WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2003, 06:00 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
California

Hails from United States
yes was thinking of it, but don't jknow if i have the time to do something like that.

Will have to read through entire thread and see what i can come up with.

My Etsy My Blog My AC
My Deviant Art
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2003, 11:04 PM
A Local Legend
London, Ontario

Hails from Canada
this is looking stunning!!

Are you having trouble with the horses? It looks like you might be.

#33   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2003, 01:34 AM
The best from the Mid-west.

Hails from United States
Well this is an impressive commission! And it's not even done yet!

I have done several murals and how you write about it is very recognizable to me. It's indeed a very good thing to be single at this point.

I have done two murals in restaurants, but they didn't let me paint during opening hours, I had to do it while they were closed, which means sleeping at daytime and working at night. That's a good thing that the owner agreed on letting you work during the day.

Murals are kind of special to me since my background comes from graffiti and that's a whole different story, anyways except for human skin is a wall or other large object a very nice thing to work on. The humanskin part is that I want to tattoo one day, so I can see how that works.

Back to your project: I love the detailing you are putting in it and it contributes to the mural. Besides the overall impression, you also can look at it while sitting close to it. I am also impressed that you only use brushes. I like to use airbrush also for it, since you can speed up things and you can use the exact same paint as with the regular brushes.

Did you prime the wall or did you go right on the stuco? Most of the time a wall isn't all that sexy when you start on it, so I like to prime it with a layer of whitepaint with a slight addition of black, so you get a lightgrey wall. This is somehow convenient, because you can determine colours better on such a large scale with grey as background than on white. White has on large surfaces the nasty habit of blinding, like when you are skiing without sunglasses, it's too bright "en masse".

Anyways, I am curious where the second room will go to and keep up the good works!!

Martin Hoevenaar

P.s. Take a week off when you are done, I bet you are dreaming all sorts of wildwest things by now...
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2003, 11:09 AM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
What an impressive piece of work...Stunning Mural.
Thanks so much for explaining how you are doing itl
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2003, 11:20 AM
Southeast Missouri

Hails from United States
Well I came back and found all these responses! I will try to answer all that I can and see if that helps.

Quote:
as quoted by Yayagal .

That was a wonderful experience for me to see the progress of a mural so well done. I have purchased several books on the subject and your explanation was more in depth and informative. The mural is wonderful and you are a natural teacher. Thankyou for sharing with us.

I find that this WIP is more like a journal than a teaching tool, though I have taught classes, so it must be rubbing off into this thread! I am glad that I can be of some help for any of you that are taking this to heart.

Quote:
as quoted by amo.
How much paint did it take, roughly, to paint this?
So other than your time & skill put in, what were your other expenses? Did you wear out any brushes on that rough wall surface, or anything?

Well, to try and answer this one, I would have to wait until I finish before I could give you a total count on the paint, but I can say that I have probably put a couple of gallons or so onto the walls thus far. The paint and reducer are for the most part my expenses. There is the gas for my truck to get there, so the cost factor has been kept low. Also I am getting two meals a day there, free of charge. So that keeps my costs down too. As for the brushes: actually the rough texture that you see is not brutal to the brushes. Why? Because the paint that was used on the wall for a base coat, was a semi-gloss paint, and it just lets the brush ride over the surface, thus not hurting the brush at all. I do have one or two cheap 3" brushes that will be replaced soon. I use them for the background, i.e. the sky and the ground.

Next question?

Oh, Bendaini if you want to PM me, I can go over this article thing with you and try to help you out where I can. That way it won't be a big burden on either of us.

Quote:
as quoted by Axl_Happy_Goth.

this is looking stunning!!

Are you having trouble with the horses? It looks like you might be.

Coming from you, I would expect a comment like that!
Horses. Well to tell you the truth I have drawn some horses in my time, but painting them has been a bit different! You can't imagine the reference material that I have with me while I paint! I guess the thing that I have to say about why the horses look the way they do, is that I am not going for total realism here, but I am trying to get as close as I can (given time constraints and price factors) without jeopardizing the look of the mural. It's not easy, as you well know, to get a horse to look right. It takes alot of understanding of how the walk, stand, and even rear up. I have to say this: I know how to paint people. It's been my life. But, horses, well that's a horse of a different color! (ooh, I just had to say that!) At anyrate even if I am not 'spot on' with my horses, the client, who owns a few of her own horses, has been complimenting on my horses. So I guess I am doing okay for the job.

