WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2003, 08:54 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Hails from United Kingdom
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR WONDERFULLY ENCOURAGING COMMENTS!!

It means a lot to me to get such fabulous and positive feedback from you guys as I respect all of you for your talents and abilities in this medium and I have learned oodles from you all and I continue to do so!

I think I might try and redo my posting of this progress shot -as I think I can improve the quality of the image, so watch out for an improved version(hopefully?? Keep your finger's crossed for me OK?? LOL).

Just to reiterate a point I made further up when responding to fabulous Moo , the areas that you can see have white showing through are not completed yet. In fact they are all in the very early stages of receiving their layers of colour, so please do not think that the image is a copy of a completed section of my work because there is only a small part that is actually finished.

I might if any of you would like me to, Post the sections as I received them. It will mean -hopefully -that you get a truer idea of what it looks like plus it will be a closer up shot of each section, PLEASE CAN YOU ALL GIVE ME YOUR OPINION ON THIS -

SHOULD I PROVIDE CLOSE UPS OF THE INDIVIDUAL SECTIONS AS THEY WERE BEFORE I PUT THEM TOGETHER??? PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO??

Big Hugs to you ALL,

ALI

P.S. Arlene if you have time could you give me your opinion on my idea for the area around the flower, I want to simplify the background there as I feel the reference shot is too complicated to let the flower shine as it should being the main focus -what do you think? I thought I would just repeat the Lilypads up there maybe five of assorted sizes??
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2003, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Australia
Hey....yep,yep,yep hand up for close ups but only if it isnt to much trouble for you Ali.
Moo
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2003, 03:08 AM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Thank you Moo for responding -your a star!!

Well lets see if this will work -I don't know if the quality is up to scratch so here goes -

Yehhhhh!! It worked At least with this you can see my pencil work right next one - I have to go and aler the pixel sizes on the rest of them now, so they will follow in a seperate reply .

I am going to try re-posting the joined together sections now I know what to do!!

Big Hugs,

ALI
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2003, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Australia
Cooollllll....knew you could do it.
Amazing though isnt it seeing the difference that layers creates when next to parts that dont have as many.Look forward to seeing the rest.
Moo
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2003, 06:46 AM
A Local Legend
NC

Hails from United States
I am impressed on how wonderful this is turning out. Just beautiful!
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2003, 09:29 AM
Lord of the Arts
Littleton, CO

Hails from United States
Looking good, Ali! Can't wait to see those big ol' water lily leaves done!

Cindy
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
New Jersey

Hails from United States
Oh Ali, you are such an inspiration. You're so young and you've gone through so much!!

You are doing an awesome job with these lily pads!! You know, the grisaille is such a time intensive way to work and you should be proud of yourself that you are sticking with it. I'm trying it myself and it's hard not to give up! I love CP, but didn't realize that the grisaille I was trying would be so time-consuming. Usually I work light to dark but figured on my new project, I would try something different. I'll post it soon. . . I want to finish a little bit more of it before I post. It won't be done of course, but I still want to post it.

Anyway, you are doing a fabulous job and just wait. . . . you will be able to get your own scanner someday and then voila! you'll be able to post your own stuff!!

You're amazing. Keep going!!

Big Hugs,
Angela
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2003, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
New Jersey

Hails from United States
And yes, post the shots before you put them together. We're all artists, we can glue them all together in our heads!
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2003, 10:52 AM
A Local Legend
Toronto

Hails from Canada
Gorgeous detail Ali!!!

The texture visible on the areas with light layers reminds me of one side of Fabriano Classico. Is this the Lana paper?

BTW... How do you focus only on a detail out of a scan? Using Photoshop???
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2003, 11:26 AM
Immortalized
Parker, CO

Hails from United States
WOW!! Ali! - This is coming along beautfiully - I LOVE the colors - I can't wait 2 c yer progress, even more so - u really r doing a fabulous job !!

All works are copyrighted and may not be copied, reproduced, or downloaded without my written consent.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2003, 02:36 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

AWWWWWWww...... THANKS YOU GUYS!! IT MEANS SOOOO......... MUCH TO ME, ESPECIALLY AS I ADMIRE EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU!!!

