WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2003, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Escondido, CA

Hails from United States
Emille Gruppe put out two books on brushwork. The first in 1977 titled "Brushwork" had very few color plates and that probably made it unsuccessful. In 1983 he came out with a revised edition titled "Brushwork for the Oil Painter" which has many more color plates.

Howard
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2003, 06:06 AM
USA

Hails from United States
The Illuminated Landscape by Poskas and Smith

The beautiful work of Peter Poskas. Although it is not a step-by-step book of technique it offers commentary by the artist describing how he approached individual pieces from a large selection of his work -moods in rural farmland and architecture is his subject of choice.

Here is an example of his style:

See more of <a href=http://www.artincontext.org/artist/p/peter_poskas/images.htm target=>Peter Poskas</a>
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2003, 06:45 PM
Nebraska

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Domer

I'd like a book that explains

-how to paint various skies; how to shape the clouds, where the different colours are found in clouds and why
-the different general shapes of various trees
-the colour progression of a tree trunk from shadow to midtone to highlight

etc...

Margaret Kessler's "Painting Better Landscapes" discusses quite a few whys & wherefores of lighting conditions and their effects on the colors of skies, trees, foliage, etc. It's been one of my favorite books now for years.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2004, 11:51 AM
Immortalized
Greenbrier, Arkansas

Hails from United States
Re: Best Landscape books

Brushwork by Emille Gruppe is a very good book. Very hard to come by and expensive to say the very least. More than schmids.

I have purchased Larry Seilers CD book. I think it is very good, but I need it to be in book form so I can read it in bed. I have had it for a couple of months now and will be printing a few pages off to begin with. I just can't seem to get into reading a text book on the computer that should be enjoyed while sitting quietly in bed or when everyone is asleep.

P
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2004, 12:43 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Rust Belt

Hails from United Nations

Can anyone recommend a good landscape book using watercolour exclusively? Most, if not all of those recommended here, seem to relate to oil.

Thanks (this thread just seemed to re-appear).
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2004, 02:41 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars
Can anyone recommend a good landscape book using watercolour exclusively? Most, if not all of those recommended here, seem to relate to oil.

Thanks (this thread just seemed to re-appear).

One of the best I've seen and have owned for a long time is called, "Ways With Watercolor" by Ted Kautsky

abailable here at Amazon.com-

and the absolute must for any watercolorist is Little's book on John Singer Sargent, called- "The Watercolors of John Singer Sargent"

Larry
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Rust Belt

Thanks, Larry - I just ordered the "Ways" book - coincidentally and glad you are recommending it. I think I'll spring for the Little book but wonder if you own it if it has the Corfu house in it. I'd love to see that one better than I can on this little 'puter!

Appreciate your answering!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2004, 01:06 AM

I think I have studied just about every book listed in this thread(recently). Schmid's book is good, although part of me feels I have to say that because of what I paid for it!!!

Truly, Carlson's book does it for me...every sentence seems to ring true. I remember seeing this book on the shelves and thumbing through it and laughing at the crudeness and no color!! It wasn't until I read this thread that I purchased the book and it's now my bible. Although, I must say that Carlson would not have been a fan of today's plein air painters - a direction I hope to head in at some point.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2004, 12:32 PM
A Local Legend
London

Hails from United Kingdom

I'm confused by this thread. Are the books mentioned about:
  • why one paints?
  • painting landscapes?
  • landscape painting for advanced painters?
  • landscape painting for beginners?
  • painting in oils?
  • painting in watercolours?
Or what? I thought the original question was about landscape painting.

I'm no wiser than when I first started reading as to whether any of these books might be suitable for me.

Maybe somebody could do a resume sometime soon indicating the specific merits of each book in relation to painting landscapes - and maybe whether they're more suitable for beginners or advanced artists?
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Rust Belt

Katherine, I asked the watercolour question here at the Landscape forum because I follow this and the plein aire forum but want to paint scapes with transparent watercolour. I haven't posted any of my work, yet, but that is coming soon.

Larry recommended Kautsky's book which I had just coincidently ordered. I agree it is a good book and is helping round me off with perhaps Robert Wade's books. I am practicing small studies one at a time: a window, a door, the side of a building, the view of the New York skyline using some of the techniques, and ideas I'm gleaning from Kautsky and Wade. I'd recommend these two painters highly for both technique and inspiration.

Now if you hadn't written I might not have gone back through the whole thread and then I would have missed the reference to the Illuminated Landscape, Peter Poskas work. I found this book, today, at my local second hand shop and was thrilled.