I take it as an honor that you would notice my horses and know that there was something not quite right, Axl. I have seen the things that you do with respect to drawing animals, and your attention to detail is fabulous! I hope that by the time I am through painting this mural that I will have come out of this knowing how to paint a horse!

Quote:
as quoted by BingoBong.

Back to your project: I love the detailing you are putting in it and it contributes to the mural. Besides the overall impression, you also can look at it while sitting close to it. I am also impressed that you only use brushes. I like to use airbrush also for it, since you can speed up things and you can use the exact same paint as with the regular brushes.

First of all thanks for the comments Bingobong. To respond to the airbrushing aspect of painting. I would have chosen that route if given the money to do so. Also I would have had to work at night as well to keep from messing around during food prep time. The brushes give me that painterly look that has been the trademark for me in this area. They really don't expect me to airbrush, then charge them a price that they can't afford.

Quote:
also quoted by BingoBong.
Did you prime the wall or did you go right on the stuco?

I didn't prime the wall, but as mentioned ealier on in the thread, the client had painted the wall, for perhaps the umteenth time, using a perrywinkle blue. The paint was fresh, so I chose not to cover it again, for that would have put me behind the schedule, and I didn't need that. Usually a light grey wall would be the best, but I also try to look at the overall job to see if maybe a beige wall may suffice better. In this case it would have.

Well I have more to post but today will not have pictures as I don't have them ready to post yet. But I can say that the first room has come to the point where I am letting the client choose the signage for the buildings, then I will letter them and do a clear coat.

Last night I was painting in the second room, and it was going along fine. Then as I was talking to the client, I mentioned that it is a shame that the 3rd wall is a block wall, it would have been nice to continue the mural around to include that wall as well. It was then brought up that to fill in the mortar lines and the give it a stucco look, would be easy to do. So, now it is in the works that I will be adding a 3rd wall to the second room! This, folks, has been a fantastic project! I am all to gratefull for having the chance to do it!

I will post again soon.

Terry

"First star on the right, and straight on 'till morning!"

Last edited by coolray : 05-17-2003 at 11:23 AM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2003, 01:42 PM
California

Hails from United States
I was just kind of wondering how you got the job in the first place... I have wanted to do a mural forever, and even started one in one of the places we lived but never got a chance to finish it.

Sucks renting.

My Etsy My Blog My AC
My Deviant Art
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2003, 05:55 PM
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia
so strange how the mind works, i dreamt i saw you painting this mural last night, only it wasnt on a wall in a room it was on boards that you clip together and you were painting outside, it was definately the pics you have posted of your mural tho, so weird!!!

thanks for sharing all your info with us all its such a good insight

My Website
My Blog
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2003, 06:00 PM
A Local Legend
London, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by coolray

Horses. Well to tell you the truth I have drawn some horses in my time, but painting them has been a bit different! You can't imagine the reference material that I have with me while I paint! I guess the thing that I have to say about why the horses look the way they do, is that I am not going for total realism here, but I am trying to get as close as I can (given time constraints and price factors) without jeopardizing the look of the mural. It's not easy, as you well know, to get a horse to look right. It takes alot of understanding of how the walk, stand, and even rear up. I have to say this: I know how to paint people. It's been my life. But, horses, well that's a horse of a different color! (ooh, I just had to say that!) At anyrate even if I am not 'spot on' with my horses, the client, who owns a few of her own horses, has been complimenting on my horses. So I guess I am doing okay for the job.

You are doing a fantastic job It is such a huge project, with so many different components all coming together. What you have accomplished so far is very impressive! I can imagine your trouble with references, lol, it have similar problem with my dragons but yes it is a hell of a hard time to find the perfect reference for the job. Here's a link ou might like tho
http://www.angelfire.com/tx2/horseco...fthehorse.html
http://www.angelfire.com/tx2/horseco...thehorse1.html
watch out for popups!
I don't want to weigh you down with a million comments and pointers or whatever about how perhaps they can improve - I know you are on a deadline, and the client is happy and so is everyone else so it is not like it is a real major issue in the first place! However if you want an extra pair of eyes to point out a few key things that might make them a little better proportioned than just say!