I am going to post the other sections or at least one more that has more on it and you will be able to see more of a contrast with that one between the completed areas and the just started areas .

Angela -thank you so much for your sweet words, I am quite young and possibly I have had more than my share of heartache so far but I know that everyone has there own crosses to bare and I try not to be negative about my life especially as everything is looking up for me now . But thank you for noting that and appreciating what I have been through -it helps!! believe me it really helps and having you guys supporting me is a godsend I feel so damn lucky to have found this site and have had the opportunity to get to know so many beautiful people, so thank you honey!! I can't wait to see your work it sounds lovely -its strawberries right?? come on don't be shy let us see your masterpiece and I know it will be. You are right the Grisaille method is time consuming but I feel well worth it, especially when I read all the fabulous responses I get , so keep going I know it will be well worth your effort.

You Guys ALL ROCK!!!!! I feel very lucky and daily count my lucky stars!!

Big Hugs to you ALL,

ALI
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2003, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Hey Ali I LOVE IT!I LOVE IT!I LOVE IT!
Keep going!
Looks great!
Can't wait to see finished one!
Hu-g-g-gs!!!!!!!!!
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2003, 10:28 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Thank you so much Alyona -I am soooo.... pleased you love it! I am going to get some more done tonight (she says looking at her watch and realising the night is almost over!! ). Where does the time go....sheesh!! Oh! well, onwards and upwards as they say . Again, thank you honey I value your opinion .

I realised on re-reading this thread that some of you asked me questions and I have not addressed them -so sorry! In answer to your question MOO - I do not remember all the details that I wrote down after your response, geez... that would be a miracle given my appalling memory LOL. No, I remember a while back Arlene and Leanne I think mentioning keeping a notebook to write things down for each artwork. So, I got a free hardback sketch book with my Prisma colour box set and so I went ahead and wrote down what colours I needed for all my lilypads and in what order and how many layers of each, it really, really helped me as I said my memory is extremely poor due to the strength of the pain relief I take so it was an absolute necessity for me to write things down. Anyway, I left space to do the same for each area of my picture, so I now have the same process for the waterlily flower's petals. I had it anyway because I had to experiment on a scrap piece of the same paper to get the right colour for my petals seeing as I was starting with the complement -Burnt Ochre and the final colour needs to be a mix of blue and violet -I needed to work out how to get to that colour -so I have a note of that too. I will also do the same for the center of the flower and the water has been partly noted down. I guess I am pretty anal, LOL So there you go now you know -exciting Huh??? Heehee!

RAQUEL - to answer your question -yes, I am using Lana paper, it is the only suitable paper I have for colour pencil right now, although Wingnut kindly sent me some small pieces of Stonehenge to try and Fabriano, I want to use them for small studies of flowers and so I don't want to waste them on experimenting alone.

So there you go folks -extremely boring but all necessary -if anyone would like me to I can get a scan of my notes when I next get a scan of this picture -let me know if you would like that??

AGAIN -Thank you ALL for your continued support and wonderful encouragement, it is the ONLY thing that keeps me working at this piece, so you are all very important to me, so please do not stop responding to my progress shots, I value what you have to say greatly.

I have one query?? Is there nothing in my picture that needs altering or improving? I am amazed that there has been no critiques at all on my piece -am I doing that well??

Big Hugs,

ALI
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2003, 10:38 PM
Enthusiast
Upstate NY

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Jazz
I have one query?? Is there nothing in my picture that needs altering or improving? I am amazed that there has been no critiques at all on my piece -am I doing that well??

Of course you are!!!

I have heard the languages of the apocalypse, and now I shall embrace the silence.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2003, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member
Beneath the stars

Hails from United States
Man, Ali, this is so gorgeous! (as always!) Absolutely Icredible! I am eagerly waiting for the next update! Bee-u-ti-ful!!

"God is the Lord of angels, and of men-- and of elves." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

If figure skating were any easier...it would be HOCKEY!

All my artwork is copyright protected and may not be copied, printed, or reproduced in any way without my written permission 2003