a set procedure and approach... We'll just have to see how it goes!

I am torn between which of two photos to use, so may have a shot at both of them, time permitting.

My first stage of the lovely 'Dea', about 2 and a bit hours on 40 x 30cm (16"x12") oil on canvas toned grey. Lots to fix and develop but I hope her essence is in there somewhere. Dodgy iPad photo...

C&C alway welcome

Cheers
Darius

#62   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2013, 11:47 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Re: The 10th Annual WetCanvas Holiday Portrait Swap Pairings and Paintings thread!

Great work everyone. Love watching these people appear!

(I sure did recognize you from Tina's sketches, Nancy!)

I wasn't totally happy with my skin tones so I did some glazing tonight and also darkened Judy's hair. I am going to call it done now, unless she has some changes. Little nervous, as she has not posted anything about it-- whether she likes it OR dislikes it.

#63   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2013, 12:07 AM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

hey all,

i second darius, not wanting to single anyone out and not having time to comment on everyone's (they're all great), but wal-t that is really awesome. and lucylove i dig what you're doing with the colors so far.

i was able to get a couple hours in on diane, not too pleased yet (i'll call this the "ugly" stage) but i did do some sculpting with color anyway. some parts i like, but most of it will get plenty of enhancement. i also lost the glasses for now (a new challenge!) but will put those back in the end. didn't do any work on the eyes, so they still look pretty dull. i might do a little more blending, then let this layer dry.
i included the crop to try and show some texture
Attached Images

My Blog
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2013, 12:24 AM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal_t
Update as I had some time tonight, picture in artifical light, next is the dress that has a lot of color in it (besides the blue shadows) Walter

Walt - so good! so many good things here everyone! I feel like I did not get to come to the dance that I have in my own basement!! So much for that! Great to see all the energy and work going on - I cannot comment on everyone's work at the moment ( 6 classes this semester I am teaching [email protected]#%@$) but great to see everyone "on-game!"

Kevin
"kevinwueste" on instagram
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2013, 12:24 AM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollardays
Great work everyone. Love watching these people appear!

(I sure did recognize you from Tina's sketches, Nancy!)

I wasn't totally happy with my skin tones so I did some glazing tonight and also darkened Judy's hair. I am going to call it done now, unless she has some changes. Little nervous, as she has not posted anything about it-- whether she likes it OR dislikes it.

Well done Nora!!!

Kevin
"kevinwueste" on instagram
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2013, 12:42 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

What beautiful work! I really feel challenged...Nora, that is wildly beautiful!!! And Judy has such a lively expression, I love it! Judy, I'm so glad you've gotten such a good photo to Nora; the cast shadows are exquisite.

Tina, argghh! You got me! So totally recognizable that nobody could disagree there. You sure you can't give me a nose job while you're at it? I need to get busy with yours now that I've got some other obligations met!

#67   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2013, 03:05 AM
Enthusiast
Luzern, where mountains are...

Hails from Ukraine

It is so inspiring to see everyone's progress!
I started yesterday sketch of Walter (wal_t). Pictures will come soon.

PROUD TO BE UKRAINIAN
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2013, 03:13 AM
Enthusiast
Luzern, where mountains are...

Hails from Ukraine

Love this, Walter!
It's me 200%! (Actually, even when my husband saw your first WIP photo, he thought it was finished... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal_t
Update as I had some time tonight, picture in artifical light, next is the dress that has a lot of color in it (besides the blue shadows) Walter

PROUD TO BE UKRAINIAN
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast
Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Maryna, that's encouraging hope I do not spoil it when detailing the dress somewhat.

I like that portrait of Judy, looks great and nice skin tones in light and in shadow. Interesting thread with nice works and always good to see so many different approaches and materials being used.

Walter
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Germany

so many great portraits here
I am not sure if I can keep up with you.......
I got my ref photos and I do hope I can get starting tomorrow night.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Enthusiast
San Antonio, Texas

Hails from United States

Everybody is doing such wonderful progress on their portraits. They all look great.

Nice work Adam, I forget to tell you to slim off a few inches from my cheeks.

This is what I have done so far on Mr. Adam Rice. Still need to work on several things cause it's amazing how you can spot something when you take a picture of it especially when I left off his eyelashes.

#72   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Jax. FL

Hails from United States

Progress of my portrait of Friesin..kind of messy but coming around. About tw0 hours work.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Cleveland, Ohio

Hails from United States

I love to see all the different styles and approaches. Painting, anything other than walls and houses, is so very new to me. I used to do some watercolor and a little less acrylic years ago. I've learned a lot in the few short weeks since I've joined wetcanvas.com. Thanks to all of you.

- John
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Cleveland, Ohio

Hails from United States

Great progress Shubert. Why/why is the bottom image so dark?

- John
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Jax. FL

Hails from United States

John I tried to enhance the third one with my photo app. They are all bad iPhone pictures. The last one is close to the value of the painting.