Both Little's book of JSS's work and this Poskas are more about seeing than techniques. Observing JSS's work is a feast for the eye and following his brush strokes an education at the graduate school level. Poskas' work was an emotional experience for me in more personal terms. His studies of places are intimate and illuminating and reflect an atmosphere of my New England days. Poskas works the way I want to work in watercolour. In fact, two of the paintings in Illuminated Landscape are watercolour.

Hope these short reviews are helpful to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySeiler
One of the best I've seen and have owned for a long time is called, "Ways With Watercolor" by Ted Kautsky

abailable here at Amazon.com-

and the absolute must for any watercolorist is Little's book on John Singer Sargent, called- "The Watercolors of John Singer Sargent"

Larry
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2004, 11:10 AM
Immortalized
Heart of Missouri's Outback!

Hails from United States

The greatest influence in my paintings have been Jerry Yarnell.

http://www.yarnellart.com

He has a series of books that start with the basics and slowly adds and builds on what you've learned in the first books. He also has video tapes. I strongly recommend the "Beginning Brush Strokes" video tape. He does a great job of explaining the stroke in the books, but seeing it done is much better.

For water color, it is hard to beat Tony Couch.

http://www.tonycouch.com

He has won numerous awards, and has out two or three books. He starts off with different watercolor techniques then talks about composition. "Keys to Successfull Landscapes" I think is one title, it might be Watercolor instead of Landscapes, and the other is "Watercolor: You can Do It". Both books have great sections on composition.

Zoltan Szabo is another great watercolorist that has good books. I think I own two of them, and I don't paint with watercolor. I do like his compositions, and instructions on composition. One thing I like about his books, is he will show you how to paint a picture, using certain techniques, then he has a small pencil sketch, and wants you to paint a larger version using the painting techniques you just used. It helps to reinforce the skills you just learned. I like his paintings better than Tony's, they are very captivating, yet simple.

I too like Margaret Kessler's book.

Don
PS: I've requested Jerry Yarnell's books at my local Library, they now have 6 of the 8 books he has out. They don't have the first one of his latest one, "Color". Book 6 is Composition, and book 7 is Perspective. I own 4 of his books, and about 10 of his videos. Painting along with one of his videos is great. You can see him make the brush strokes, then stop and try to copy his technique, you can back it up three or more times if you need to. I miss some little part of his technique, and find being able to watch, try, rewatch, then learn what I missed really helps.

Here is the last painting I did from one of his books. This came out of Book 6 Composition.
Attached Images

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2004, 09:34 PM
A Local Legend
London

Hails from United Kingdom

In relation to the response to my last post, I'm still inclined to think that it would have been helpful to have given some guidance to this thread for example: when responding to the question posed " What do you think are the best landscape books?" people could have provided some basic info about eg:
  • the level of painter it might suit best eg beginner or advanced
  • the medium(s) covered by the author - some books about paintings in a specfic medium are intesting to those using a different medium but not all
This isn't the same as an Amazon critique - but it sure helps those of us who have got limited time to decide whether or not we want to read through very long/wordy posts!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2004, 10:24 PM
Central Illinois

Hails from United States

Thanks for the lead on Peter Poskas. Really great stuff!
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2004, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Central Oregon

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine T
In relation to the response to my last post, I'm still inclined to think that it would have been helpful to have given some guidance to this thread for example: when responding to the question posed " What do you think are the best landscape books?" people could have provided some basic info about eg:
  • the level of painter it might suit best eg beginner or advanced
  • the medium(s) covered by the author - some books about paintings in a specfic medium are intesting to those using a different medium but not all
This isn't the same as an Amazon critique - but it sure helps those of us who have got limited time to decide whether or not we want to read through very long/wordy posts!

I tend to agree with you Katherine, I have used Amizon and not really found a lot of help. I was excited when I saw this thread and will have to go back and wade through all of the lengthy comments to find the original intent of the thread which is a good book for us beginners. the thread seemed to get off track there for a minute but who am I to say. just intrested in a good book.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2004, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Central Oregon

Hails from United States

The books I have on painting that I have enjoyed are Keven McPersons filling your paintings with color and light. Good book in my opnion.

The big Book of painting nature in oil by Allyn Schaeffer Photo by John Shaw
I like this book a lot 400 pages 8 1/4 X 11" 600 full color illustrations.
nice picutes, close up's of the work, a photo of the subject and then photos of the WIP. Short and to the point descriptions including colors and how to's
I paid full retail of 29.95 for this a barns and noble which I usually dont do but this was an impulse buy for me and I don't regret this one. bet you could find it for less out there some where.
I have a couple Jerry Yarnell's and a Bob Ross as well. Like Jerry and Bob but didn't really scratch the itch I have.
I have a few others but don't have them handy and have checked out a few from our Libirary mostly of the great masters work which one should study as well and this is a free thing which we all like.
Bfn R