I cant wait to see more

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2003, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Denver, Co

Hails from United States
Keep up the good work! It looks great!!
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2003, 03:31 AM
A Local Legend
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Hey I like your treatment of light, esp on those buildings and the open door!! what a neat work of art...
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2003, 06:10 AM
Resting in Peace
Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, Tennessee

Hails from United States
This is my first time browsing in the Cafe--and aren't I lucky to come across your wonderful thread! Enjoy it thoroughly

I hang out in the watercolor forum.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2003, 11:04 AM
A Local Legend
Adelaide, South Australia but lived much in USA - OR & GA

Hails from Australia

and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations!!!!!
Regards,
Jillian
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2003, 11:55 AM
Southeast Missouri

Hails from United States
Well it's Monday and I am now fully working in the second room. Friday had me painting the background in where I have to work around the people eating. It was not a regular Friday because of the rain, so I was able to work more than I thought I would.

The second room is going to be different in the fact that I have made it mid-day for the time line. I did this for two reasons. One, I wanted to have it seperate from the other room, so there would be contrast between the two. Secondly, I wanted to see what I could do with the same type of theme, but in a different time of day. At first that may not sound hard to do, but it all evolves around making it as convincing as possible.

Quote:
as quoted by Bendaini.
I was just kind of wondering how you got the job in the first place... I have wanted to do a mural forever, and even started one in one of the places we lived but never got a chance to finish it.

Word of mouth does alot. My name had been brought up when the client decided to remodel. I have known the client for a few years, and they knew my work. They just up and called me one day, and that put the job in motion.

Quote:
as quoted by Sanne.
so strange how the mind works, i dreamt i saw you painting this mural last night, only it wasnt on a wall in a room it was on boards that you clip together and you were painting outside, it was definately the pics you have posted of your mural tho, so weird!!!

thanks for sharing all your info with us all its such a good insight

I have always wanted someone to dream about me! But while I'm painting?!? Oh, well, I hope you had a good time. But that is weird, I hope you don't have to see a doctor after this! LOL

Quote:
as quoted by Axl_Happy_Goth.
I don't want to weigh you down with a million comments and pointers or whatever about how perhaps they can improve - I know you are on a deadline, and the client is happy and so is everyone else so it is not like it is a real major issue in the first place! However if you want an extra pair of eyes to point out a few key things that might make them a little better proportioned than just say!

You comment as much as you want! And any pointers you have will be welcome!

Quote:
as quoted by gnu.
Hey I like your treatment of light, esp on those buildings and the open door!! what a neat work of art...

Thanks. I have been pushing the "light" issue with my art lately. It seems that the more I pay attention to that kind of detail, the better the work comes out. There was a time that I didn't do as much in my work, and it showed.

Without the lighting, this wall would not be interesting. I feel that if I include lights in the windows, that it gives the impression that the town is alive with people, and I don't have to paint as many bodies to get that feeling. The power of suggestion is a great tool for painting. Even the sunset gives off a certain mood, and that in itself is something to consider.

So, today I will continue to lay in the background. I am going to add some clouds in the sky, and per some suggestions, I will try to make some that have things that you can pick out in them. It was a silly suggestion, but it warrants looking into for fun.

I have to start later in the day now. The breakfast crowd is so big in that room, that it is hard to work around. So I go in afterwards and set up, then they have to work around me! Heheheh. Once I get set up, then it becomes obvious that I am painting, and the patrons choose other places to sit. So far that has worked out fine. But this is only day 3 for the second wall.

Well, I did go and buy more supplies. So far the cost has been acceptable. I am sure that I will be okay to the point that I will only have to make one more trip to buy supplies before the mural is done. That will bring my cost to about 1/3 of the total price, and that is good. I think that if I keep most of my jobs to a 1/3 cost ratio, I am always doing good. It doesn't always happen that way though.

So, I must go and slap some paint around. Do feel free to comment, and suggest along the way.

Have a great day!

Terry

"First star on the right, and straight on 'till morning!"
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2003, 09:15 PM
Enthusiast
Cape Charles Virginia

Hails from United States
Very nice work Terry! I would love to go eat there and see it all in person. WOW!
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2003, 09:11 AM
Oooooooooooooooooooklahoma

Hails from Australia
Great Job Terry!!!!! Love tha Duke especially... You can see his swagger...LOL.

Chooky

Colleen Brown Fine Art